Struggling to fit in exercise

sjdress

Visit site
How do people who work full time and have horse on DIY find the time for non horsey exercise?
I am currently up at 6am to ride/muck out etc, then go to work, then back at the yard afterwork getting home around 6:30/7pm. I really wanted to do the couch to 5k but can’t see a time of when I can do this? I especially don’t want to run in the evenings on my own in the dark as I am in a village with very little lighting, it just doesn’t feel safe! How does everyone else manage it?!

Ranyhyn

Visit site
A 5k is probably going to take you 30 mins. Everything up to that point will take less, so lace up, buy a head torch and hi viz clothing, upload what3 wordson your phone, tell a friend/partner your route and treat yourself with as much love and care as you do that horse of yours. I mean that in the kindest way possible, but honestly if we horsewomen took half the care of ourselves we do of our horses we'd be landed!

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I have my horse on part livery. So I only have to go once a day to ride, stuff haynets, and feed vit/min meal (which YO would do if I weren't able to).

So I workout at 5:00, walk the dog, work at 7:30, leave work at 16:30, then at the yard from 17:00 until 19:30 (more or less depending on what I'm doing).

If I had to go to the yard twice a day, that would complicate things.

Some people exercise at lunch, but I'm a sweaty smelly person with long hair ? so no easy wash up!

Tarragon

Visit site
A lot of people would consider what you do already sufficient exercise!
What about running with your horse, and get you both exercised at the same time

emilylou

Visit site
I used to run after work in the dark with a headtorch, we are very rural so I would run around the local woods with the dog. Its fine as long as you know the lay of the land, where the mud is and its clear. Once I got caught in a fog in the woods with the headtorch, was fun trying to find my way back!
However, I have just ordered a static bike for the house, a fold away one, so I am going to try that instead.
Also, pilates/yoga at home, loads of free sessions on youtube.
In the summer I fit in enough riding I dont need to do much else

Bernster

Visit site
Nope, am rubbish at looking after myself. Horses get a good diet, exercise, physio, best care and treatment etc. Me, I have the occasional bodywork treatment and then dream about all the other stuff I should do but don’t. And mine are on full livery at that! The diy will amount to a fair bit of activity for you though. Winter is tough as well, although there seem to be lots of zoom activities around which makes it a bit easier.

I wonder if you just haven’t found the thing that interests and motivates you (I haven’t) or if you could do something as a challenge, or with a friend? I think if we like it, enjoy it, etc then we’d find the time. That’s true in my case certainly. so far it’s only riding that does it for me though!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Yeah we only get 30 mins which is a pain, albeit means we can leave earlier. Depending on what I am having for lunch we do go out for a walk/in normal times do a bootcamp style thing in the car park and then eat at desks while working.

sjdress

Visit site
Yeah we only get 30 mins which is a pain, albeit means we can leave earlier. Depending on what I am having for lunch we do go out for a walk/in normal times do a bootcamp style thing in the car park and then eat at desks while working.
Think I might try and go for a walk today in my lunchbreak !

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
I think in your position I'd join an evening workout class on Zoom or just get a DVD to follow. Then you can do it in the evenings and the dark isn't an issue. There are some great cardio workouts available and you could perhaps then go for a gentle jog at the weekends when you have more time - although the Couch to 5K programme is based on 3 runs a week, you could just take your time with it and do some of the earlier runs in your weekends, then you'd have a head start and could finish the full programme in the spring when evenings are lighter perhaps. :)

Sprat

Visit site
Can you get a small set of weights and do some weight work at home in the evenings? In terms of cardio, you are probably pretty decent with having the horse on DIY, and if you can incorporate a lunchtime walk that will help.

Or as others have said, pilates at home in the evening will do the world of good, there are so many equi pilates classes you can do online now

Leandy

Visit site
Can you run once or twice at the weekend and once or twice a week fit a run into your working day? Or do whatever fitness activity you can manage in your house at home during the week, HIIT videos or similar and run at the weekend? 5k is easily achievable doing it like that.

Jango

Visit site
Its a doddle for me in summer as I just cycle to the yard, I cycled 250 miles in may with lockdown, a few long weekend rides but mostly just the 8mile round trip to the yard. I was also doing workout videos in the garden after work but before the yard, it's an app called Keep and it's free and gives you short workouts to do most days, you could try that? It's harder in winter, this week I ran on Tues, did a 30mins lunchtime HIIT session yesterday and I'll run on Friday night. I know it sounds a bit daft but is there anywhere well lit you could run after a short drive? You could do a detour on the way back from the yard? I live in the suburbs so I can just run on the pavement which is easier. Running and HIIT are the best exercise if you are time poor, but if you can find something you actually enjoy even if it's less strenuous you might do it more? Another suggestion could you buddy up with another livery for turn out/bring in a couple of days? Then you have a clear morning or evening to exercise.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
There are loads of videos on youtube, the Joe Wicks ones are good and a lot don't require any equipment or just use body weight. My OH will fill a rucksack with books or 2l bottles of water and use that as weights instead to make an exercise harder.

F&B

Visit site
How far is it from your yard to the field? I used to be on DIY on a yard with a big walk to the field - I used to run there/back after turning out/bringing in - 2 short runs a day & also saved valuable riding time.

BBP

Visit site
Kettlebells are great if you want to stay in out of the dark and have limited time and space. They get your heart rate up and build strength and mobility. There are plenty of YouTube tutorials to get you started and then workouts to follow. Even 10minutes is better than nothing.

I run with my dog now, if I can find dry enough routes that I don’t get stuck in the mud. I used to go running with the horse too.

I also have a treadmill, stationary bike, and a pole dancing pole!

TheHairyOne

Visit site
I dont mind running in the dark so I do it after I have ridden. I know the routes well and have only once stacked it over a fallen branch on ky offroad route. However, on the especially dark nights I have a 1km lap that I run around the farm, boring, but gets the job done.

Even using a long drive would be beneficial. Use it like the beep test!

fredflop

Visit site
Look up some ten minute work outs on you tube. I find them so much easier to fit in than a longer one.

if I’ve got time I can fit in 2 or 3 in an evening.

Hannahgb

Visit site
I get up at 4.30 to run with a head torch haha. Plus managed to get some weights to through lockdown can train at home. When gyms are open its a gym session at 5am before stables!

Muddywellies

Visit site
When on DIY I absolutely couldn't. It used to annoy me when people said you just have to make time!! Im fast approaching 50 and really need down time and simply can't be heading to the gym late in the evening after work and horse. Life took a rather unexpected turn and horse is now on full livery, meaning when not in lockdown, I now go to the gym. But me personally, I couldn't do work, horse AND gym.

tatty_v

Visit site
I run on my non-working day in the week, and again at the weekend, both usually with a friend from the yard, which keeps us motivated. We haven’t braved a run in the dark yet, although we keep talking about it! I ran a lot more in the summer as I could fit it in before/after riding.

popletaa

Visit site
How far away is the yard from your home, is it possible you can walk/run/cycle to the yard occasionally to get your exercise? It's easy for me as I don't drive, so have no choice but to cycle to the yard! Sure, it takes longer, but when I take into account I'm getting my exercise too I'm actually saving time. Lucky for you though that you'll have the choice to drive when the weather is bad ;)

Annagain

Visit site
Can you team up with (a) fellow livery / liveries so you turn their horses out and they get yours in to give you a bit more time in the evenings? What about getting a bike and cycling to/from work or yard if it's not too far?