Struggling with the heat

Visit site
I live in Bahrain and have owned a horse (10 yr old TB) here for 18 months. Last summer he struggled with the heat (he’s an OTTB imported from Ireland as a 2yr old) but this summer seems to be much worse already! I’ve been told reducing hard feed can help but just wondering if anyone has any other advice. We have AC but he can’t stay in his box 24/7...

Circe

Visit site
HI
I'm not sure what sort of temperatures you experience? is it very humid as well?
I'm in Australia, and it can be temps in the 40s with 90% humidity as well, so pretty unpleasant.
I make wet feeds, and feed additional wet feeds during the day. I feed an electrolyte daily.
I don't rug my boy at all, if he is getting bitten by bugs, I have to way up the benefit of a fly rug against the problem of him over heating.
Do you have a turnout area you can use when it is cooler, so he is in during the day in the air con?
I know some yards here that have set up a sprinkler/ spray system for their stables.
If I'm working him, I do it in the evening, so he can cool off as the evening gets cooler.
Kx

Quigleyandme

Visit site
I would also advocate a sprinkler. I don’t have one but my horses used to love being hosed with the sprinkler setting on after a long, hot day followed with a good roll. Do you have an open sided field shelter thing like polo ponies have which you could rig a sprinkler system too?

Visit site
Hi Circe and Quigleyandme
a sprinkler sounds great and i will speak to our yard manager. We have small turnout paddocks where i put him when the weather cools in the evening. I ride for a short period (20-30 mins) early in the morning. His previous owner told me yesterday that my horse doesn’t sweat! I’ve looked this up and it’s a condition called Anhydrosis. I’ve never heard of this but it seems a supplement called ONE HC could possibly help him. it’s something i never noticed as he does sweat under his tack but, apparently, this is normal. Thank you for your advice. ?

Darius

New User
Visit site
Hi I to have a 9 yr old TB off the track from Ireland too, i moved from the Uk to Poland 2 years ago with my horses.
Not quite as hot as where You are but summers here are long and hot upto 35* with a huge problem with flys and horse flys.
We keep thier hard food very wet to help hydrate and their main water very clean, as last year one didnt drink enough and got constipated, expensive vet call out.
We have had to put them on a night shift as it gets too hot for them during the day, fly rugs are no good as they overheat, during the day time they spend some relief from the heat and flys in the cool barn, we have some fans blowing to help.
Summer time here not a good time for the horses, riding through the forest is unpleasent from the heat and flys, some freak out from the bombardment of flys, makes for an uncomfatable ride.

Autum, winter and spring are great

Last edited:

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
is it hot all night as well, if not could he be out all night and in during the day, that would be a good routine for him as it gives him a long time out of the stable.

Visit site
Hi I to have a 9 yr old TB off the track from Ireland too, i moved from the Uk to Poland 2 years ago with my horses.
Not quite as hot as where You are but summers here are long and hot upto 35* with a huge problem with flys and horse flys.
We keep thier hard food very wet to help hydrate and their main water very clean, as last year one didnt drink enough and got constipated, expensive vet call out.
We have had to put them on a night shift as it gets too hot for them during the day, fly rugs are no good as they overheat, during the day time they spend some relief from the heat and flys in the cool barn, we have some fans blowing to help.
Summer time here not a good time for the horses, riding through the forest is unpleasent from the heat and flys, some freak out from the bombardment of flys, makes for an uncomfatable ride.

Autum, winter and spring are great

The flies here are unbearable too. Stopped riding at this time as the heat and humidity are high now until September. Doing ground work which keeps his mind busy. He’s currently in AC 18hrs each day & turned out twice. Nightmare, roll on winter!

18hhOlls&Me

Visit site
Ride as early as possible and is his box very well ventilated as well as AC? I agree re some kind of sprinkler system and i'm assuming he has lots of shade available when he is out? What about letting him graze at dusk for a few hours if it's practical. You can also buy ice cool gels (google it I can't remember the name!!). And water. Lots and lots of water. White rugs seem like a good idea and are often sold as one but a horses coat does a better job! Good luck!! x

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Having worked in Bahrain in the summer I appreciate your problem, I found the humid heat really hard to cope with as sweat didn't evaporate.
Is there anyway to rig up a large fan in a shaded outside area as well as a sprinkler to try and evaporate water off the skin to cool?
Roll on winter for you as you said.