Strictly no cobs!

TandD

Visit site
I was at a yard that was strictly no mares......instead it was a yard of 25+ geldings! Utterly mad and always fighting/getting into scrapes!

Don't really understand why people limit their client base, but it is their choice!

Kelly1982

Visit site
My friend rented a yard with her 2 welshies. She then got a little traditional. Well bred and does extremely well showing. She got kicked off of the yard for lowering the tonne with a cob. I kid u not!!!

Kat

Visit site
I was at a yard that was strictly no mares......instead it was a yard of 25+ geldings! Utterly mad and always fighting/getting into scrapes!

Don't really understand why people limit their client base, but it is their choice!

Lots of "no mares" yards round here so on our all inclusive yard we have a excess of mares! The mares fight far less than the boys but when they do they mean it!

deb_l222

Visit site
There's a yard near me that won't accept coloured horses of any breed or type. I guess it's the same principal as some boarding kennels not taking certain breeds of dog - their choice.

Elsiecat

Visit site
I guess it's the same principal as some boarding kennels not taking certain breeds of dog - their choice.

Really!? I've never come across that.
I wouldn't trust my dogs with someone who was daft enough to discriminate on the grounds of breeds!

Highlands

Visit site
Or they don't want to attract the unwanted characters that traditional cobs attract

:p Hmmm yes I'm really dodgy... Have trad but pay tax... Work and if I got married I would not require a big dress....

maybe its the fencing .... They don't want a cob that pushes.... Oh well I'm not welcome on that yard.Their loss...

LaMooch

Visit site
:p Hmmm yes I'm really dodgy... Have trad but pay tax... Work and if I got married I would not require a big dress....

maybe its the fencing .... They don't want a cob that pushes.... Oh well I'm not welcome on that yard.Their loss...

I didn't mean the owners I meant the people who may steal them

Cowpony

Visit site
My mare's sire won CHAPS cob of the year some time ago. He was 3/4 KWPN and 1/4 TB! No cob anywhere in his breeding. His sire was Samber, who was the only coloured stallion ever to be graded KWPN. Even now people think my pony is a little Irish cob. One half is as above, the other half is pure Welsh.

Highlands

Visit site
I didn't mean the owners I meant the people who may steal them

True, never thought of them as a attraction therefore a yard no no. They can have mine at he mo. she has serious spring fever and is tradding around like a welshie with her tail high being a prat and a pain to catch!

Rollin

Visit site
I know why. It is one of those yards which has nicely clipped standard box trees in pots outside each stable.

You cannot train a cob to clip them correctly.

RainbowDash

Visit site
I agree its rather odd. Perhaps another yard owner has warned of a troublesome ex-livery with a cob and doesnt want this livery to apply for a space? Only sensible reason I can think off other than cob-bias :(

LynH

Visit site
I worked on one yard and was a livery on another and both didn't want coloureds as liveries. I had to politely find out more about the potential livery and put them off if it was a coloured cob. I only found out about the one I was a livery at much later but did recall being asked a lot about the horse on the phone.

I have a small yard at home and as I can see the horses out of every window I can kind of see there point. I don't like coloured cobs and wouldn't buy one myself and probably wouldn't want to look out at a field full of them. I also don't like greys as I hate grey hair on everything so I can understand why someone would decide against greys or coloured if they had to groom them everyday.

If you want to run a business then you can either be selective either about colour, breed or temperament and run it how you choose or you have an open door policy and take in every livery who comes irrespective of your likes and dislikes. It's easier to be fussy on a small yard but both yards I mentioned who wouldn't take coloured cobs were big commercial yards and one was a BHS exam centre. It was in the 90s and coloured cobs weren't as popular as they are now.

SuperSonik

Visit site
I call for a spy mission here! I'll clip my little 'light weight could pass for a chubby paint' mare, someone bring a welshie and a highland! We're going incognito, project 'fluff all over the blimmin' place' and 'ow! That's my foot' now in action :D

Highlands

Visit site
I call for a spy mission here! I'll clip my little 'light weight could pass for a chubby paint' mare, someone bring a welshie and a highland! We're going incognito, project 'fluff all over the blimmin' place' and 'ow! That's my foot' now in action :D

I can provide a highland!

Montyforever

Visit site
Last yard i was on had a strictly no cobs/ponies policy for years (met a previous livery on a hack once)
When i moved there with my welsh a and d, a coloured cob was already there and another welsh cob moved on after :) obviously had to be a little less picky in the end! Never faced any prejudice, in fact lots of people liked my welsh a (not the staff though ... )
Can understand it to a point though, cobs can wreck fencing although so do other horses and ponies are a marmite type situation although discrimination against breeds wont get you far if you a running it as a business!!

khalswitz

Visit site
I beg your pardon!........!!?!

I'd agree - Shetlands tend to be little escape artists, you have to put an extra bottom rung on your fencing, plus they tend to blow up like balloons at a sniff of grass... and if they're not well handled they can be little horrors. That's me having worked on a livery yard and a riding school!! So I can understand why you'd say no Shetlands, or nothing under 13.2hh say.

But no cobs? I mean, you've got your 13.2hh coloured cob, and your 16hh maxi cob, your Welsh D's, and everything in between!

DIY it would certainly be unexplainable, but maybe if full livery they are fussy about what they are handling... or just want a yard full of smart hunters, I don't know. Weird, though.

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
From a business point of view they are probably shooting themselves in the foot. I live in a very horsey and (there is no other way to put it) very affluent area, over 50% of the horses around here are cobs of one sort or another.

RunToEarth

Visit site
There seems to be a wave of fat cobs with owners who have an inability to square them up not to be bolchy little shizters so based on that alone if I ran a livery yard it would be strictly no cobs/cob type owners ;)

khalswitz

Visit site
There seems to be a wave of fat cobs with owners who have an inability to square them up not to be bolchy little shizters so based on that alone if I ran a livery yard it would be strictly no cobs/cob type owners ;)

My *yard* would be no cobs, I like a Highland but personally wouldn't have a cob. However from a business POV I wouldn't be fussy - and cobs eat less hay/grass, so especially if hay is included they are more economic liveries!!

HeresHoping

Visit site

Am hoping and praying that no one, well only a very few people, will know who I am, but after our experience of the last couple of months, I am with you. Our inundation (I think there are currently 7 from one set of people on a not very big DIY yard that was supposed to be focusing on developing a competition element) has watched a few yootoobs of Parelli and...

Well. I'll leave the rest to your imagination. Let's just say they all got cobs...youngsters, and a couple of unbacked ones included...after 10 weeks of riding lessons at a nearby stable.