studs that breed/produce quality allrounders, and prices

SKW

Visit site
After 5 years of the most appalling luck, I've had enough of buying lovely horses that end up breaking down due to issues that were probably pre-existing. If my latest horse doesn't come right, which it's looking like he may not,I'm seriously considering whether to look into buying a well handled 3 or 4yo directly from the breeder and then getting professional help backing and bringing it on. I realise that youngsters can still have issues, but at least I'd know it definitely hadn't been hammered/started too young etc. I'd be looking at something around 16hh that would be competent at doing a bit of everything at RC/low level affiliated level. Conformation important (for soundness reasons) but temperament would be an absolute priority. I was wondering what sort of studs might be worth looking at for info, and what sort of prices you would be talking about for this kind of youngster. Thanks!!

be positive

Visit site
I don't think there will be many studs breeding the type you are looking for, to my mind it would be the half bred that used to be very popular but now most studs are trying to produce the high end performance horse so you are looking at the ones that don't meet the criteria but it may still have a high performance temperament which may not be suited to the average rider.

There are a few breeds that could suit the ID or CB would do the job most good breeders will run them on until at least 3 and some will back before selling, try the Indigo ID stud as they are bred for temperament and Janet has also bred a few part breds that looked very nice types, I think you would need to budget around £5k for a correct youngster from any good stud, probably more if it is backed and ridden away.
Otherwise go through the studs breeding natives and see if any have sent a mare to an outcross stallion to produce something bigger, a NF/ Connie cross tb would be ideal but don't seem to be easy to find.

SKW

Visit site
Thanks be positive. Yes these seem to be the types I go for (I currently have a TBxWelsh, an ID and probably a TBxconnie, though we don't know his breeding). As you say, what I don't want is something that is cheaper as its not good enough for a pro but has a temperament best suited to one. Having said that I have some friends who have very classy horses with a very easy temperament, so I don't think they are all necessarily quirky.

Where have other people got their nice young allrounders from?

cundlegreen

Visit site
I don't think there will be many studs breeding the type you are looking for, to my mind it would be the half bred that used to be very popular but now most studs are trying to produce the high end performance horse so you are looking at the ones that don't meet the criteria but it may still have a high performance temperament which may not be suited to the average rider.

There are a few breeds that could suit the ID or CB would do the job most good breeders will run them on until at least 3 and some will back before selling, try the Indigo ID stud as they are bred for temperament and Janet has also bred a few part breds that looked very nice types, I think you would need to budget around £5k for a correct youngster from any good stud, probably more if it is backed and ridden away.
Otherwise go through the studs breeding natives and see if any have sent a mare to an outcross stallion to produce something bigger, a NF/ Connie cross tb would be ideal but don't seem to be easy to find.

I used to breed just this thing, using my section D stallion, but with our wet land, it's easier to buy unbroken 4/5 year olds from Ireland, I'm afraid. The last one I bred, Welsh D x Kwpn, has just become the top 2 year old of this year's Futurity.

Starbucks

Visit site
I’ve had two unbroken 3 year olds from Ireland and the have both been so good / easy. I’ve had them both professionally broken but then produced them myself, well the older one not done much with the 4yo.

I totally recommend over buying an established horse I’ve found it very rewarding.

I guess it’s a bit of a how long is a piece of string question but you should get a nice 3yo for what you want to do between 2 and 4k I would imagine.

I just join all the FB groups. Lots of youngsters for sale.

chaps89

Visit site
There used to be a poster on here a long time ago based in Devon I believe called Henry Horn who bred these types. You could have a Google and see if she's still about.

Wheels

Visit site
ISH breeders over here in Ireland will breed just what you are looking for.

I tried one last year who would have suited you. The breeder breeds so many foals per year, generally keeps until 4 then backs, rides away and takes out a couple of times before selling on.

Lovely horses, lovely people who know their horses well

Farma

Visit site
My horse was bred at a stud called Bellhouse in Essex, they don't seem to advertise but breed and produce eventers, dressage horses and generally very capable all rounders. Lots of people locally have horses from them and they are all super successful and mine although she has competed to a high level is still a lovely family pet and happy hacker so I cant recommend them enough.

DirectorFury

Visit site

BP has, as usual, hit the nail on the head here :).
Lowlands Stud breed some lovely IDs with great temperaments. If you don't mind another Welshx you could approach Maesmynach stud and see if they have any crosses for sale.

Asha

Visit site
I bought mine from Janet George. She is everything you are looking for. Easy, uncomplicated and can turn her hoof to anything. I got her when she had just been backed, and was 2 weeks off the lunge. A bit brave for me , but I do have people around that help. I haven't needed a great deal of help to be honest. Shes just got the best attitude. In your shoes id give her a call.

JulesRules

Visit site
You could have a look at Lynwood Stud. I think the type they have sounds like what you are looking for.
I think their youngsters start from about £4k to about £6k or £7k for something with basic training that has been out locally. Not the cheapest, but at the end of the day it costs a fair bit to breed and produce these horses.

QuantockHills

Visit site
SKW I was also going to suggest Janet at Indigo.... I was in a similar position to you and didn't want something that had already been there and done too much and was possible broken... I bought a 3 year old unbacked pure ID from Janet and havent regretted it. We've taken it very slow as he's obviously still growing but I know she has some backed currently for sale. Would definetly be worth a trip for you.