Talk me out of wanting to put my mare in foal, please

Tia

Visit site
I looked at the photo of your mare and yes she is stunning and sleek and very good looking for a 19 year old ... but ... she is still a 19 year old ... and as the breeding season for this year is pretty much done with, she will be a 20 year old when you put her in foal next Spring ... and she will be 21 when she foals. Is that good enough? I think she is too old, sorry.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately thats not always the case often mares that have a foal at a young age and then try again when they are much older are the most difficult to get in foal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep - I had a mother and daughter come to stud last year. Mother was 17, the daughter was 10 and was the old mare's most recent foal - and a maiden. 10 year old maiden got in second attempt - twin successfully pinched. The 17 year old had already had 3 unsuccessful cycles at another stud and been sold to my client as a result. It took three attempts and a lot of attention to get her in foal!

The good news was that they both had healthy fillies!
grin.gif
But it wasn't cheap!

maestro

www.westonstud.co.uk
It is one of the main discussions I have with my vet is the fertility % in sports mares, as most the mares that come to us are middle aged ex eventers and by far the hardest are those that had a foal at a young age. I must confess when I started breeding 20 years ago I bred from mares before competing thinking it showed their fertility- I now know that is only a small part of the picture.