Surprise arrival

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
We went down to the field to check our cows a few days ago and found this fellow happily running about!

We bought a couple of old Dexter cows with young calves at foot last year (mostly to keep the grass short for my fat cob). There was a delay in the delivery and it was obviously long enough for the bull to do the deed for the one who'd calved first. She was pretty underweight when we got her (the farmer was selling them as "they won't manage another winter on the mountain") so we didn't think anything of her increasing girth.

Her last years calf is still with her, but his mum has weaned him no problems and the only issue we have had with him is a bit of over-protectiveness when we went to ear tag his little brother. Both he and his half brother seem quite enamoured with the new addition and often babysit when the mother is grazing.

Fingers crossed our future calvings go as smoothly!

DSCF6064 - Smaller.JPG

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
He’s gorgeous ?.

We were eagerly awaiting some Highland x calves on the farm where I keep my horses. It was a bit of a hobby of the late owner and they kept a few for posterity. They were AI’d last year. Day by day we waited and they were way past the expected due date and now we’ve been told none are in calf so I don’t know what happened. 6 were AI’d apparently one didn’t take so that went to Devon but it turns out none are in calf now. Very disappointing.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Oooh, you have red Dexters; I am so jealous! They are practically non-existent here, I had to search for ages to find my Dexter heifer (black one). Lovely to see them, and congrats on your surprise.

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
Oooh, you have red Dexters; I am so jealous! They are practically non-existent here, I had to search for ages to find my Dexter heifer (black one). Lovely to see them, and congrats on your surprise.

Thanks!

You don't see many Dexters around here but there are a fair number of them up in the Ballina area (so not too far away). We didn't have much luck finding a red cow either though. Had to make do with one with a red calf, and one with a dun calf who has had red calves before. Unfortunately both were male calves, fingers crossed for a red female calf (or two!) next year.