T/O after 5 months - for those who don't T/O in the winter

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I was replying to your points, not the OP who will do what she likes, as always and as is her right at horse owner and we will all wonder what the mythical correct answer to the question was again. :p

sjp1

Visit site
Well OP, all I can say is that ours have gone out for a few hours today after having been in corrals over winter. Suited me absolutely fine, mine had a tendon issue when on a different yard out in fields 24/7, was brought back into work slowly after 6 months rest, went through a post and rail fence at new yard at the end of July last year, after having been diagnosed with a suspensory injury a month prior to that. He was out in the field for all of the injuries.

Ours have been in corrals with adlib hay and company all day since October last year. I have brought him back into work slowly during February.

He has been fine.

Horses in my opinion need company and a hooley, whether that is in a corral with hay or out in a field hock deep in mud. Obviously any change has to be managed slowly - ours went out today, cantered around twice and then got their heads down.

I was dubious about this regime when I moved yards, but I needed a contained area for my horse at the time.

There are a lot of different systems that work - don't knock it til you try it is what I say!

applecart14

Visit site
Well OP, all I can say is that ours have gone out for a few hours today after having been in corrals over winter. Suited me absolutely fine, mine had a tendon issue when on a different yard out in fields 24/7, was brought back into work slowly after 6 months rest, went through a post and rail fence at new yard at the end of July last year, after having been diagnosed with a suspensory injury a month prior to that. He was out in the field for all of the injuries.

Ours have been in corrals with adlib hay and company all day since October last year. I have brought him back into work slowly during February.

He has been fine.

Horses in my opinion need company and a hooley, whether that is in a corral with hay or out in a field hock deep in mud. Obviously any change has to be managed slowly - ours went out today, cantered around twice and then got their heads down.

I was dubious about this regime when I moved yards, but I needed a contained area for my horse at the time.

There are a lot of different systems that work - don't knock it til you try it is what I say!

Thanks. The vet rang me yesterday to say that the videos I had emailed him of my horses progress he was delighted with and that I can move up a gear and start cantering him again albeit it to start with straight lines, different surfaces, as previous injuries rehab programs which I used the previous twice. He is as always amazed at my horses speed of recovery from injury, citing that most horses would still be on box rest at this stage and to take it easy. Whilst I am not blowing my own trumpet, I think there is a lot to be said for early intervention with ice therapy and a nice flat even surface for limited turnout which he has had and I could never fault the yard for the help they have given me with this. I have upped the hacking over the last month or so, as during the last week have undertaken two 1.5 hour hacks and two one hour hacks with ménage riding on the other days, probably doing between 6 - 8 miles each time.

He agreed that it would be fine to take him on the fun ride I have planned at the weekend (obviously most of it will be at walk with a little trot) but it will be nice to have a change and I think the fields have dried up sufficiently to allow us to do this.

As I was curious, I asked him what were the chances were of him being able to go out 365 days a year with the typical winter turnout that we have here in the Midlands and he has said surprisingly that he feels he will be able to cope with his problems and that it won't be of any detriment to him, so should I decide to move at leas this is a viable option for him and me but obviously this will be my decision at the end of the day as this is a huge thing to undertake and I had planned on this being Bailey's forever home.

I am glad your horse is recovering well. At the time of moving the yard suited my horse because of his injury although I had not known that 'all year turnout' was in fact seven or eight months sandpit and four or five months field. As I say I cannot fault the yard or the YO as their fields are peat based, so can be very wet and is nothing at all to do with mismanagement which has been stated before on this thread. It is what it is and last night, another hack around the lanes for an hour - with a total of four cars passing me - not many can boast of being this lucky with their hacking!

Last edited:

Michen

Visit site
Taking a rehabbing horse on a fun ride!? I hope he is immaculately behaved on them :O Good luck with whatever you decide re yard, it's a nightmare trying to find one that ticks all the boxes so you can only do your best.

Thanks. The vet rang me yesterday to say that the videos I had emailed him of my horses progress he was delighted with and that I can move up a gear and start cantering him again albeit it to start with straight lines, different surfaces, as previous injuries rehab programs which I used the previous twice. He is as always amazed at my horses speed of recovery from injury, citing that most horses would still be on box rest at this stage and to take it easy. Whilst I am not blowing my own trumpet, I think there is a lot to be said for early intervention with ice therapy and a nice flat even surface for limited turnout which he has had and I could never fault the yard for the help they have given me with this. I have upped the hacking over the last month or so, as during the last week have undertaken two 1.5 hour hacks and two one hour hacks with ménage riding on the other days, probably doing between 6 - 8 miles each time.

He agreed that it would be fine to take him on the fun ride I have planned at the weekend (obviously most of it will be at walk with a little trot) but it will be nice to have a change and I think the fields have dried up sufficiently to allow us to do this.

As I was curious, I asked him what were the chances were of him being able to go out 365 days a year with the typical winter turnout that we have here in the Midlands and he has said surprisingly that he feels he will be able to cope with his problems and that it won't be of any detriment to him, so should I decide to move at leas this is a viable option for him and me but obviously this will be my decision at the end of the day as this is a huge thing to undertake and I had planned on this being Bailey's forever home.

I am glad your horse is recovering well. At the time of moving the yard suited my horse because of his injury although I had not known that 'all year turnout' was in fact seven or eight months sandpit and four or five months field. As I say I cannot fault the yard or the YO as their fields are peat based, so can be very wet and is nothing at all to do with mismanagement which has been stated before on this thread. It is what it is and last night, another hack around the lanes for an hour - with a total of four cars passing me - not many can boast of being this lucky with their hacking!

applecart14

Visit site
Taking a rehabbing horse on a fun ride!? I hope he is immaculately behaved on them :O Good luck with whatever you decide re yard, it's a nightmare trying to find one that ticks all the boxes so you can only do your best.

Yes he is fine, he always behaves on fun rides, he gets a little excitable at times, but nothing uncontrollable! In the past we have had a group of riders (with my permission) canter past us and he happily stood still whilst they did, before I let him canter after them at a distance. The last ride I went on a ride we had a steam train go past us when we were on a track below the line, and it let of its horn as it was parallel to us. The horses in front and behind him were going mental and spinning like tops, he just had a casual look and stood his ground, bless him. One of the riders commented on how good he was at the time - I replied "he's good at most things, but show him a dock leaf and he falls apart" lol. I call it his 'big leaf phobia', he hates big dock leaves!!! :)

Some of the rides we have done on previous years were during his rehab phase. Its nice to do something a bit different, I take a picnic, my other half comes with me with the dog and meets us half a mile before the end and then I untack him, wash him down and let him have a bit of a graze.

ester

Visit site
Yet recently you were posting about your dreadful hacking experiences.
For me the risk of him putting extra pressure on it would be far too high, a little excitable at times is not good when rehabbing.
I'm glad he said he would be good to go out longer term :).

TheSylv007

www.ridewelland.co.uk
Yet recently you were posting about your dreadful hacking experiences.
For me the risk of him putting extra pressure on it would be far too high, a little excitable at times is not good when rehabbing.
I'm glad he said he would be good to go out longer term :).

I thought it was a single one-off bad hacking experience caused by an out of the ordinary settlement of caravans?

JFTDWS

Visit site
I thought it was a single one-off bad hacking experience caused by an out of the ordinary settlement of caravans?

Wasn't there a prior thread about the OP being scared of being ditched by his spookiness?

I'm not sure I'd be fun riding a rehab horse either, and at least one of mine is saintly on fun rides. It's quite a risk, in my book.

applecart14

Visit site

Yes you are correct it was a one off!

On Wednesday I decided to tackle the bridle path again as I didn't want it to be a defining thing that he would remember for ever. This time I gave him a net of hay in the stable after I had tacked him up, and let him have a mouthful (so he would be keen to come back to it) and set off - this time going down the hill so the gypsy site was on our left and he was going in the direction of home. :)

Although he was on his toes he took it in his stride, had a good gawp but decided the hay net on offer when he got home was worth it!
Next time we will go past it the other way but I will take my partner for back up and we WILL get there I am determined.

Last edited:

applecart14

Visit site
Wasn't there a prior thread about the OP being scared of being ditched by his spookiness?

I'm not sure I'd be fun riding a rehab horse either, and at least one of mine is saintly on fun rides. It's quite a risk, in my book.

Strange though it might seem, I think I am best qualified to comment on my horses ability to both hack out and go on fun rides, not someone that has never met me, or my horse and has never sat on him. He has always been a spooky horse so on the advice on this forum I put him on a fortnights bute trial (as he was supposedly 'spooking because he was in pain') and got his eyes/teeth/back/leg checked. As suspected the bute trial didn't make a blind bit of difference to the spooking (the cessation of the barley water did though) and his leg, teeth, eyes, back were perfectly fine.

I am quite aware of the dangers of fun rides, you are speaking to someone who sadly lost her horse of a lifetime, three weeks after a nasty accident on a fun ride some 19 years ago. It took me a long, long time to feel confident on rides, but if we go through life with 'what if's' we would do nothing with our horses. The vet says its okay, in my opinion, there is no more danger of him hurting his leg on a fun ride than on a long hack down the bridle paths and lanes. I have always gone on my own, preferring to go at my own pace and I never hammer him around anywhere.

What does make me feel rather apprehensive and anxious, are people on this forum continually criticising me for every comment I make.

Last edited:

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Applecart, you do not have to justify yourself to people on here. Your horse, your business. We all do things differently.

applecart14

Visit site
Applecart, you do not have to justify yourself to people on here. Your horse, your business. We all do things differently.

Seems like not everyone would agree with those sentiments Wagtail.

I came on here wanting advice on turnout after five months away from grass.

• I have been criticized about the way my horse is kept in respect of the sandpit.
  • I have been told that my yard owner doesn't know how to manage her grazing.
  • I have been told that I should have had my horse tested for cushings.
  • I have been told that I am talking rubbish about the state of fields.
  • I have been criticized for taking my horse on a fun ride.
    • I have also been told I am 'bu**erring through blindly' and there was a comparison with me and 'anyone with half a brain cell'
Is there any other topic that I haven't mentioned that someone would like to have a dig at me for whilst we are totally off subject again?

Last edited:

joulsey

Visit site
Op I think if you was to say the grass is green, people on here would tell you you are wrong.

I have agreed and disagreed with certain things on here, but you know your horse well enough to know if its suitable to go on the fun ride or not. Enjoy!

applecart14

Visit site
Op I think if you was to say the grass is green, people on here would tell you you are wrong.

I have agreed and disagreed with certain things on here, but you know your horse well enough to know if its suitable to go on the fun ride or not. Enjoy!

Thanks I intend to. And if those that criticize me and belittle me constantly on this forum are attending the same ride, do feel free to come over and tell me to my face what you are telling me on here, whilst hiding behind your user name. Maybe we can sit down with a coffee and discuss nicely :)

ester

Visit site
People can criticize, you won't ever be able to stop them doing so, it doesn't mean you have to listen to them or do anything different though.
Sadly I am a bit far from solihull, it would be rather an extended hack, although I guess closer than JFTD and ffionwinnie!

Re the arguing the grass is green, I argue a lot of things but rarely without some evidence to back it up just because that is how I tick.
Reading things that are blatantly incorrect/go against the 'rules' trigger me quite badly but I am only just working that out and managing it is a work in progress ;)

JFTDWS

Visit site
Sadly I am a bit far from solihull, it would be rather an extended hack, although I guess closer than JFTD and ffionwinnie!

Likewise. And I have plans. I'm not hiding behind any username though - I am very easily identifiable and traceable on here and into real life.

I think we've all had our share of criticism on here. You have to learn what to listen to now, what to store for future reference and what to dismiss as irrelevant. Or stop posting - because you can't control how people will respond to you.

Neversaydie

Undecided
Visit site
Observed a few threads like this today, one person being lambasted, OP he is your horse and it is you who will have to deal with the consequences of anything he may do whilst you have him on a fun ride. I personally wouldn't take the horse, especially after a winter of no turnout. People will say what they think and really there are no irrelevant opinions or wrong answers, we all do what we think is best after all :)

_HP_

Visit site
It's a real shame that you consider being advised to ask your vet about Cushings, a negative.
Don't allow your feelings of being picked on, let you ignore good advice

hypopit

Visit site
I couldn't be assed trawling through all these posts. the ones having a go, mainly by OLD timers who have not walked in this particular persons shoes, with her horse on her land(rented or otherwise)..usual case with forums!!! But, if you had lived on a Welsh Mountain where from the 6th of November last year it had rained EVERY day and MOST night , and you had 5 horses on BEDROCK and CLAY...but 19 acres for said five horses...you (MAY) (POSSIBLY) understand why some people have to keep their horses in for various reasons (which I can't be assed going in to) from time to time in winter....Oh, and they are all very sensible and well adjusted ...Oooo horrors of horrors! Try and ignore all the smug pictures Applecart.
As I said Applecart ,I could not be assed reading all that dross. You do what you do, because you have to. I bet, if half the people criticising you saw the state of the meat horses dumped up by me every winter they would think your horse was a prize pampered pony. Like I said.... OLD. Your horse sounds like he is well loved and cared for. Hope it works out OK for you both, I'm sure it will.

ester

Visit site
It isn't the sensible/well adjusted situation that is being discussed though, it is the effect on soft tissue of a lack of movement.
Now that movement can be replaced by all weather turnout but not for an hour a day.
Applecart is also not on a welsh mountain.
Everything is relative, no one is posting asking for opinions on what to do with their dumped meat horses and I think it quite condescending that those commenting have no knowledge of what goes on in the larger equine world. However it doesn't mean that we aren't all still learning and able to make improvements (however small) on how we keep our own beasts.

If you had to have walked in a persons shoes with their horse in every scenario 1) there would be no point in forums even existing, 2) no one would ever learn anything new until they found themselves in that situation.

ester

Visit site
Sorry?! What sort of relevant, adult question is that!
I'm a pedantic scientist with an unhealthy interest in horse's hooves currently but I don't see how that is relevant either.

ester

Visit site
Right, obviously you have quality peer reviewed statistical evidence for this information.

You're a right charmer aren't you, which stone did you crawl out from?

Sorry JFTD turns out I am older than you thought too, and likely fatter (you know I know most things so we can get over that bit at least) will you still have me?

hypopit

Visit site
To be honest Ffion most people merge into one on this thread....unfortunately. Little help to anyone, especially the OP.