Tails - how do you do yours?

Cuppatea

www.facebook.com
Bloody hell cuppatea, those tails are fabulous ! how long did it take to get that good ?
i taught myself to do it (with the plait on the underside) and then eventually worked out how to do it the other way. It took (i think) about 2 months to get my first BTO from the first attempt! Took a little while longer to get consistently good though! I can do a full horse - mane and tail- in about 15-20minutes now!

cuppatea, wonderful plaits. It looks like it the plait is raised almost a reverse to the normal?
Apparently traditionally this is a plait for geldings and the underside plait is for a mare? I was told by someone but no-one else ever sems to have heard this so not sure if it has any trith to it or not.....
as Enfys said, you take the hair to the underside of the plait rather than over the top. Its not hard to do but if you can already do the mares plait its confusing to re-learn it! You do have to hold your fingers differently.

JenHunt

Visit site
JenHunt, immaculate.

awww... thanks!! :D

it's very easy to do really, and when he's got a bog brush made of wire wool, it's a heck of a lot easier than washing it after hunting! K9h taught me, via PM'd description, how to do it and I've never looked back!

I can do his mane and tail (all stitched) in about half an hour now.

BBP

Visit site
One of my friends is a professional braider in Canada and the State, she makes about $50 a mane and $30 for a tail, and would do 8-12 horses a night. She has no finger prints though due to the friction of all that hair!

Gorgeous plaits cuppatea, am off to get practicing. (I nearly won BTO out at New Zealands big 3* event...except my horses mane was on the left side of his neck, I mean, it's not like we carry swords any more, why does it matter for an eventer?! So got 9 out of 10...was still pretty proud though, especially since it was a NZ vs Aus championship)

Visit site
yeah, it made my meager 'wages' into something i could live on!:eek:
I did manage to win BTO with every single horse on the yard at some point.
I regularly got £150 at Brighton (with the same horse!) and had £200 for one at chepstow :eek: I also had an 80% win rate at cheltenham!! God i miss that money!! You're lucky to get a tenner at point to point!:(

Perth, Musselburgh, Ayr and Carlisle are my 4 tracks that I win BTO with pretty much every horse I take there. It's usually £30-£50 here. I make a point of not plaiting up at Hexham as the 2 BTIO's I got there were - drum roll please! - A Hexham Racecourse T-Shirt in size XXL and a crate of John Smiths Extra Smooth with a week to go on the use by date! So needless to say I don't bother with there very much anymore! I did get a snazzy toy tractor at Sedgefield the other day though :D

Visit site
I know he has white bands in BUT Carlisle seem to like them for some reason! So It kinda makes making him look like an eejit worth while for the money! That BTO was a good one! £100 presented to me by Shane from Boyzone :D

ProseccoCarlisleBTO.jpg

This is the Hocamaffes tail halfway through pulling.

Fujipics.jpg

Devonshire dumpling

Visit site
awww... thanks!! :D

it's very easy to do really, and when he's got a bog brush made of wire wool, it's a heck of a lot easier than washing it after hunting! K9h taught me, via PM'd description, how to do it and I've never looked back!

I can do his mane and tail (all stitched) in about half an hour now.

I can do a fairly decent plait on the tail and mane, but can't sew them for the life of me!!!! Why can't i sew them???? and not too sure how to finish up the whole tail and roll it up like that, can you pass on your wisdom? Doesn't seem to work right with the old plaiting bands!

JenHunt

Visit site
dead easy DD....

plait your tail as normal to about 2/3 or 3/4 of the way down the dock, then start adding bigger pieces of the tail in until, by the time you get to the bottom of the dock you are plaiting it all. Once you get to the end of the tail, put 2 bands in it so that it is nice and secure.

Next, take enough thread to stretch your arm width. Seriously! Then tie a loop in one end, put the needle about 1/4 of the length in from the other end. Push the needle through the end of the tail, just above the band, then through the loop, pull tight, wrap around a couple of times keeping it tight. Then fold the tail up to the top of the dock, or as far as it goes, and start feeding the needle around the back of the plait (the bit nearest the dock) , then through the plait, and round and downwards going behind one bit and through the next until you get to the rounded end of the tail/dock, then either work your way back up or tie the thread off, round to one side so that it can't be seen and trim it.

as for stitching normal plaits... I plait and band the end as normal, then put the thread though the banded bit to hold it, wrap it round once or twice and feed it back through the plait, then fold the plait in half (fold under not over), put the needle through, just above the crest, pull snug, fold the remaining plait in half, pass the thread around the plait and through it from your side, round the other side and through again (like a figure of 8). do this a couple of times then trim the thread off and it should all stay put!

Devonshire dumpling

Visit site
dead easy DD....

plait your tail as normal to about 2/3 or 3/4 of the way down the dock, then start adding bigger pieces of the tail in until, by the time you get to the bottom of the dock you are plaiting it all. Once you get to the end of the tail, put 2 bands in it so that it is nice and secure.

Next, take enough thread to stretch your arm width. Seriously! Then tie a loop in one end, put the needle about 1/4 of the length in from the other end. Push the needle through the end of the tail, just above the band, then through the loop, pull tight, wrap around a couple of times keeping it tight. Then fold the tail up to the top of the dock, or as far as it goes, and start feeding the needle around the back of the plait (the bit nearest the dock) , then through the plait, and round and downwards going behind one bit and through the next until you get to the rounded end of the tail/dock, then either work your way back up or tie the thread off, round to one side so that it can't be seen and trim it.

as for stitching normal plaits... I plait and band the end as normal, then put the thread though the banded bit to hold it, wrap it round once or twice and feed it back through the plait, then fold the plait in half (fold under not over), put the needle through, just above the crest, pull snug, fold the remaining plait in half, pass the thread around the plait and through it from your side, round the other side and through again (like a figure of 8). do this a couple of times then trim the thread off and it should all stay put!

Thankyou, I shall practice!! xx

MileyMouse

Visit site
i taught myself to do it (with the plait on the underside) and then eventually worked out how to do it the other way. It took (i think) about 2 months to get my first BTO from the first attempt! Took a little while longer to get consistently good though! I can do a full horse - mane and tail- in about 15-20minutes now!

Apparently traditionally this is a plait for geldings and the underside plait is for a mare? I was told by someone but no-one else ever sems to have heard this so not sure if it has any trith to it or not.....
as Enfys said, you take the hair to the underside of the plait rather than over the top. Its not hard to do but if you can already do the mares plait its confusing to re-learn it! You do have to hold your fingers differently.

Would love to learn how to do it the 'cuppatea' way - don't suppose you have a video of you plaiting the tail so we can see how its done?!

TicTac

Visit site
Would love to learn how to do it the 'cuppatea' way - don't suppose you have a video of you plaiting the tail so we can see how its done?!

Me tooooooooooo. Can't say as I've seen a nicer plaited tail in all my life! My fingers are too stiff now to plait nicely and my gelding has a tail like chimney brush.

Cuppatea, I think you could earn yourself a bit of pocket money from all us HHO's! Where abouts are you? lol

Kenzo

Visit site
I use a thinning rake down the sides, little down the middle, pull a bit with my fingers and finish with a pair of scissors down the side and bang the bottom, finish with gel, looks neat enough but you have to keep up with it otherwise it grows back like a bog brush.

Cuppatea

www.facebook.com
no, i dont.....hmmmmmm, maybe i should bring out a dvd, make some dollar!!
coud market my own bands, tail badages, hairspray......
the bands could come in various colours, assam, darjeeling, ceylon, lapsang souchong.....
Think im getting a litle carried away, yes?!!!

Me tooooooooooo. Can't say as I've seen a nicer plaited tail in all my life! My fingers are too stiff now to plait nicely and my gelding has a tail like chimney brush.

Cuppatea, I think you could earn yourself a bit of pocket money from all us HHO's! Where abouts are you? lol

thanks tictac! I am in the far beyond of Wales so i may have to do 'tours' round the country in show season methinks!! Though i will have to leave whisp&willow till last if she really is going to take me to the Talisker distillery.......
c020.gif

whisp&willow

Visit site
no, i dont.....hmmmmmm, maybe i should bring out a dvd, make some dollar!!
coud market my own bands, tail badages, hairspray......
the bands could come in various colours, assam, darjeeling, ceylon, lapsang souchong.....
Think im getting a litle carried away, yes?!!!

thanks tictac! I am in the far beyond of Wales so i may have to do 'tours' round the country in show season methinks!! Though i will have to leave whisp&willow till last if she really is going to take me to the Talisker distillery.......
c020.gif

I'll even be designated driver... cant stand the old uisge bethe!! ha ha!! as long as your tour brings you up here in time for the black isle show...! ha ha!

Jackson: thats well funky with the black and white! ;)

Visit site
I plait mine but if your horse rubs its tail then i'd pull it cus it makes it look better unless you want more tail there for when it does rub and when you plait you can either plait under or other the top ;)