Talk me down - thinking of buying a second horse

wingedhorse99

Visit site
I have two horses. I got second on loan whilst first was having 6 months field rest. I have ended up with two horses, in full work, both competing, both expensive.
Original horse is very high maintenance, 18, and semi retired, ish but needs a lot of work and support to stay sound (but wont retire). Mixture of arthiritic and weak sacroiliac.

I’ve since been through soundness issues and other medical with second horse. Recently first horse has had a nightmare 6 week long abscess that ended up bursting in three places.

One horse in full work is expensive, two horses is a huge commitment in time, effort and expense. When it goes well it’s great, and I wouldn’t sell either. But it is lifestyle choice to work full time, have two horses on assisted DIY and have both horses in work and competing.
I’m not planning to sell but I’m not sure my marriage would survive me replacing either of my current horses, to have 2 again! Nor my finances.

Annagain

Visit site
I was in a similar situation 8 years ago. My horse was a darling to hack, but very stressy to do flat work with and was incredibly prone to putting in a very 'dirty' stop when jumping. Taking him to a show would result in a very stressed, nappy unhappy horse. Then he went seriously lame. Long story short, he's never jumped properly again, just the odd log out hacking.

Although I didn't know much about his history I don't think he had a great start in life and had been passed around a lot. It had taken him so long to settle with me I couldn't bear to put him through that again so I decided I had to keep him. Not hard as I adore him! The vet said he could jump again as long as they were small but it would shorten his career. However, I know I can't ride him as strongly as I need to to a jump, knowing it might be hurting him.

I was incredibly lucky in that as all this was going on, my best friend was having babies so I started sharing her star of a horse for competing. 8 years on both horses are 20 but both are going strong and we're both still very happy with the arrangement. It helps that they're in stables next door to each other. If you can't buy a 2nd and a sharer isn't the answer for your horse, could you look for a share in a more suitable horse?

Funnily enough I ended up taking mine to a clinic yesterday as my share horse was slightly off with a touch of thrush. It was his first outing (other than to the beach which he loves) for a year and the first time he's been anywhere on his own for 8 years. He loaded, travelled, stood on the trailer like the pro he should be at 20 (all problems in the past) and only had one mini-nap when he thought he was going in the school on his own. As soon as the horse we were sharing our lesson with arrived he was fine. He then worked beautifully (for him!) for the whole 45 minute lesson. I couldn't have been prouder of him. I'm sure it's because he's no longer in pain.

Tash88

Visit site
A free call out is likely enough not to include gastroscopes and lameness workups. In fact you will probably be wasting your money on getting vet to come and poke and prod him and say we need to get him in to the surgery for a proper workup

I have never known my vets to request a horse goes to the surgery for a lameness workup; I think what they could do at the yard would be sufficient for an initial assessment. I'm happy to pay callout but was wondering more whether it would be too much all in one go.

Tash88

Visit site
I would definitely scope, the company that makes gastrogard sometimes offers it for free, I got mine done this way. I wish I had done it years ago!!!

Does your boy ever put his ears back when you school him? Also discomfort on a surface but fine on hard ground can be feet or a soft tissue problem. Although it sounds like he is sound, I would personally have a workup done before committing to a new horse, just for peace of mind. If he's insured just get everything checked, but try and claim for something specific (eg. gut issues or sight issues) , my claim was under 'unidentified discomfort' and so a lot of things are excluded because of it.

How is he to compete? Nappy? Again, mine is more normal if he goes out a lot.

Sorry if this sounds stupid but what exactly do they do when they scope a horse? I've never seen it done before but I know it's a tube into the stomach through the nose; can they do this at the yard under sedation?

He doesn't put his ears back when schooling very often at all, at least not in a 'get off my back' kind of way. His naughty behaviour comes out of nowhere and is very quick. He can be working beautifully then it all falls apart, however the situation has been greatly improved by working on his general forwardness.

I haven't competed in ages due to the problems we have been having at home. He is worse when out but absolutely fine to hack to different places and be the horse in front. He is a little claustrophobic in the school if anything.