Talisker RIP

CAYLA

Visit site
Huge (((((hugs))))). I got such a shock when I saw this post
frown.gif
, u did what was best for your boy hun, and u gave him the best life and where the best mummy a greyhound could wish for, I would have done the same. xxx
R.I.P little man.

Stinkbomb

goldenoakmochachino.blogspot.com
I was dreading opening this forum tonight but had to see how he did and was very sorry that he didnt make it
frown.gif
frown.gif
So sorry Acolyte, you gave him the best chance to live you could possibly have done and now you have given him the best chance of a pain free life in the stars . RIP Talisker xxxx

Goya

Visit site
I am so sorry to hear your news but be certain you have made the right decision for Talisker.
Remember all the happy days and the fun you had together.
Lots of hugs.

Lottie7

Visit site
I'm so so sorry. I know you loved him dearly and did everything you could for him.

You have made a very brave decision and you must have no doubts about that.

Big hugs to you at this awful time.

x

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I am so sorry, I had really hoped you might have him for a little longer, but think you did absolutely the right thing for him. Particularly hard when they are so precious but we owe them that final show of love. I have a picture of my old GSD as wallpaper on my phone, it is over 2 years since I lost her and it still gives me comfort. Nothing else I can say, I feel so much for you. x

GinaB

Visit site
I am so, so sorry this has been the outcome
frown.gif
And of course no-one is going to think any less of you, you did what is best for Talisker and you were so brave in making the decision. I just wish I could give you a big hug right now. I am honestly broken hearted for you
frown.gif

RIP Talisker, sleep well xxx

_Acolyte_

Visit site
Oh dear, I was doing quite well this morning until I read all your lovely comments - now here I am sat at my desk blubbing again, thank goodness I am in the office on my own at the moment.

Thank you all so very much, as I said last night your support really really helps me at such a difficult time. I have so many happy memories of Talisker, and I suppose the only good thing about his illness being short is that I dont remember him as ill - I remember him lolloping after me across the field on a walk, or trying to destroy a football he found in the garden when we moved in, or curled up asleep in his bed next to the radiator.

Oddly enough I dont have any wish at the moment to get another dog to replace Talisker, although when I lost Jura I knew I wanted another one almost straight away. So I hope Islay will be OK for a while as an only dog, and I will just spend some time getting to know her properly

Bossdog

Visit site
Oh god, I'm so so sorry,
frown.gif
I was so looking forward to logging on and seeing how he was.... you absolutley did the best thing, you gave him every chance and a wonderful life, you are the best kind of dog owner, one who knows when enough is enough and won't let him suffer.

So sorry again, ((((((hugs))))))

mattilda

Visit site
Acolyte you can never replace him but I can only tell you how I felt when I lost my beloved Holly very suddenly. I found her in the garden and we never knew why she died but presumed a heartattack or similar. I was devastated but we just happened to end up with a 6 month old rottie bitch 2 days later. I will never forget Holly and still grieved for her but Sage helped both me, hubby and Matty our other dog enormously. She is such a live wire we had to smile at her antics. My thoughts are with you and Islay. J XX

Lucy_Nottingham

Visit site
Im sorry acolyte!!!
It can't have been easy, the decision never is, but it sounds like you tried your best, thought it through and came to the best decision for him!!

(((big hugs))) for talisker and (((((((really big hugs))))))) for you!!!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Having had to make the same decision on one of my cats in the summer - for similar reasons - you have my total sympathy and support.

RIP Talisker.

_Acolyte_

Visit site
Thank you again everyone. I am having another very unproductive day at work again, all I can do is sit and think about Tal
frown.gif
It sounds very strange but I cannot believe he wont be at home for me when I get home
crazy.gif

He really was a funny little dog, he had obviously been treated really badly before he was rescued and he took a long time to trust us. He was claustrophobic to the end of his days, and when we first got him he was so terrified of people touching his feet that he needed a general anaesthetic to have his claws cut. But because of that he was also incredibly rewarding to own - once he had settled into a routine he was very very happy, and in his later years he was even OK about going out and visiting
smile.gif
He was definitely a 'people dog' not a 'dog dog' - I would love another like him in the future, but of course no dog will ever be the same as him, he was very special
smile.gif

Ravenwood

Visit site
I am so very sorry you lost him.

I absolutely think you have done the right thing for him though, as I said in my previous post.

I can't stand to see people drag out their animals life to the very bitter end just because its medically possible to do so.

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
I really recognise myself, when you say that though you felt one way when Jura died, you feel different now when Talisker have died. Because for me, it's been different for every pet I've lost, sometimes I've started looking for the next one more or less immediately, sometimes it's been months.

But when I lost my last Buhund in January, and I took her body from the car and into the house, so the cats and Jonna would be allowed to see that she was dead, for the first time I had the thought that it hurt to much and that I would never, ever buy a new pet. I would just have the ones I had, and when they died, it would be the end of my life as a pet owner.
That feeling/thought came as an surprise for me, because the earlier times I've always been convinced I would get a new one, it was just a matter about when. Luckily for me the thought went as fast as it came, and I just made the decision when I felt ready for it, as I've done before.

But to be honest, that's a truth with modifications, it wasn't quite that fast. For instance, for a day or two I was pretty convinced that IF I ever bought a new pet it would need to be a turtle that could live for 80 to 120 years, and where for life really means for life. But then came the problem that I was 33 years old, so with a turtle it could mean for life and beyond...

I had tears in my eyes while trying to read your post and looking at your pictures of Talisker yesterday. I hope I don't offend or hurt your feelings by saying, that today it feels both sad and wonderful reading about how you remember him, it sounds like such beautiful memories.

So much more mature than me, had I been a member on here a certain day in January, you would all have been able to read me saying, like a 2 year old without her favourite teddy bear, "I don't want memories, I want my dog!!", complete with foot tamping in the floor and everything.

Again, my sincere condolences and lots of hugs to you, and if you feel for talking about him or anything else with a childish 34-year-old, feel free to PM me, from Sweden.

Oneofthepack

Visit site
OMG only just seen your post....I'm so so sorry. It's the most unselfish thing you can do for an elderly dog, to let him go in peace when the best years of his life are over even though you want to keep him forever. God bless you and Tal xx

_Acolyte_

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I had tears in my eyes while trying to read your post and looking at your pictures of Talisker yesterday. I hope I don't offend or hurt your feelings by saying, that today it feels both sad and wonderful reading about how you remember him, it sounds like such beautiful memories.

So much more mature than me, had I been a member on here a certain day in January, you would all have been able to read me saying, like a 2 year old without her favourite teddy bear, "I don't want memories, I want my dog!!", complete with foot tamping in the floor and everything.

[/ QUOTE ]

FL you dont know how much I want to stamp my feet at the moment, and beg for him to be given back to me
frown.gif
It has crossed my mind a dozen times or more today 'did I do the right thing' but then I think of Talisker being distressed, in pain or discomfort, and constantly to-and-fro the vets (which he hated) and I know I did the right thing
crazy.gif
I am lucky that I have got lovely memories of his five years with me
smile.gif

And thank you OOTP and Ravenwood. When I first rang the vets last night to tell them my decision, the vet who answered the phone was not the one who had been treating him and she sounded absolutely shocked when I first told her what I wanted. But she was also the one who, when we had talked it through and I had explained my reasoning, said that she would have done the same thing in my place if Tal had been her dog. I am glad he is at peace now

bunter

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Following my conversation with my vet tonight following Talisker's operation today, I have just been to the surgery and he has been PTS.

The vet and I agreed that it was the right thing to do - even if the biopsies had come back negative, the likelihood of him making a good recovery from such bad IBS was very slim. I just didnt want him to suffer, he was an elderly dog and I just didnt feel it was fair.

I hope you dont think less of me for this decision, it was one I made for Talisker's sake not for mine, and it was a very very hard decision to make. I loved him so much.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm so sorry for your loss
frown.gif
. I certainly don't think any less of you - quite the opposite. It the last act of love we can give our dogs.

Run free Talisker.

Take care.

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
smile.gif
So good to hear I'm not the only one with an urge to stamp feet. Hate the reason for it!, but it's always nice to hear I'm not alone.
I guess, you're like me then, I didn't want Humla back with a tumour growing from her heart and pressing on her trachea, I wanted more days together with her being healthy.

Truth is Humla could have lived one, two weeks, maybe more maybe less, but the tumour was growing in such way that she probably would have felt like it choked her. I knew I had done the right thing even when I wanted to stamp my feet, but I still had doubts, in my case it was thoughts in the line of "If we had found it earlier, could they've done something?"
Humla loved life, everybody and everything
smile.gif
and mostly I'm very, very grateful for my memories, and the times when it starts to "twitch in my feet" are now rare...

005.GIF
from Sweden.

icestationzebra

Visit site
Oh no!
blush.gif
You poor thing! Anyone who takes the brave and unselfish decision to put an animal out of their suffering has done the right thing in my book.
What a lovely boy he was, how very sad for you
crazy.gif

_Acolyte_

Visit site
Thank you all for your lovely comments. It will sound terribly melodramatic I know, but I miss Tal so much it is like a physical ache - I thought losing Jura was bad, but I had time to become reconciled to the fact I was going to lose her. With Tal it was just so sudden
frown.gif

Islay is getting lots of hugs and attention but she is really a dog who likes other dogs, whereas Tal was a dog who liked people - I miss having a dog to cuddle in the evenings
frown.gif

Tia

Visit site
Well if it makes you feel any better, I just uploaded a couple of photos of my old girl who was put to sleep last year and I feel like I am drowing in tears
frown.gif
. You're not being melodramatic, you are hurting and very very sad.
frown.gif

Tia xx