Studs?

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Skylla is now shod o_O and actually I needn't have worried she was rock solid for it :cool:.

However, I now need to sort out some studs! My old stud kit from Topaz is a little bit worn and rusty :p so some shiny new ones are on the cards. Any recommendations?

I've been looking at the supastuds which sound great if a little pricey, so before I splash even more cash (*weeps into what was once her savings*) any reviews on them?

Skylla looking swish in her new fancy shoes, feels like she's graduated to being a proper grown up horse now!
118678206_1397898477062675_7021351142698907742_n.jpg

... and how she now goes to the field as she did manage to remove an overreach in her stable, the farrier is having palpitations
1f602.png
118627136_1397898547062668_6213235112690105501_n.jpg

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I always used supastuds, way better than bog standard ones IMO. I sold all mine when I stopped eventing and had to re -buy some to do Millie's old lady showing when it was on grass arenas!

I liked the Mini sharp stud in front if the ground was not soupy, small enough to allow a bit of slip but big enough to give good security. and I used to use the small dressage behind.

in wet ground I had the small and medium conicals. I didn't use anything bigger on my diminutive steeds, I groomed for some big IDs and they had some of the giant studs but those were plenty for mine.

milliepops

Visit site
oh, the travel studs are great time savers if you want to clean the holes out the night before, then just swap for your studs when you unload. Saves stressing out with a tiny rock stuck when your dressage is in 20 mins, haha

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Fab, think I'll purchase some and go from there! Tuffy is going to give me a stud master class too :p.

Travel studs sound like a super idea lol, I remember the sweating and swearing with Topaz, especially as she was apt to be launching around with no feet on the floor at the time too :oops:...

milliepops

Visit site
yeah i preferred to get the faffing out of the way while no one was stressing the night before ;) I wouldn't leave them in any longer, I think they'd get too battered, but popped in and then turned out overnight or in the stable, then box off and quickly swap for proper ones worked well for me :)

TWMD

Visit site
Supastuds are brilliant, well worth the extra cost. Also make sure you get a good sharp thread cleaning tap (I have the Liveryman one), it makes the job so much easier!

I do the same as milliepops, plug the holes with cotton wool covered in vaseline/wd40 between events, then night before clean holes out, clean the thread with the tap cleaning thing and put the travel studs in. Then at the event it literally takes me 5 mins to swap my studs over :)

Bernster

Visit site
Yep, supastuds and leave travel studs overnight (in stable), so much easier to sort out at the comp. takes me forever to clean them and kills my back!

Liveryman tapper is great to use.

Never found a really good method to keep the holes clear of stones though. Used lots of different types, the plastic ones are rubbish ime and hard to get out. The cloth ones are easy to use but don’t keep em totally clear.

ScampiBigMan

Visit site
Yep SupaStuds and travel studs here for many years & always tap the holes before put the travel studs in to make sure have a good thread the next day. Is just the first few turns that get worn on the thread in between studding.

Also, after trying many different ways to keep holes clean in between outings - have been using these for several years now and are by far the best thing have used. They can often be re-used as well and either remove with a horshoe nail (large - heavy horse one - farrier gives me them) or long nosed pliers - very easily. Do occasionally get small stones in but can remove with a small /large horseshoe nail quite easily (& these always get in whatever else you put in the hole). I put them in as soon as shod and have in whenever don't have travel or other studs in. Ours live out 24/7/365.

Easy Stud Plugz

I use a range of different studs dependent on the conditions. Smaller at front than back, only use one on outside of each foot. Generally, the heavier the going the rounder the stud. Find what you like and works.

Also I bought a hoof stand as my back did not like holding feet up for a long time. Horses prefer putting their foot in this rather than me holding too as think is more stable.

All of this makes it not too big a deal any more(!)

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Thanks all, I've put an order in! Got some travel ones, small sharp, medium and small conical plus dressage ones to start with.

Hmm I seem to remember having little rubber wotsits for plugging them, are they any good?

Cross posted with SBM, going to order them too!

Thanks all :cool:.

humblepie

Visit site
Just to say don’t spend a fortune on a special magnetic stud dish as used x y and z. Get a mechanic’s one from a car parts place or somewhere like screwfix if you want one. OH always says how much? if looking at them on a trade stand and then wonders off muttering to himself ....

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Just to say don’t spend a fortune on a special magnetic stud dish as used x y and z. Get a mechanic’s one from a car parts place or somewhere like screwfix if you want one. OH always says how much? if looking at them on a trade stand and then wonders off muttering to himself ....

Good shout! Anything equestrian always seems to add £££'s doesn't it...

doodle

Visit site
Another vote for travel studs. Clean out holes and put them in night before/before you leave. Then so much easier when you get to competition.

sanjo

Visit site
Skylla is now shod o_O and actually I needn't have worried she was rock solid for it :cool:.

However, I now need to sort out some studs! My old stud kit from Topaz is a little bit worn and rusty :p so some shiny new ones are on the cards. Any recommendations?

I've been looking at the supastuds which sound great if a little pricey, so before I splash even more cash (*weeps into what was once her savings*) any reviews on them?

Skylla looking swish in her new fancy shoes, feels like she's graduated to being a proper grown up horse now!
118678206_1397898477062675_7021351142698907742_n.jpg

... and how she now goes to the field as she did manage to remove an overreach in her stable, the farrier is having palpitations
1f602.png
118627136_1397898547062668_6213235112690105501_n.jpg
Supastuds are def the best I my opinion. Make sure you fill the empty holes with the plastic jelly studs, and a magnetic tray for putting them. Both are good time savers! Beaut pony x

CavaloBranco

Visit site
I never plugged stud holes between events. Yes they got some grit in but a gavel?? (Sp) cleared them out the night before then travel studs overnight. Finally supastuds at the competition...phew! Makes for a quick changeover when your horse is excited and prancing about!

CavaloBranco

Visit site
Oh yes..sometimes I managed to burr the thread before the studs went in so they were difficult to screw in. My other tip is to use an adjustable spanner, more leverage than the kit that comes in a stud set.

milliepops

Visit site
supa studs used to make a spanner which was nice to use. just had a look for it and they're just selling an adjustable one now.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I never plug studs - just always make sure I clean them out after bathing as much easier and if you have a really tricky piece of grit in one I will trot the horse up on concrete.

I use these:
https://www.supastuds.com/Dome_Stud--product--3.html
https://www.supastuds.com/Small_Dressage_Stud--product--11.html

Don't tend to need to use anything else. Though the Jimmy Wofford article fascinated me about inside and outside studs in the hind so I might look into that with regards to torsion.
https://practicalhorsemanmag.com/training/jim-wofford-the-eventing-faqs-of-the-matter

Kit wise I have a adjustable spanner, a bradawl, a horse nail and a decent tap. Thats all I tend to need.