Tack Insurance On Livery Yards?

cowgirl16

Visit site
Morning everyone, I'm likely to get involved in a conversation about this today - so thought I'd do a bit of research first! To those of you on DIY yards - is your tack covered for theft by the YO/YM?

Shay

Visit site
By the owners - most commonly through house hold insurance. The YO might provide the storage with suitable locks etc. But there is no way a YO would be responsible for the insurance of items they do not own.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
You would cover your tack yourself and IME most policies don't cover it unless your yard has a proper building for tack with a certain type of lock/ security. I've never found a yard where the security meets insurance requirements so stopped insuring my tack via horse insurance years ago. Mine is covered by my house insurance - sports equipment away from home or something like that. I would never expect YO to be responsible - why would you?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
How would they insure items that don't belong to them? If it were their policy they would get the money if stolen?! What an odd question.
Items are insured by the owner

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
By the owners - most commonly through house hold insurance. The YO might provide the storage with suitable locks etc. But there is no way a YO would be responsible for the insurance of items they do not own.

this. Our tack room is not up to spec so I keep my saddles at home where they are covered on the household policy.

I have previously included tack on my horse insurance, when I was able to meet the criteria. At one yard the insurers accepted me keeping my tack in a metal cabinet bolted to the floor and locked, INSIDE a tackroom with a 5 lever mortice lock etc... the additional cabinet was necessary because of the number of people using the tackroom which meant it wasn't always locked in the day.

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
When I was in a yard the tack was covered in horse policy, but after the 5 mortise lock to the tack room broke and YO just replaced it with a cheep padlock, then I had to start taking saddles home which was a pain as sharer had to come fetch it from mine..
Insure what requirements are needed for the locks in the tack room

eggs

Visit site
When I first read you post I thought you meant if the YO nicked your stuff!

No, you are responsible for insuring your tack. However as others have said read the small print of your policy as they are very strict on the security precautions required and a lot of them won't cover if there are more than five horses at the yard.

Shay

Visit site
All risks on a good household policy is the best route we have found - and no particular security requirements.

Tack insurance as part of a horse policy - in my experience anyway - has very odd security requirements (at one point we had a 5 lever mortice lock but on a wooden door where the hinges to be unscrewed - but the insurance was happy!) and they only cover saddles / bridles. Household insurance covers everything.

Greylegs

Visit site
My policy states that they have to be in a secure building with a 5 lever mortice lock on a substantial door. A pad lock invalidates the insurance. also, there was a clause about the number of horses on the yard with one policy I had. Something to do with the more horses, the more likely you are to get stuff nicked/targetted by thieves, so tha' another thing worth checking. i've never been anywhere where the YO was responsible for insuring it. I now keep it at home and carry it back and forth, which is again, but it means it's covered under my household policy.

cowgirl16

Visit site
Thank you all for your responses. I didn't think the YO would be likely to have a policy to cover that sort of thing. As ester said, in the event of a claim it would be the YO that got paid! Personally, I never have and never will keep my tack at a yard. Nothing is secure. We have 2 small shipping containers for storage. One (the one I'm in) has one of those big heavy consealed padlocks that can't be cut off. The other container has just a flimsy combination padlock. You would think that my container was safe. Not so! Last year, someone came in at the dead of night, put straps around the bar on the door, and pulled the whole bl**dy door off! Anyway, the subject of security and insurance is bound to come up in the next few days, as our (self appointed) YM has instructed us that we have to re-organise the storage as we are so lacking in space now. All tack and "stuff" in one container, and all feed in the other. I just hope that they've all got decent insurance in place, many times I've been up to the yard in the middle of the day to find the other container door wide open and no one about!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
oh dear OP. Chances are that even if they think they are insured, they won't be covered in the event of a break in (or walk in, if the door is open!!) I've yet to come across a policy that would accept that kind of set up.

For my own conscience I'd be inclined to just mention it to people. If they are happy to risk it, then that's their choice :)

Pinkvboots

Visit site
You would be surprised at how many yards storage facilities are not secure enough to point that if your tack were stolen you won't be paid out because of it, I have only left my tack at a few yards over the years and if I am not happy with where it's left I take it home, I don't even leave my tack in the garage at home it lives in my back kitchen.