talk to me about gun dogs (any breed)

Parrotperson

Visit site
Now I'm retired I have an itch that won't go away.

I'd like to (maybe) get a gun dog breed and train. I'm lucky enough to live near a good gun dog trainer so that would be my route.

BUT what breed? Lab, spaniel?

Thoughts please but treat me kindly. And honestly.

And I will eventually be getting terrier because I just can't live without one!

druid

Visit site
What does the trainer near you work and compete? Always a good place to start

Do you like supreme control or edge of your seat levels? Are you interested in shooting over your own dog? Do you want to trial, run tests or work on a shoot or all of the above? Are you competitive?

Parrotperson

Visit site
thanks druid. Yes they tran and compete. I'd like good control. Not bothered ab out going on a shoot (although wouldn't rule it out either) but trials would be more my thing. I'm reasonably competitive (for that read I like to win!).

SAujla

Visit site
I only recommend a Lab if you are comfortable with fur. Everywhere. Never ending.

I quickly gave up trying to keep cleaning it up and just accepted it ?. Although my dog looks quite bare now she's lost her winter coat.

Can't really help with OP question as I have a show Lab and if you go down the Lab route it would be a working one? Plenty of working litters on champdogs right now.

druid

Visit site
thanks druid. Yes they tran and compete. I'd like good control. Not bothered ab out going on a shoot (although wouldn't rule it out either) but trials would be more my thing. I'm reasonably competitive (for that read I like to win!).

What breed does the trainer have?

If you want to trial and not go to shoots/shoot over the dog go for a retrieving breed. Spaniels need more time on game to polish than a Labrador/GR/minor breed retriever. Access to good gamey ground and shooting over spaniels is the making of them. Trial levels of polish for a retriever can be achieved on 90% dummy/cold game work and some well selected game training days.

Trialing is very competitive, assume you will be driving hundreds of miles to get runs (stakes limited in numbers of runners), you will need to join many clubs as club members get preference and being put out on your first retrieve after a 4 hour drive makes for a very long sulky drive home ime! For me the highs out weigh the lows and I'd liken it to Eventing - from the outside it's hard to understand why anyone would spend so much money to get wet, muddy and broke for a bit of frilly ribbon but those who do it are hooked!

Parrotperson

Visit site
Thanks all. The trainer has Springers. But she has trained labs as well in the past.

my first thought was working cocker as I think they’re grand little dogs.

much to think on…..

druid

Visit site
Thanks all. The trainer has Springers. But she has trained labs as well in the past.

my first thought was working cocker as I think they’re grand little dogs.

much to think on…..

If you're looking to trial a cocker is not the ideal place to start (in my opinion) - they can be more finicky/sensitive to train and need more "keeping on top of" than a Springer. I breed Springers and trial, love them and am happy to answer questions.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Re hair, I have dust bunnies/hair all over the place thanks to 2 springers. I have to use the wet hand technique before leaving for work every morning.

I think what you get is dependent on how far you want to go with the dog. Working cockers can be nuttier than the other breeds mentioned, but it all depends on lines. My working bred were far calmer than my current pet bred, much easier to train! Clodagh might have some opinions on this thread!

druid

Visit site
They are trainable they just don't take kindly to pressure, real or perceived. They're lovely little dogs but wildly overbred currently with "working" litters whose parents have never flushed more than a blackbird going for upwards of 2k.

L&M

Visit site
We have a 7 mnth old working cocker that my partner is currently training - as a 'pet' and with our two dogs, she is very energetic and a little bonkers. However as a soon as she goes into 'working' mode she is very trainable and steady.......

My only complaint is that she is a complete mud magnet and spend my life running after her with a mop!!!!!

Spotherisk

Visit site
We have labs, a working cocker and have had springers. OH works them but not trials. The labs are super easy but overly sensitive, the cocker and previous springers have been hard as nails! Come to think of it, the cocker (dog) is hard as nails and ignorant… very loving little dog though.

If I was choosing I would go lab bitch, biddable and fast but doesn’t do a five mile lap of the neighbourhood at warp speed when let out as the cocker does!

mother lab in front and daughter behind, absolute miracle to get them all sitting at the same time!EDF7AB2C-D128-4025-A9DF-64AF83079776.jpeg

GSD Woman

Visit site
If you hadn't said spaniel I would have suggested a standard poodle. They are becoming more common at hunt tests over here. There is a trainer ~100 miles away who is now training a mini.

Parrotperson

Visit site
We have labs, a working cocker and have had springers. OH works them but not trials. The labs are super easy but overly sensitive, the cocker and previous springers have been hard as nails! Come to think of it, the cocker (dog) is hard as nails and ignorant… very loving little dog though.

If I was choosing I would go lab bitch, biddable and fast but doesn’t do a five mile lap of the neighbourhood at warp speed when let out as the cocker does!

mother lab in front and daughter behind, absolute miracle to get them all sitting at the same time!View attachment 74614

that's a lovely photo well done for getting it! Yes I'd thought lab? Who is that refusing to pose for the pic? ??

Parrotperson

Visit site
If you hadn't said spaniel I would have suggested a standard poodle. They are becoming more common at hunt tests over here. There is a trainer ~100 miles away who is now training a mini.
Sorry GSD woman where are you?

I was looking yesterday at various different breeds and this fleetingly crossed my mind (along with a duck trolling retriever!)

Muddy unicorn

Visit site
We have a Toller and he’s so quick at learning things - he’s like a sponge! We did gundog training for a while (never competed) but compared to the labs he was like a coiled spring when he was waiting for his turn and you definitely need a sense of humour at times as Tollers often find their own way of doing things which might not be exactly what you wanted…

Parrotperson

Visit site
Thanks Muddy unicorn. noted.

I definitely have the time for all this now as retired (hurrah!) and am lucky enough to have moved to rural ish Northumberland near the beach.

at the moment its just a "find out the info before committing " type thing. I'm not the sort not to do my research.

Oh and if there's a pic of said duck tolling retriever that would be nice!!

druid

Visit site
Goldies and Chesapeakes are worth a look - more expensive than a lab but can be competitive and have breed only stakes also. I love poodles but they're not eligible to compete over here.

There is a Game Fair at Ragley Hall on July 23-25. All breeds will be there, breed demos and spaniel and retriever tests. Would be a good place to go see them if you can manage it. I'm there with some Springers. Or Scone Game Fair might be (a touch!) closer later in the summer.

Attachments

• Skaerbluebell.jpg
    Skaerbluebell.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 11

Parrotperson

Visit site
Goldies and Chesapeakes are worth a look - more expensive than a lab but can be competitive and have breed only stakes also. I love poodles but they're not eligible to compete over here.

There is a Game Fair at Ragley Hall on July 23-25. All breeds will be there, breed demos and spaniel and retriever tests. Would be a good place to go see them if you can manage it. I'm there with some Springers. Or Scone Game Fair might be (a touch!) closer later in the summer.

lovely dog!

Clodagh

Visit site
I have to put my hand up for working labs. Incredibly active yet want to work with you. My one experience of failing miserably with a spaniel (not blaming the dog) was a breed that didn’t give a rats bum where you were or what you were doing.
My fault totally but I decided I like dogs that want to be with you and I don’t want to be training 24/7, I also like long walks with them mooching. Spaniels don’t mooch.
I don’t trial, mainly because I’m too lazy to put the work in ?. And I get enormous stage fright on any competitive scenario.
Mine are pets first and workers second. They are effective but not polished.