Sun cream for the horse

Mosh

Visit site
Wondering if any of you lot can help. My mare has a pink nose and she burns terribly in the sun.
I've tried a nose net twice but she removed it and kindly shredded it twice!
I normally use human sun cream but she has now decided to wipe it off on trees/the floor/me so just wondering are the ones specifically designed for horses better? Do they stay put? Or am I better off just sticking with the nivea one for people.
Thank you!

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Wondering if any of you lot can help. My mare has a pink nose and she burns terribly in the sun.
I've tried a nose net twice but she removed it and kindly shredded it twice!
I normally use human sun cream but she has now decided to wipe it off on trees/the floor/me so just wondering are the ones specifically designed for horses better? Do they stay put? Or am I better off just sticking with the nivea one for people.
Thank you!

Filtabac - total sunblock and will last for a couple of days if you slather it on. I have 3 pink noses out of my 4 and it really is amazing stuff. x

filta_bac.gif

Mosh

Visit site
I'll order some when I finish work I think. Looks really good and the less I have to put on the happier she'll be! 😁😁

Rosiejazzandpia

Visit site
Gold label sunguard is the only thing that I've found works for my pink nosed mare. She doesn't manage to rub it off and it lasts 24 hours. No burns or sores so far :)

Mrs B

Visit site
Another vote for Filtabac! Pink nosed, pink lipped pony who burns very easily, even with a full face-mask on ...

Steerpike

Visit site
Filtabac is the only one that lasts, I do wear gloves to put it on otherwise I find I'm still wearing it a couple of days later even after washing!

HBB

Visit site
I've tried many over the years and Filtabac is the only one that will give good coverage and lasts for more than 24hrs.

Mosh

Visit site
Her nose has burnt today whilst I've been at work so I've ordered filtabac since it looks like it'll be quite soothing on her already burnt nose. If that isn't successful I'll try the other one mentioned as well.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Can I just ask which nose net you tried? I get mine from germany and they have been fab (photosensitive horse).

Mosh

Visit site
Untill it arrives I'll chuck some sudacreme on her nose. She doesn't seem overly bothered mind.

Ester, I tried and equilibrium and I think lemieux. It surprised me as she is not a trasher of anything normally but she didn't like the nose net!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
be careful with the sudocreme if it stays hot as it has a high oil content, lots of people seem to be able to use it fine but I have seen it make things worst!

Damn ponies! F doesn't seen to min his, I use an innohorse one on a velcro head collar.

Mosh

Visit site
Good point. I'll have a look tomorrow and see how it is. I've got something somewhere that might help I'm sure.

She is normally so good, she doesn't trash rugs or fences but those nose nets she hated! God knows why. She's welsh so doesn't have to be a reason I suppose! I'll have a look at those ones you've mentioned. Thank you x

jojo5

Visit site
Looks like Filtabac is the cream of choice, but another option is Ozvet, originally developed in Australia, which has worked really well for my boy.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
be careful with the sudocreme if it stays hot as it has a high oil content, lots of people seem to be able to use it fine but I have seen it make things worst!

Damn ponies! F doesn't seen to min his, I use an innohorse one on a velcro head collar.

As does cow salve as I know to my great cost and great distress to the horse.

buzyizzy

Visit site
I use Tesco own brand factor 50. He doesn't enjoy my putting it on, but I slather it on and it stays put. The only time he objects is when naughty ma has let him burn so he's sore. If you rub it in really well until it isn't really visible, it stays even when he drinks, and he practically snorkels in the water trough.
I can't believe the prices of some of these products just because they say they are for horses! Price triples and it's basically the same stuff. Same with mud fever cream, honestly how daft do they think we are, all these equestrian manufacturers?

jojo5

Visit site
Further to my earlier post, it looks as if the Ozvet Sun-off is no longer available. Prob similar stuff to the Filtabac. I have used ordinary suncream in the past too, but my boy is keen to get it off ASAP ( not good for his rufty- tufty image) and the Ozvet stayed on the longest.

Mosh

Visit site
Thank you all! Normally I use normal human sun cream and have done for years but this time she isn't having any of it and either doesn't let me run it in long enough or instantly wipes it off. Bloody welsh pony!

I try to use human substitutes when I can like shampoo etc but sometimes horsey products may work better. I'm a mug I know!
Shame about the ozvet stuff as it sounded interesting.

HBB

Visit site
Thank you all! Normally I use normal human sun cream and have done for years but this time she isn't having any of it and either doesn't let me run it in long enough or instantly wipes it off. Bloody welsh pony!

I try to use human substitutes when I can like shampoo etc but sometimes horsey products may work better. I'm a mug I know!
Shame about the ozvet stuff as it sounded interesting.

No definitely not a mug, Filtabac only needs to be applied once a day, human sun creams need to be reapplied every 2-3 hours to be efficient.

Mosh

Visit site
No definitely not a mug, Filtabac only needs to be applied once a day, human sun creams need to be reapplied every 2-3 hours to be efficient.

That makes me feel better! I've tried my hardest but unfortunately I and most other people have to go to work to pay for said horses and their sun cream x

HashRouge

Visit site
Good point. I'll have a look tomorrow and see how it is. I've got something somewhere that might help I'm sure.

She is normally so good, she doesn't trash rugs or fences but those nose nets she hated! God knows why. She's welsh so doesn't have to be a reason I suppose! I'll have a look at those ones you've mentioned. Thank you x
Mine hates nose nets - I think they can irritate some horses!

Filtabac sounds fabulous, I'm going to order some for my mare.

Cornish

Visit site
A very timely thread - thank you. Have also ordered a big tub of Filtabac for my very pink muzzled grey, she also has pink 'spectacles' round her eyes and pink lips. It's a constant battle to keep fly masks on and/or intact - the nose net on the brand new one I put on Friday morning lasted til Sat morning before it was shredded.....

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
OP, thanks for posting this thread, I've been using Filtabac for several days now, and it's great stuff :). My pink nosed bay mare especially is now much less fussy and itchy about her muzzle area. It does get everywhere though, even when applied with gloves, or maybe that's just me.