Suspiciously missing stuff...

tatty_v

Visit site
My livery and I parted ways earlier in the year, as what had been a good relationship was deteriorating due to her propensity to treat my house and stables as her own, ignore polite requests (like don’t spraypaint the floor of the stable please!) and boss me about to an unbearable level (not allowed to store my fork outside my stable, for example, because it “looks untidy”!) She has since been slagging me off to all and sundry, which I have tried to graciously ignore.

I am sad about all this as we were good friends initially, but after she moved I’ve had so many people tell me they were surprised I stuck it out that long (would have been useful to know before but still!)

I went to clip my horse at the weekend and realised that both sets of my blades were missing. I know she had them last, but she is claiming that they “went missing” when she took them to the sharpeners and only her sets returned.

This seems highly unlikely, but there’s not a lot I can do about it. So I just needed a place to vent and ask, why do people have to be like this?! No matter how a friendship pans out I would never take someone’s things!

Rant over (and I’m still £80 out of pocket!)

Flicker

Visit site
She will feel justified because you presumably asked her to leave. It will be your fault in her mind therefore she will feel that she is entitled to ‘compensation’ in some form.

Some people are just incapable of accepting accountability for their behaviour. It seems to be a feature of the modern age.

Sorry this happened to you.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Dreadful behaviour. My neighbour's livery took the postcode hoof brands that she part owned with my neighbour, the yard owner. She seemed to forget that I owned a third of them as well and I wasn't even a livery and was entirely blameless!

Trouper

Visit site
Karma - definitely. Sometimes you just have to pity some people's sad lives. When I am not feeling quite so benevolent I just remember that the view from the moral high ground is better!!

JulesRules

Visit site
What's up with some people who just feel the need to help themselves to your stuff?

When I left my last yard after a fall out with the owner (she kept leaving my paddock gates open while my horses were out and moving and taking down my fence down) I moved everything apart from my electric fencing and came back a day or so later to do it. When I arrived she was going along the fence cutting the tape and taking my fence posts. She stopped when I arrived and caught her and I was so glad to be out of there that I just left it thinking that if she was so desperate for a few plastic posts she was welcome to them, but then when I had to buy more this summer I must admit it did grate all over again.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Because we live in a NOA

What's a NOA?

I don't understand people like OP's former sharer.

Or people who help themselves to things that have been forgotten on the yard. I regularly bring things into the office, and I even asks before taking something out of the rubbish bin like a broken schooling whip or crop (to recycle the flexible rod) or a stirrup leather whose buckle or stitching is broken.

dorsetladette

Visit site
My livery and I parted ways earlier in the year, as what had been a good relationship was deteriorating due to her propensity to treat my house and stables as her own, ignore polite requests (like don’t spraypaint the floor of the stable please!) and boss me about to an unbearable level (not allowed to store my fork outside my stable, for example, because it “looks untidy”!) She has since been slagging me off to all and sundry, which I have tried to graciously ignore.

I am sad about all this as we were good friends initially, but after she moved I’ve had so many people tell me they were surprised I stuck it out that long (would have been useful to know before but still!)

I went to clip my horse at the weekend and realised that both sets of my blades were missing. I know she had them last, but she is claiming that they “went missing” when she took them to the sharpeners and only her sets returned.

This seems highly unlikely, but there’s not a lot I can do about it. So I just needed a place to vent and ask, why do people have to be like this?! No matter how a friendship pans out I would never take someone’s things!

Rant over (and I’m still £80 out of pocket!)

Would you like to share my gin?

highlandponygirl

Visit site
I wouldn't worry about the gossip she spouts, you (and probably everyone else) know you've done nothing wrong. People like your former livery never change, she'll take her awful attitude and sticky fingers wherever she goes; everyone will soon get the measure of her and treat her accordingly.

Annagain

Visit site
I feel your pain - my best friend and I use each other's stuff interchangeably - horses are same size and I used to share her horse anyway. We've both noticed little things going missing recently - particularly things we had two or more of or things we haven't used for a while - almost as if someone is thinking "they won't miss those". It's just things like brushes, hay nets (we have hay bars so only need nets for the trailer or when they're tied up for the farrier) and schooling whips -the horses are getting on and have only been hacking for last year or so so we haven't used them. We had 3 in the tack room, all gone. I went to use my lunge whip for the first time in years on Wednesday - now that I have Charlie. Even though I hadn't used it I knew where it was (in a place that wasn't easy to find) and it was there a few months ago and that had gone too.

There are a couple of more expensive things we've noticed too. A breastplate martingale has disappeared - again the old boys haven't worn it for years but I needed a martingale for Charlie and when I went to look for it it wasn't there. The latest thing, two identical rugs that neither old horse had worn for years but were still there in May when I packed the winter rugs away. I was going to try them on Charlie. The strange thing is, they're at least 6" too big for any other horse on the yard and even if they fitted any other horses we'd certainly notice if they were wearing them as they're bright purple.

I've also had a pair of scissors appear in my tack box that aren't mine and I've never seen before, as if someone 'borrowed' them from someone and then forgot where they came from - or is trying to frame me! I've asked everyone about them and nobody claims to be the owner. It's very odd and very frustrating.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
I'm sure the selfish gene has always existed, but coupled with todays self entitlement culture, it's become more prevalent.
Unless everything is locked or chained, it's open season on all personal kit and feed. Most yards suffer from people who see all property as communal and as an observation, it's never those who are struggling financially.

Wishfilly

Visit site
She sounds awful and entitled. Obviously it's very annoying about your blades, but if £80 is the price of being shot of her, I suppose it might be worth it?

Wine and sympathy though!

Lois Lame

Visit site
... The latest thing, two identical rugs that neither old horse had worn for years but were still there in May when I packed the winter rugs away. I was going to try them on Charlie. The strange thing is, they're at least 6" too big for any other horse on the yard and even if they fitted any other horses we'd certainly notice if they were wearing them as they're bright purple.

Interesting. Reading that, I've decided that people must steal things to sell second hand.

I'm sure the selfish gene has always existed, but coupled with todays self entitlement culture, it's become more prevalent.
Unless everything is locked or chained, it's open season on all personal kit and feed. Most yards suffer from people who see all property as communal and as an observation, it's never those who are struggling financially.

Dare I say it but I think it's a generation or two or three of kids allowed to have everything they want. It's very character building to be brought up NOT being given everything except the important stuff like love etc etc.