Suspensory ligament

susanjc

www.supremehorse.co.uk
Hi my horse did a supspensory in Aug and had 6 weeks rest with SWT 3 times over 3 weeks.
He has been back in work now 6 weeks and is sound(thank God). I am now wrapping him up in cotton wool! He doesn't get to run around the field anymore as he is on his own now, he wears field chaps and stable chaps, he gets Nettex joint supplement and wears Sports Medicine boots in all disciplines. If he goes lame again it will be against all the odds.
Go for the SWT it hasn't been proven but if you don't do it you will never know.
Hope your horse gets better soon x

star

Visit site
my horse had PSD in his RH 5yrs ago - he had 3 lots of shockwave, i used magnetic boots, fed him MSM, turned him out in sports med boots and took my time on the rehab. it worked - he stayed sound for 4yrs before damaging his annular ligaments.

susanjc

www.supremehorse.co.uk
Definately take your time on rehab. Steadily and consistently strengthening the ligament for about 6-8 weeks. You can then start schooling again or turn them way, but it''t the re-fitness that's the key!

star

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Definately take your time on rehab. Steadily and consistently strengthening the ligament for about 6-8 weeks. You can then start schooling again or turn them way, but it''t the re-fitness that's the key!

[/ QUOTE ]

it needs more than 6-8 weeks! more like 6-8months. we did 3 months of walking, firstly in hand then ridden, then 2months trotting gradually building up to 20mins at a time then cantering - this was all out hacking. only after 5.5months did we introduce schooling again and just gradually built things up again.

susanjc

www.supremehorse.co.uk
ok! but I was talking about my horses suspensory strain which was mild and only needed 6 weeks rest before I could work him again. I have started with 5 mins in hand and we are at 50 minutes walk with 2 x 5 mins trot on hard surface. That all took 6 weeks. Every case is different of course, I didn't mean to mislead anyone. It does of course depend on the severity of the strain!

I am with one of the top vets surgery's in Europe so in my own case I know what I'm talking about. However, every case is different so go with you vet as far as fitness is concerned.

_jetset_

Visit site
Thanks everyone...

Grace is on 6-8 weeks box rest, and after 4 weeks she is to be walked in hand (I'll know more about this tomorrow). Then after 8 weeks if everything is going to plan she can be ridden in walk, but as she does not hack on the road without being incredibly stupid, this will be done in an arena which I have been told is acceptable.

star

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
ok! but I was talking about my horses suspensory strain which was mild and only needed 6 weeks rest before I could work him again. I have started with 5 mins in hand and we are at 50 minutes walk with 2 x 5 mins trot on hard surface. That all took 6 weeks. Every case is different of course, I didn't mean to mislead anyone. It does of course depend on the severity of the strain!

I am with one of the top vets surgery's in Europe so in my own case I know what I'm talking about. However, every case is different so go with you vet as far as fitness is concerned.

[/ QUOTE ]

fair enough if yours is v mild, but you made it sound like 6-8weeks was the time anyone should take and it's definitely a lot longer with most ligament problems - they are worse than fractures for healing and can take up to 18months with bad ones or not at all - my horse has now been off 18months and still cant cope with work, despite being field sound. he's worked his way through half the ligaments in his body - i do kind of feel like a ligament expert now rather depressingly - would rather know nothing about them!

alisonpook

Visit site
Please tread very carefully with suspensory problems. We had a horse diagnosed with coproximal suspensory desmitis about 5 years ago. It took about £3,000 to get a diagnosis and even then the referral vet said that he would be passing him as sound if it had been an examination for sale. The horse was not hopping lame but more a lack of movement and swing.Sadly our vet misread the scans and said things were getting better when they were actually deteriorating and at the time the nerve operation and shock wave therapy were only just evolving. Just take your time in getting back to full fitness. I am sure it will pay dividends in the long run. Good Luck

alisonpook

Visit site
Ps- we used magnetic boots and supplements such as msm. We found a bowen practitioner helped to ease the tensions of box rest. We gradually built up the in hand walking to around 2 hours a day - but have since read that several 40 minute sessions a day in the final stages of the recovery period may be thought better than just one long slog. We found a short video clip every so often helped us to evaluate progress and above all trust your instincts and if worried or unsure don't be afraid to ask the vet .

_jetset_

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Please tread very carefully with suspensory problems. We had a horse diagnosed with coproximal suspensory desmitis about 5 years ago. It took about £3,000 to get a diagnosis and even then the referral vet said that he would be passing him as sound if it had been an examination for sale. The horse was not hopping lame but more a lack of movement and swing.Sadly our vet misread the scans and said things were getting better when they were actually deteriorating and at the time the nerve operation and shock wave therapy were only just evolving. Just take your time in getting back to full fitness. I am sure it will pay dividends in the long run. Good Luck

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this is exactly what Grace was like!

She was sound on a trot up and even after flexions
blush.gif

_jetset_

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Ps- we used magnetic boots and supplements such as msm. We found a bowen practitioner helped to ease the tensions of box rest. We gradually built up the in hand walking to around 2 hours a day - but have since read that several 40 minute sessions a day in the final stages of the recovery period may be thought better than just one long slog. We found a short video clip every so often helped us to evaluate progress and above all trust your instincts and if worried or unsure don't be afraid to ask the vet .

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for that... God, 40 mins three times a day
blush.gif
blush.gif
blush.gif

I'm going to have to give up everything else!!!
laugh.gif

I have magnetic stable wraps so will dig those out and start introducing them again over a week, and she is already on Cortaflex... would this be ok?

I am also considering buying an Equissage or something to help keep her muscles working while she is on box rest... what do you think?

angiebaby

Visit site
Hi, I have also posted on your topic on Lounge; Interested in the re-hab really, my pony was operated on 2 weeks ago for PSD, prognosis very good. He is on one months box rest now; His staples came out on Wednesday, and I am now walking 10mins a day in hand. 15 mins next weeks, 20 the next. He will then be allowed out in a small paddock, and the walking built up over 3 months to an hour a day. Trotting, if all is well can start on hard ground only after 3 months, building this up to several 3/4 mins trots in an hours hack.
Schooling is a no no until 5 months.

_jetset_

Visit site
Thanks AmyMay... I am pretty gutted, but just focusing now on getting her right!

I am trying to book her into the Yorkshire Equine Clinic while I am away over the new year, and just found out Peter (the vet who she has been with) does a clinic there once a week too so he'll be visiting!

christine48

Visit site
I am sorry to hear your news, lets hope it is a minor injury but time is the crucial thing. Has she been scanned though? I am just asking because last year a vet diagnosed a suspensory injury in my horse without a scan, recommended shock wave therapy and turn him out for the winter. We were sceptical so got a 2nd opinion and he could find nothing wrong. The horse then subsequently passed a 5 stage vetting was sold and evented this season upto 3*

Tiffany

Visit site
My girl sprained her front suspensory ligament. She had 3 months off, spa treatment at Beaverhall and then slowly brought back into work. I now always work her in bandages which I think offer more support than boots. She's been back in work 6 motnhs and we are back competing in prelim dressage.
smile.gif

angiebaby

Visit site
Baubles_becki, how is your horse? I have been walking mine out now for 5 days, and all is going to plan. He is using his injured leg really well, and no longer walking toe first
smile.gif

I thought he might be a bit more excited about going out, but nothing seems to faze him! I'm practically dragging him down the road.

_jetset_

Visit site
Grace is on complete box rest for four weeks, and then I can start walking her in hand after that... I am glad your boy is being good. Tell him to pass some calming vibes to Grace in four weeks
smile.gif

bexj

Visit site
My girl has just had a neurectomy, and is now on box rest for another 2 months - will be nearly 5 months in total. As many of the others have said, the slow recovery is the key to this type of injury.

If you can get her into YEC, then I can highly recommend it - I have been a livery there for nearly 5 years

_jetset_

Visit site
Really? Small world hey?!

She is booked in at YEC for the New Year while I am away. That way I know she will be in the best possible hands
smile.gif

What did your horse look like? Mine was the chesnut mare in the stable to the right of the clinic door
smile.gif

angiebaby

Visit site
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and your horse, I too have a chestnut, they rock don't they!Bexj, how long has your horse got on box rest? Mine has just had a neurectomy, on Nov 2nd, his staples are out but there is still a slight swelling, is this normal, he has a stable bandage on , you can barely see the scar!