swollen around teats - opinions please!

Anna*

Visit site
My mare is a little swollen and sore around her teats - mastitis?. Since the vet closed 20 minutes ago (obviously!) and I haven't had a horse with this before, I'm thinking that an emergency call out isn't needed and that Monday will be fine? She's happy in herself but pulled a face when I touched it.

Thoughts please, lovely people!

Tnavas

Visit site
Several things
Could she be in foal?
Is she getting on in years? Cushing horses can produce milk
Any chance she's been bitten by bugs?

I'd not stress, see how things go over the weekend. She's not likely to have mastitis as that generally happens to nursing animals.

WandaMare

Visit site
My mare's teats have been slightly swollen the last few days too, I'm thinking its down to midges as I've noticed a few around. I've just bought mine in so I'm going to check in the morning and hopefully the swelling will have gone down.

I thought she had mastitis a few years ago but it just turned out to be a skin infection so vet gave me shampoo and some cream.

Anna*

Visit site
God, I hope she's not pregnant! That would scupper my plans somewhat! ;-) I got her from my friend last summer when her foal was weaned and she's just turned 10. Thank you so much for getting back. I'll see how she is in the morning. she is due her flu jab so I'll get her checked and jabbed next week. Thank you again.

Anna*

Visit site
I've had her about 8 months and her weight has been fairly static. The spring grass has really started coming through here and she did have a bit of an upset gut at the start of the week. She is quite sensitive to lush grass.

Anna*

Visit site
I don't. I'll get some in the morning if they're still swollen. Just having a panic that she's somehow been knocked up!

Spring Feather

Visit site
Yes get a photo and post it. I'm sure it's absolutely nothing to worry about, but many of us breeders on here are quite used to looking at teats so will say if we see anything out of the ordinary :smile3:

Anna*

Visit site
Yes get a photo and post it. I'm sure it's absolutely nothing to worry about, but many of us breeders on here are quite used to looking at teats so will say if we see anything out of the ordinary :smile3:

That's lovely of you. Thank you. I'll get one first thing.

Cowpony

Visit site
My mare had this the first year I had her and she produced what looked like milk even though she wasn't in foal. I put her on Oestress and that seemed to sort it out. The next year she didn't get the symptoms and I didn't use a supplement. I wondered if it was because she came to a yard with lots of geldings (she was a brood mare in her first life).

putasocinit

Visit site
Cold hose teats, cool water help with swelling and soothe bug bites, lather with bug cream and if mine i would give bute for a couple of days to help, then if no better by monday speak to vets for a visit

Anna*

Visit site
Cold hose teats, cool water help with swelling and soothe bug bites, lather with bug cream and if mine i would give bute for a couple of days to help, then if no better by monday speak to vets for a visit

This was my plan :) thank you for your advice!

neddymad

Visit site
I had this with a little mare I had. The vet said that a rise in protein in the grass can cause this especially if they have foaled before. We even had her scanned as she was producing milk.

Anna*

Visit site
OMG! Watch out for flying hooves if you do that...

Has she been with a stallion since the foal was born? They go through a VERY fertile stage just after the foal is born

No, thankfully! Went away to stud so no stallions about :) the proteins in the grass is interesting. We're on old dairy grass and she often finds it too rich. I'm the only person I know trying to find a livery with dreadful grazing ;-)

putasocinit

Visit site
Why watch out for the flying hooves, all of my horses i can do anything with, its about whose in charge, i am surprised how many horses seem to mess people around, anyway if you have the hose on without a squirter, so it is a nice pressure and run it over the teats mare should be fine, if you put you finger on the end of the hose and make it sharp you could get resistance because it will be uncomfortable.

Fides

Visit site
Why watch out for the flying hooves, all of my horses i can do anything with, its about whose in charge, i am surprised how many horses seem to mess people around, anyway if you have the hose on without a squirter, so it is a nice pressure and run it over the teats mare should be fine, if you put you finger on the end of the hose and make it sharp you could get resistance because it will be uncomfortable.

It was a jovial post... I sure wouldn't like someone cold hosing my boobs - soft of firm stream....

putasocinit

Visit site
Bet you would if it was a very hot day and you were enjoying yourself by the pool, lol.

Anyway we are people, horses are horses and cold hosing a horse in this situation is to relieve pain and inflammation so its a case of it needs, should be done. Would be different if one decided at -1c to take the hosepiepe and squirt the poor horse up its sheath just for the fun of it, then they should get kicked by the flying hooves.

Think of the racehorses that are swum when its freezing outside and their wet tails get icicles on after swimming, and thats for their health.