Suitable dogs for older people

poiuytrewq

Visit site
You apply for him too! I’m not sure they will approve me - he is gorgeous ❤️
I'd love him but i really do have my dog quota and this isn't a quiet household really. We also have a chi X called Basil who does that exact same thing in the video!
I always think it would be nice to give an older dog a home and fuss, but they would have to put up with a Bertie trying to play and be its best friend.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I think I'd be looking at Many Years or similar for an ex puppy farm dog that needs a fabulous home, although they are pretty insistent on there already being a dog in the home, which I think is fair enough. Is it awful to apply yourself in her stead if a rescue might be awkward re her age? I would hope that I wasn't turned down in her circumstances.

I must get the Dogs Trust care card thing for ours, although our will beneficiaries can have first refusal.

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
He will run, just not this soon - they can take up to 6 months to decompress from being in kennels, all of mine started off as not being enthusiastic but they all got their love of running back ❤️
Not all will enjoy running. I had one who was totally lazy, he never saw the point in going faster than a walk, even with another greyhound doing zoomies in the field, he would walk round the boundary and then stand at the gate waiting to go home.

Not long ago the branch of the greyhound trust that I do meet and greats for, rehomed a dog to an elderly gentleman with cancer. He did have family who were prepared to look after the dog on the days that he couldn't and the daughter also is willing to take on the dog once her father dies. He needed a dog as a reason to get out of bed in a morning, he had lost his previous dog and felt that life was not worth living without one. The dog is seen regularly as they come on the monthy greyhound walks with it, the daughter does the walk and her father sits and chats to the tea ladies.

SkylarkAscending

Visit site
Not all will enjoy running. I had one who was totally lazy, he never saw the point in going faster than a walk, even with another greyhound doing zoomies in the field, he would walk round the boundary and then stand at the gate waiting to go home.

Not long ago the branch of the greyhound trust that I do meet and greats for, rehomed a dog to an elderly gentleman with cancer. He did have family who were prepared to look after the dog on the days that he couldn't and the daughter also is willing to take on the dog once her father dies. He needed a dog as a reason to get out of bed in a morning, he had lost his previous dog and felt that life was not worth living without one. The dog is seen regularly as they come on the monthy greyhound walks with it, the daughter does the walk and her father sits and chats to the tea ladies.

On post 25 I do say that greyhounds are perfect in this situation - just because I said they learn to run as they decompress doesn’t change that view 😊 One of mine was the laziest ever - he complained if he had to walk more than a mile! But he would still have occasional zoomies if he got the chance - on his terms only ❤️

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I'm afraid I really did not like the only JRT I have known. Nipped, yapped and bullied Daisy! Even when staying with us in Daisy's home. That dog thought it ruled the world!! But my mum of couse may feel differentlt. She is leaning towards mini poodles.
My late aunt and uncle used to breed Scotties but took on a toy(?) poodle when a neighbour died. Then the took a series of ex-breeding bitches from the breeder of the first poodle. They were all very bright, trainable dogs, who seemed to suit life with an elderly couple and various cats.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I haven’t heard anything ☹️ I’m guessing that means they aren’t considering me ☹️
Don’t take it personally! Considering I’m so close I’ve never known anyone manage to rehome from them (dogs only!)
It’s very odd.

I thought poodles were pretty high energy working dogs that needed a lot of stimulation. Is that not right?

I'm Dun

Visit site
Well I would say a whippet. Yes they like a run but ours are happy with a run at the yard in the morning but only if they are allowed to sleep for the rest of the day. They are really sofa dogs. They are easy to have around, don't require hours of grooming and seem fairly robust healthwise. We like to have more than one but most folk don't have multiples. I've had them for almost 25 years. Brilliant little dogs. I would say though, don't go for a working line (we have one now) they are much more demanding of exercise and activity. The show lines seem more at ease with life in general. Don't go for an Italian greyhound. Lovely little souls but very hard to housetrain in our experience.

My working ones have been a 50/50 split of hard work and super easy, but I'd probably also go for a show line. They are the best companions. My two are my absolute best friends and my only family. I'd be lost without them. They love people and just want to be with them. They will also run for 20mins and sleep for 20hours, or go out for 5 hours in the fells if that's what you prefer. Yesterday mine walked for an hour off lead on the towpath meeting people/dogs/bikes all sorts in a narrow confined space and politely moved over when I yelled over then carried on. We then went to a cafe and I ate cake and they shared a pupaccino. They were very sweet and friendly with a group of ladies who coo'ed over them, and then they tucked themselves by me out of the way and waited for me to finish. We then walked through Oxford city, hordes of people all crammed in, cars, high speed bikes, all sorts. And again, they tucked in by me and we weaved our way round to the other end of the canal, and then walked the hour home off lead. It was lovely and they are a pleasure to take anywhere.

Today its windy and raining. They have run like lunatics for about 20mins, come home via the shop and gotten back into bed. They only got up at 11! I'm sitting on the bed with one to the side of me and the other laid against me with his paw resting on me and his head on the other one. They just like to be with people and are never happier than being cuddled up with each other and me. They are just happy little dogs with tons of personality.

432565380_382604541375640_1382945033938013324_n.jpg

426359496_363327909969970_4932760434945633859_n.jpg

I'm Dun

Visit site
Another vote for a show line whippet here, particularly if she can get a slightly older one and miss out the puppy stage. Ours doesn't need much exercise and although she likes a short run off lead she doesn't climb the walls if she doesn't get one for a while. She is extremely clean and avoids mud and puddles like the plague. If she does get a bit dirty most of it slides off her short glossy coat before we get home and the rest she licks off herself! Very affectionate and loves a cuddle on the sofa. Overall, she is definitely the easiest dog I have ever owned!

I forgot the mud thing! Mine were filthy as we left the field today. Mud up there legs, clumps and splashes of filth all over them. By the time we got home 10mins later it had dried and dropped off. Its the weirdest thing. I think they have such short silky hair that once its dry mud just slides off them.

SpottyTB

Visit site
I know you specify a small breed but my gran (81) has just rehomed an ex racing greyhound (I took her there to see a bloomin terrier and she leaves with a greyhound🤣)!! Anyway, I had my doubts but actually Bella is the most beautiful dog, such a wonderful nature, quiet and gentle with my gran and actually mostly likes to sleep (she also curls up teeny tiny so doesn’t take up much space)! She’s adapted incredibly well coming from racing kennels to rehoming kennels then to my grans house! Short coat so doesn’t pick up the dirt either… a towel under the belly cleans her up easy enough!

Just thought it was worth mentioning!

Esmae

Visit site
My working ones have been a 50/50 split of hard work and super easy, but I'd probably also go for a show line. They are the best companions. My two are my absolute best friends and my only family. I'd be lost without them. They love people and just want to be with them. They will also run for 20mins and sleep for 20hours, or go out for 5 hours in the fells if that's what you prefer. Yesterday mine walked for an hour off lead on the towpath meeting people/dogs/bikes all sorts in a narrow confined space and politely moved over when I yelled over then carried on. We then went to a cafe and I ate cake and they shared a pupaccino. They were very sweet and friendly with a group of ladies who coo'ed over them, and then they tucked themselves by me out of the way and waited for me to finish. We then walked through Oxford city, hordes of people all crammed in, cars, high speed bikes, all sorts. And again, they tucked in by me and we weaved our way round to the other end of the canal, and then walked the hour home off lead. It was lovely and they are a pleasure to take anywhere.

Today its windy and raining. They have run like lunatics for about 20mins, come home via the shop and gotten back into bed. They only got up at 11! I'm sitting on the bed with one to the side of me and the other laid against me with his paw resting on me and his head on the other one. They just like to be with people and are never happier than being cuddled up with each other and me. They are just happy little dogs with tons of personality.

432565380_382604541375640_1382945033938013324_n.jpg

426359496_363327909969970_4932760434945633859_n.jpg
They are beautiful. Lovely soft eyes. I'd not had a working line before this one. He is a super dog but very definitely has a mind of his own and a wanderlust that I've never had with any of the others previously. If I could work out how to do pics I would post one up. (computer always says no) He has excellent recall, unless something has distracted him, and then he just cocks a deaf'n. Doesn't happen often, just enough to be intensely irritating. I'm hoping he improves as time goes on. The other 2 are always beside me fairly closely and come as soon as I whistle.

I'm Dun

Visit site
My spotty one is a nutter! Hes supposed to be a tiny little dainty thing like all his family but he's some sort of weird throw back. 20kgs, 23TTs and a murderous beast! Hes nearly 2 now and is getting easier but he's been a handful. My other boy is an angel, just so easy. The previous one was probably between the two. Cooper is an aberration in all ways though, huge, spotty, incredibly trainable and obedient, he's just been an exceptionally difficult teenager. Hes more working lurcher than whippet though and that's been the main issue.

I usually pick them on the basis of working bred but parents are failed workers. Floyd, my older boy cant be bothered with hunting. He likes to watch squirrels and think about how good they would taste, but he'd never dream of charging off hunting things. His mum was a racer and his dad was a failed working dog. I'll look for that combo again as its the best of both worlds, bold, trainable but not murderous.

Esmae

Visit site
My spotty one is a nutter! Hes supposed to be a tiny little dainty thing like all his family but he's some sort of weird throw back. 20kgs, 23TTs and a murderous beast! Hes nearly 2 now and is getting easier but he's been a handful. My other boy is an angel, just so easy. The previous one was probably between the two. Cooper is an aberration in all ways though, huge, spotty, incredibly trainable and obedient, he's just been an exceptionally difficult teenager. Hes more working lurcher than whippet though and that's been the main issue.

I usually pick them on the basis of working bred but parents are failed workers. Floyd, my older boy cant be bothered with hunting. He likes to watch squirrels and think about how good they would taste, but he'd never dream of charging off hunting things. His mum was a racer and his dad was a failed working dog. I'll look for that combo again as its the best of both worlds, bold, trainable but not murderous.
Our working chap is 24 tts and 20kgs. The rest of the litter, small and dainty. He is all whippet but he is huge. How weird that yours is similar.