• REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as HHO, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Struggling with the heat

I live in Bahrain and have owned a horse (10 yr old TB) here for 18 months. Last summer he struggled with the heat (he’s an OTTB imported from Ireland as a 2yr old) but this summer seems to be much worse already! I’ve been told reducing hard feed can help but just wondering if anyone has any other advice. We have AC but he can’t stay in his box 24/7...

Circe

HI
I'm not sure what sort of temperatures you experience? is it very humid as well?
I'm in Australia, and it can be temps in the 40s with 90% humidity as well, so pretty unpleasant.
I make wet feeds, and feed additional wet feeds during the day. I feed an electrolyte daily.
I don't rug my boy at all, if he is getting bitten by bugs, I have to way up the benefit of a fly rug against the problem of him over heating.
Do you have a turnout area you can use when it is cooler, so he is in during the day in the air con?
I know some yards here that have set up a sprinkler/ spray system for their stables.
If I'm working him, I do it in the evening, so he can cool off as the evening gets cooler.
Kx

Quigleyandme

I would also advocate a sprinkler. I don’t have one but my horses used to love being hosed with the sprinkler setting on after a long, hot day followed with a good roll. Do you have an open sided field shelter thing like polo ponies have which you could rig a sprinkler system too?

Hi Circe and Quigleyandme
a sprinkler sounds great and i will speak to our yard manager. We have small turnout paddocks where i put him when the weather cools in the evening. I ride for a short period (20-30 mins) early in the morning. His previous owner told me yesterday that my horse doesn’t sweat! I’ve looked this up and it’s a condition called Anhydrosis. I’ve never heard of this but it seems a supplement called ONE HC could possibly help him. it’s something i never noticed as he does sweat under his tack but, apparently, this is normal. Thank you for your advice. 😊