Studs

Michen

Visit site
Just wanted to get some opinions re studs. I have in the past used studs behind, just one on the outside of each hoof, on a surefooted horse.

B is next being shod mid March which will take him up to end of April and include hunter trials, a ODE and Cricklands SJ champs which I believe is all on grass.

He's not the most sure footed of horses so I'm wondering whether to stud him all round? Seems a bit extreme given we will be jumping 85cm max? What's the general thoughts on studs- I haven't used them enough to have much of an opinion!! Its the SJ/DR on grass that I'm most concerned about.

I know he will never have had studs in before.

be positive

Visit site
I would get holes put in all shoes, if you need them they are there, I agree it is the dr/ sj on grass that is of more concern than the xc phase, whether you stud all round or just behind can be decided up on the day depending on the ground, if they have never been studded before I do tend to keep things simple, just one behind, until I know they really require more help, otherwise it can be hard to tell how they are coping and you end up always using them just in case.
I sometimes put in fronts to dr/ sj if the ground is slippy then take them out before xc as I think they can be too restrictive.

nato

Visit site
If you're going to put Stud holes behind you might as well do them in front.

My mare is very sure footed and our first ODE we had a huge rainfall after a long dry spell, meaning the surface was slippy. She slipped in the DR and held herself tense for the remainder of the test, judges comments were had we put studs in she would have felt more secure.

I stud all round and do 85/90cm, just make sure you use the right studs based on the going. There's a good article on H&H on it.

Would rather be safe than sorry personally, and don't want to give my horse (who is a confident brave jumper) any reason to lose her confidence.

VRIN

Visit site
I don't think there is a right way in terms of the number of studs - there seems to be a lot of different opinions..

It also can depend on the horse as some back off if they feel over studded..

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I don't think there is a right way in terms of the number of studs - there seems to be a lot of different opinions..

^^this.
I would get the holes put in and then you have them if you want them. I used to put little tiny spikes in Millie's fronts whenever we did any jumping on grass, unless it was bottomless mud they gave just enough grip without making me worry about overdoing it :)

I used these https://www.supastuds.com/details_7.html if i was jumping, good shape and adequate on a small horse in front.

Pie's mum

Visit site
You're going to Cricklands?! So are we if all goes to plan! Must say hello! They run the heats on the all weather up there. Depending on the weather they run some of the warm up classes on grass (although the first year I went it was awfully wet and they did most of the warmups on the all weather too).
I stud all round one in each show because Pie is a very slippy horse on grass. One in each shoe seems to suit him best. I would have the holes put in that way they are there in case you need them. Better to have them and not need them than wish you did!

Edited to add which class are you doing in wales? I'm doing over 35 2ft6

Michen

Visit site
Indeed!!! I think that's exactly what I'll do. I had heard most of it was on grass hence the concern.

We qualified at 70 so can only do the 75 (apparently) which is a little annoying but hey ho! Under 35s for me :) you can't miss Basil and his big head!

You're going to Cricklands?! So are we if all goes to plan! Must say hello! They run the heats on the all weather up there. Depending on the weather they run some of the warm up classes on grass (although the first year I went it was awfully wet and they did most of the warmups on the all weather too).
I stud all round one in each show because Pie is a very slippy horse on grass. One in each shoe seems to suit him best. I would have the holes put in that way they are there in case you need them. Better to have them and not need them than wish you did!

Edited to add which class are you doing in wales? I'm doing over 35 2ft6

Moon Dancer

Visit site
I was told by a well known instructor that no matter what height why would you not stud, the horse needs to have confidence in the ground and their feet to be able to take off, one slight slip can make them lose that confidence. Why would you want to risk that.

Michen

Visit site
Because not all horses like having studs in, because some horses are great at stepping on themselves with said stud (on the inside) and causing injuries to themselves. I'm sure plenty of people who don't stud would have other reasons!

I was told by a well known instructor that no matter what height why would you not stud, the horse needs to have confidence in the ground and their feet to be able to take off, one slight slip can make them lose that confidence. Why would you want to risk that.

TGM

Visit site
This is an interesting article comprising a discussion between a top vet, farrier and trainer on the use of studs. The general consensus is that over-studding can cause a lot of problems because the foot needs to move and slip a little as the horse lands. So use the minimum in studs that you can.

http://e-venting.co.uk/2016/02/international-eventing-forum-the-use-and-effect-of-studs/

We have two horses competing on grass over 1.10 XC and SJ courses and the maximum they have is one stud on the outside of each hind.

siennamum

Visit site
It slightly depends on the horse, I generally only ever put one stud on the outside of a hind shoe. I think unless you are competing at novice or above you barely need to stud, the horse needs to learn to run on all going & riders need to learn to balance.(you don't stud to go hunting!)

I would stud for SJ on grass if we were jumping off, & will stud my sons gelding who just seems to slip a lot, but one small stud behind only.

I put studs in the front of my mare for an area trials years ago as it was so hard & a big event, she damaged an extensor tendon & was off for 8 months, never again.

AandK

Visit site
This is an interesting article comprising a discussion between a top vet, farrier and trainer on the use of studs. The general consensus is that over-studding can cause a lot of problems because the foot needs to move and slip a little as the horse lands. So use the minimum in studs that you can.

http://e-venting.co.uk/2016/02/international-eventing-forum-the-use-and-effect-of-studs/

We have two horses competing on grass over 1.10 XC and SJ courses and the maximum they have is one stud on the outside of each hind.

I was going to post the link to that article, it makes very interesting reading.

Double_choc_lab

Visit site

I was hoping someone would have put a link to this - very interesting reading. We only use one on the outside edge of each hind shoe but we're not exactly competing 4*. I wonder how much the desire to win will cause some to ignore this report. Also interesting point about all weather surfaces.

Horsemad12

Visit site
The article is good and having seen the footage mentioned it certainly makes you think about using two studs, but there needs to be much more research done on this.

I currently only use one stud in each foot as horse was weak and narrow and I was worried about damage from a stud on the inside. Previous horse needed to feel secure and went much better with two studs in each shoe.

My farrier says he sees as many injuries from one stud as two studs, just that they are different injuries,

Horses for courses!!!

paddi22

Visit site
There was an interesting article on facebook arguing against the use of excess studding unless its essential, and then it recommended only on the outside of show. Basic idea of article was that studs can cause horses to catch and twist their legs unnaturally and could be the cause in the rise of tendon and suspensory injuries nowadays. It argued that the horses feet should naturally rotate and even slip slightly so they can maneovre properly. I'l try and find it again and link to it.

edit: found it

edit again: so did everyone else!

Last edited:

Mooseontheloose

Visit site
Saw a horse stop, slip and catch it's huge front studs in a solid filler which snapped its pastern.
Watching a video on H and H website was interested that Household cavalry farriers don't put road nails in in spite of all the road work they do as it can damage integrity of hoof wall.