T/O after 5 months - for those who don't T/O in the winter

JulesRules

Visit site
Can't get on PM at the mo as phone isn't playing ball but there might be a space coming up on our yard which would be perfect for you I think.

When I can get on PM I'll send over YO's number. I know she had a waiting list, but a space coming up is very rare and people's circumstances change so it could be right time, right place.

Worth a look/ call anyway

gunnergundog

Visit site
OK, so everyone has had their say, so now why not turn things around and try and HELP the OP in a practical way ? :)

A number of people have mentioned or insinuated that they know of yards or could find yards better than that the OP is on, so come on, I challenge you, list them! People on here are great at sleuthing out trolls so lets sleuth out some new yards for her , eh? :)

Make it easy for the OP who has obviously got a lot going on in life - you should be able to deduce her requirements from the various posts above (ie environs of Solihull, 25 mins drive from centre, assisted/part livery, reasonable cost, good surface and hacking) then you can add on the horses requirements as you have discussed above - oh, and reasonable availability too! (No three year waiting lists!)

Will be interested to see what is proposed.

Just to acknowledge JulesRules, Justkickon and Red-1 who have risen to the challenge and posted some constructive suggestions for the OP - thank you! :) Any more? :D

Frumpoon

Visit site
Off the top of my head, 20-30 mins from Solihull are.. I will probably think of more if I did a quick Google search and thought a bit more about where friends keep theirs.

Swallowfield Equestrian in Lapworth - their standard of care is impeccable! Brilliant arenas and I have always seen horses out there even in the winter time

Sovereign Horses in Claverdon - Jake is great and have heard wonderful things about them

CMC Equine in Chadwick End - Claire is full of knowledge and will do all she can to help. If Rachel and Mitch still worth there, they are super too.

Jemma Bentley Dressage/ Wootton Hill Farm in Hill Wootton - Jemma is really lovely and does her best to accommodate individual horses needs. Fields rarely seem to get muddy. Indoor and outdoor arena plus a boundary ride bordering the river and good hacking routes

Meadow View Stables in Burton Green - fab hacking nearby on a bridle way, they have a lovely arena there with mirrors. No one on site though but have heard good things all the same

Might be worth contact Sam Dewar or James McCullough too to see if they have space on their yards.
Worth seeing if you can get hold of contact details for John Townsend in Claverdon if he is still there, Irish chap and really lovely, did have stables, arena and good hacking round the area.

There are several in this list that don't do winter turnout despite what they may say

JustKickOn

Visit site
There are several in this list that don't do winter turnout despite what they may say

Well I definitely know Swallowfield do as I've been there often enough to see horses out in the fields in the winter.

I know Jemma turns out whenever possible as I've been there at 7am rugging and putting horses out in the fields - sometimes if it's pouring or really bad they stay in, but will go out when possible at least for a few hours and go on the walker to stretch their legs. Plus they do have the grass livery out 24/7 option.

Meadow View have only just done their first winter in business and horses have been out in the fields.

Have been for lessons with Claire at CMC in the middle of winter to use their indoor arena, some horses were in but others were out.

Can't comment on Sovereign but pictures look like there are horses turned out in winter.

Perhaps it would be helpful to indicate which yards you feel do not turn out in the winter, in order to help the OP find a more suitable yard suggestion?

KautoStar1

Visit site
OPs question was how to manage turn out after 5 months in. And many people have advised on that so I don't think people have been unhelpful and OP has made it clear she doesn't want to move.

applecart14

Visit site
Just an update. Had a lovely day on the fun ride yesterday, Bailey was full of energy but very sensible, had a field of horse canter and jump past him and he was rock steady, a couple of people commented on how good he was, although one of the canters up the hill did descend into a bit of a 'free for all', he was obviously having fun! I did the shorter route as my partner had walked part of the route 'backwards' with the dog and rang to advise that at the end of the ride it was very deep going into the wood. Bails finished full of running and we both thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. There was plenty of varied terrain, I stayed in walk in the fields that had the longer tufty type grass and had a trot and little canter up the hills where the grass was short and green and flatter.

Was envious of everyone jumping, most of the jumps we have jumped on previous years, but kept my sensible head on, hopefully there will be plenty of time for jumping again later in the year on some other fun rides. Bails kept trying to pull towards the jumps, he obviously fancied a go! The photographer took a photo of us having a little canter past instead of over the photographers jump, although I cringe about how fat I look in it at least its a reminder of the day.

Met partner and dog back at the trailer and had a lovely picnic whilst Bailey had a pick at the grass. Delighted with him, he loaded immediately both directions and was a joy to ride. Put an instant ice pack on just as a precaution under his icevibe boot but as suspected leg was fine and remained fine later in the day after arrival home.

This morning he has gone into the grass paddock at the yard for an hour and the time will be gradually built up over the next few days as we will have to watch the grass intake with all of them for a while and hopefully now the big field have been harrowed we can turn them out in the field in the next couple of weeks.

No doubt he will be full of gas tonight when I get to the yard so will take him for a quick spin around the block.

Last edited:

applecart14

Visit site

This was at the end of the ride! Not a very flattering photo of either of us to be honest, but a nice reminder of the day. May get the official photographers photo as its much nicer!! :)

Be nice as a comparison photo for the next ride I do - by then hopefully I will have lost a few pounds and I don't because I have lost my purse either :)

Last edited: