Talk me out of wanting to put my mare in foal, please

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
I have a 19yr old TB mare, had one (nice) foal when she was 4yrs old, without trouble, was ridden from 5yrs to 17yrs, and then has been off for a couple of years due to my work commitments.
I am now bringing her back into work, but keep having urges to put her in foal.
Please dissuade me.
grin.gif

S
smile.gif

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
She's too old, you're in for a world of pain and expense.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's better...Boss was doing ok til she said 'cute', even negatively.
At what age is a mare too old?
S
smile.gif

alleycat

Visit site
Foalie probably WILL be cute and that might seriously weaken your commitment to the Dark Side.

Whats her pedigree, then, so that we can say rude & discouraging things about her ancestors?

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Foalie probably WILL be cute and that might seriously weaken your commitment to the Dark Side.

Whats her pedigree, then, so that we can say rude & discouraging things about her ancestors?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, abusing her pedigree shows scope.
smile.gif
She is by Another Hoarwithy
crazy.gif
out of a Meldrum mare....but is now so old that nobody probably even remembers who they were!
grin.gif

S
grin.gif

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I think at 19 she's a bit on the old side - especially as she hasn't been bred reguarly plus think how skint you'll be having to support a veteran mare and a possibly average foal.

Sorry Shils......

[/ QUOTE ]

I do have three already, so have embraced 'skint' as a way of life
grin.gif

S
smile.gif

Three

Visit site
It's a LOT of money with no guarantee of a live foal, live mare or both.
frown.gif

My mare went to term with her first foal, all seemed well all the way through but it was still born.
Second foal is now a yearling.
This year we've had 5 attempts so far with still no foal.

My vets love me - I'm keeping the practice solvent.

(How am I doing??
cool.gif
)

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
Tills had her first foal at 19...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah - it can happen. BUT - I have a now 19 year old TB who was a regular breeder until last year when we gave up after 5 tries. This year we started again - washout, Caslick's - the lot. She showed very little follicular activity in or between seasons and despite best efforts (and a £500 vet's bill) we have now given up and retired her. 19 IS old for a TB. By comparison my 18 year old RID got in foal first time around (as always!)

htobago

Visit site
Well, just to be really unhelpful, we had a 20yo mare to my boy last year - got in foal no trouble at the first attempt with chilled semen. Had a fabulous colt. Very cute!

Oh, and Another Hoarwithy was a very well-known and super sire! So we can't rubbish your mare's bloodlines!

I'm being no help at all, am I?
tongue.gif

the watcher

Visit site
Seriously, what do you want to produce?

That would be the starting point for me, and given her age I would want to be looking at smaller or lighter stallions - would that suit you?

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Foals bite and kick and hurt. Sometimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

shocked.gif
Not mine. I don't allow it.
And as I said I have embraced 'skint' as a way of life.
Good try at dissuasion, though
wink.gif

S
grin.gif

kanter

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
crazy.gif
out of a Meldrum mare....

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's a colt you'll feel compelled to call it Victor Meldrum..

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
crazy.gif
out of a Meldrum mare....

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's a colt you'll feel compelled to call it Victor Meldrum..

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif

You are meant to be dissuading me, not making me laugh!
S
smile.gif

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Well, I love Another Hoarwithy, cracking sorts usually by him so I won't be much help!
They cost lots, make you lose your hair and wear charity shop throwouts, you'll never have any time for yourself and they will always hurt you - but hopefully, only in the pocket.
On the plus side, they give you a massive sense of achievement and loads of love - if it all goes right.
Are you prepared for if, God forbid, it doesn't go right and you lose not only your foal but your mare too?

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
I am thinking, that if she is not meant to have a foal, she won't take?
And I know any mare and foal can die...the risks being higher the older the mare.
I had heard that Another Hoarwithy stock had a reputation for being challenging rides? But don't know many...just mine.
S
grin.gif

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
If you want to put her in foal, then do it! Our mare had her first at 18, she was covered naturally over a three day period, and she took, carried and foaled no problem at all.

And you almost have a duty to carry on the Another Hoarwithy line!

Be realistic about her chances of getting in foal, as you've said she either will or won't, as long as you're cool with that then no harm done.

delphipuppy

www.treliverstud.co.uk
Some mares of that age can get in foal but I think the biggest issue is what it will do to you.
1) You will be even more broke than you are now
ooo.gif

2) you will spend the last 3 months staring stupidly at her stomach waiting to see the foal move
smirk.gif

3) For at least two weeks you will be up every night all night waiting for her to foal down, this will turn you into a grumpy zombie
mad.gif

4) Foal has arrived and you now behave like a besotted idiot, boring the pants off everyone with endless tales of how foal fell over scratching it's nose and similar stories
5) Yours phone will be overloaded with images which you have to show to everyone!
6) You will never get any work done or have a social life as you will be in the field watching wonder foal eat, sleep and drink, whilst making stupid ahhhing noises.
7) worst of all you'll start calling yourself a grandmother
laugh.gif

Hope this helps to put you off!
grin.gif

charliesarmy

Visit site
Oh my god (Ken) I feel like a BAD owner now putting my 20 year old in foal it isn't her first (had one at 5)... but she's still 20 she caught 2nd AI attempt surely if she was too old it wouldn't have happened!!! but in fairness this horse was competing XC.HT.WH.SJ till she went to stud and I do beleive somebody should tell her how old she is cos she can be a tad CRAZY..please somebdy tell me I'm not a bad person!!!