Tack Room Storage

NooNoo59

Visit site
Looking for ideas for the above, have a room at the back of my stable quite a good size but we are now having hay in large bales so it can get quite dusty. Have a set of drawers, mice getting in! baskets with stuff in but covered in dust and various hooks etc that everything is also getting dusty. Any got any space saving solutions that keeps everything clean and vermin free?

MagicMelon

Visit site
Ive been gutting my tackroom lately. I avoid shelving type things because as you say, just gather dust and in mine the birds nest and poo on it. Ive got big plastic drawer units with small baskets in to seperate things like bits etc. and store bottles flat, and large solid plastic trunks which are great for rugs. The plastic see through boxes you can get from places like Homebase are good for stuff, and you could stack them up. I've also got solid guttering which I threaded with strong rope and hung from the roof joists - brilliant for hanging rugs up to dry

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I have a couple of steel cabinets which are good for keeping critters out and keeping everything tidy and dust free.
Mine are ex-MOD, i found these ones on FB marketplace but they turn up on ebay now and then. metal office cupboards are similar but not as robust.

Lintel

Visit site
In my tack room I have 4x large bin/tubs from idea with lids that house.. (stuff that I don't need?)- think they were about £9 each.
I then have two large outdoor bench storage boxes that house my rugs- they were £30ish each.
I also have a couple of spare wheelie bins, that I no longer use but are good to keep the mice out. My feed bins and a Stanley tool box for all my brushes etc.

And her... (also very handy at keeping the mice at bay)
Screenshot_20200715_235149_com.huawei.himovie.overseas_copy_270x585.jpg

asmp

Visit site
Old large chest freezers. Great for storing feed bags and for rugs. Stops the mice/rats getting in. Got them free on Freecycle or else very cheap.

phizz4

Visit site
Could you use a patio storage box, the ones used to store cushions? Or, those large, plastic garden tool boxes.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I have a metal saddle cabinet, big enough for 2 saddles, bridles, boots, girths, saddle cloths etc etc.

Then 3 feed bins that are not for feed, keep rugs, spare saddle cloths, boots etc in.

Two metal lockers for jackets, riding boots, shelf for hays and gloves.

2 kitchen cupboards on the walls for 1st aid and potions.

Large slatted shelving unit with clear plastic boxes (with clip on lids) for odd and sods.

Everything is away from mice and the area is easy to hoover the cobwebs off.

GoldenWillow

Visit site
I used for a few years a patio storage box for rugs which was great.... until one year when the mice moved in and nested! Because I was only using the top couple of rugs I didn't notice until they'd wrecked a couple of rugs and everything was covered in mice poo and wee. I now use large clear plastic boxes.

Sealine

Visit site
I have a couple of the plastic garden storage trunks but my favourite is a large wooden trunk my husband made me which is very deep and has dividers inside which keeps everything organised. A friend has an old metal office cupboard and filing cabinet that she uses for storage.

NooNoo59

Visit site
Think plastic boxs with lids is the way forward! Hate throwing stuff out but I am sure I can streamline stuff, I mean how many sprays rugs brushes etc does one horse need?! I dont notice the dust etc in the winter but when summer comes you realise how mucky everything has got. Sort out starts with weekend!!!

Quigleyandme

Visit site
I keep all the clear plastic zipped covers that horse rugs and human bedding comes in and store everything in those which in turn goes into boxes. My friends and colleagues were always good about passing them on rather than binning them.