survival chances ? please help :(

angelish

Visit site
hi all

*vet is on way*

a friends mare has foaled 6-7 weeks early and the mare seems to have prolapsed badly ,there is a lot of blood and "inards" ,she is in a great deal of distress :(
i know only a miracle will save the mare and she will be pts as soon as vet arrives :(

but what about the foal ? is there any chance of saving a 6 weeks prem foal thats loosing his mother :( and any advice you can give that i can pass on would be greatly appreciated

sallyf

Visit site
Depends whether it is a rectal prolapse or a uterine prolapse.
Rectal prolapse is unlikely to survive as even if she responds initially the gut usually dies a few days later and then she would need to be pts.
Uterine prolapse have good recovery rates.
Foal unlikely to survive that early as its lungs will be under developed but occasionally miracles do happen

angelish

Visit site
Depends whether it is a rectal prolapse or a uterine prolapse.
Rectal prolapse is unlikely to survive as even if she responds initially the gut usually dies a few days later and then she would need to be pts.
Uterine prolapse have good recovery rates.
Foal unlikely to survive that early as its lungs will be under developed but occasionally miracles do happen

thank you i will ring them with info sure the vet will advice but there taking so long getting to them :(

vets just arrived there going to call back

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Fingers crossed.

I saw a rectal prolapse at the hunt kennels the other week. Not a pleasant sight. If it's uterine then there's a much better chance. As for the foal, really depends on how it is at the moment.

Horrible situation:(

angelish

Visit site
hi vets just left

it was a uterine prolapse and the vet has managed to replace it , pumped her full of ab's and pain killers ,helped the foal (who is suprisingly bouncy) get the first milk and is coming back tomorrow

so holding breath and keeping fingers crossed she makes it ,but she is on her feet for now

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
Better news than you hoped. If the mare will allow you to milk her I would be topping up the foal with a bottle and freezing some colostrum too, it will all help if you end up with an orphan foal. Fingers' crossed all stays ok, glad to read this I was dreading bad news.

angelish

Visit site
thank you all for the advice and luck :)

she still looks ok (only a few hours i know) i gave them the natoinal foaling bank no and they also advised them to milk the mare so there doing all they can

it really didn't look good i thought the mare would be dead before the vet arrived as she was in such a state ,making a horrible noise and wouldn't even lift her head up off the floor but she's tougher than she looks

ill keep updating ,fingers tightly crossed for them both

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Oh I'm so glad to hear there is a bit of positivity. FIngers crossed for all of them, it will be such a stressful time for your friends.:(

Monkers

Visit site
How awful, fingers crossed they pull through, I echo milking the mare and freezing what you can, just in case the worst happens. Sounds like you have a great vet there!

Clodagh

Visit site
Fingers crossed for them both.
A friend of mine (human) had a uterine prolapse after giving birth and apparently the pain was the worst thing she had ever felt, and that was after an epidural! So no wonder the mare looked so bad. I do hope they both make a full recovery.

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
Fingers well & truly crossed!

Do you know how many days in foal the mare was? From past threads I think people have had/know of foals who have survived at 300 or so days, minis even earlier.

Massive hugs to your friend xx

angelish

Visit site
hi ellesky

they said about 6 weeks early but i don't know exact dates i will ask them next time they ring ,the foal is doing quite well ,he is small but is up on his feet flying about and suckling well

he looks like a normal healthy foal just little ,although admitedly i have little experience with breeding he does look ok :)

cruiseline

www.ipcmedia.com
Goodness, fingers crossed that both of them come out of this well. As others have said, make sure the foal is feeding regularly it might mean getting the mare up if she decides to get down for a rest.

Good luck

angelish

Visit site
Goodness, fingers crossed that both of them come out of this well. As others have said, make sure the foal is feeding regularly it might mean getting the mare up if she decides to get down for a rest.

Good luck

thank you i will pass on all advice they are staying with her through the night so they be watching them right round the clock

Good luck and all fingers are crossed!!!!!
My foals always get Foal Stim on the first day....maybe the vet can bring it too

thanks ill tell them to mention it when they ring vet in morning

If he is up & sucking then that is very very promising, most early foals aren't able to stand alone & have silky fine coats. Can foal get up & down unaided & find milkybar?

yes he needed a little help at first when the mare was eventually able to stand as he was a little wobbly ,but he's managing surprisingly well on his own now although tried to get milk from the wrong end a few times ,he's had a nap and is back up sucking now

mare seems to be recovering a little ,she's stopped swishing her tail so much and is looking more confortable letting little one suckle

thank you all very much for the good luck and advice it was full scale panic before and i know there both far from out the woods yet, we really thought the mare had no chance and the foals chances were slim hopefully they will both keep fighting through the night at least its a nice warm dry nice tonight