Talk to me about PRE horses......

Oberon

Visit site
Being a life long Arab fan - I have always thought PRE horses looked nice but were too bright for most owners and only for dressage.......

What can they do?

Do they come in dun?

What is the market like in the UK? - they always seem REALLY expensive....

Is it better to bring one over from Spain yourself?

StormyMoments

Visit site
they can actually be very good for jumping and endurance
they do come in dun
they are very expensive in the uk especially for pure breds
i have just bought an andalusian stallion from spain and i shipping him over - he was bought for 22,000euros as a 2 year old and im now buying him for less than a 3rd of that as an 8 year old and over here he will be worth more as he has no other lines in him and he is still a stallion so yes think importing is definatly the way to go :)

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Do come in dun colours yes afaik, mine at least started off a bit dun, now is more grey :mad:

Can do everything any other horse can tbh, some are good at jumping such as Novilhiero - a horse that John Whitaker had for a time, and some are good at dressage - all that practise avoiding bulls ;) I think they find collection easier than extension.

http://www.jpgiacomini.com/jpphotogallery.html#novilheiro-tribute

They are bright which is why they may not be suitable for everyone, learn things quickly, bad habits included!!

not that expensive, mine is half Luso and was under 3k, this lady in wales breeds and sells, she also gives amazing lessons on schoolmasters that I was lucky enough to have last week - amazing! I was doing half pass, flying changes and passage :D

http://www.lusitanocymru.co.uk/HTMLs/For_Sale.html

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
I LOVE talking about PREs... I could do it all day :):)

There are some lovely british bred ones, you don't have to go to spain and many here have the same bloodlines. The advantage is they are used to our weather and no don't need to put it (and yourself) through the stress of importation and rehabilitation once home :) and you can get a purebred here for £3k upwards. Saying that, some lovely imported examples I have seen too :) And there is ALOT more choice in Spain!!

www.bapsh.co.uk is where you will find links to all the UK studs for PRE's, partbreds, normans etc.

There are some fabulous colours being bred now and rare genes are being bred to produce creams, pearls, duns, grullos, chestnuts and bays not just the old standard of black and grey.

They are superb allrounders but get bad press on temperament. Also, look on facebook BAPSH group. You will see people doing all sorts with their spanish neds.

Last edited:

Andalusianlover1

Visit site
I have one of each, Arab and Andalusian.

I hate dressage and so dont really do it at all other than part of a ODE. My PRE is awesome at SJ and XC; has had the odd go at Open HT on occasions, going fast over fences is our forte!

He was imported from Spain as a four year old but I wouldnt necessarily go there to get one these days. British breeders are prodicing quality stock these days.

You can have problems with imported horses. Some of them their behaviour changes once the arrive in the UK. I used to know an importer and out of every 10 she selected for importation, at least 8 would fail vettings on their x-rays.

I also wouldnt import a "trained" horse from Spain either. Doing Piaffe, Passage and flying changes at4/5 years of age can really mess up their brains.

PRE do come in dun colour but you will pay double its value for the colour as its not common!

Hedwards

Visit site
I dont have them myself, but a friend does, and i have groomed and ridden them, and spent a lot of time reading about them!

They can turn their hoof to whatever you like on the whole, my friend focusses most of her attention on endurance, although does dressage, xc,sj,eventing,trec and has had success in all phases. They are bright horses, and they do require a certain amount of respect, however I have never felt 'over horsed' by them.

I have groomed at the annual BAPSH championship show with my friend, she entered dressage and showing competitions as well as the parade classes (which are mental!). on our way down to the show the two years we have been we stopped off on the way and did a 30k endurance ride!

I would recomend a visit to the BAPSH show next year if you're interested, or i think there is the PREGB show at the end of this month.

they come in a real array of colours and 'types' now, and I believe there is a big movement on breeding the colour (eg. its only since 2005 the stud book has recognised any colour other than black, bay or grey) Comico IV is a spectactular colour when you see him in the flesh! and Dun is becoming ever popular... although for me, nothing beats a big grey pre... (well other than Romero XXV a bay, who I think is the most wonderful horse i've ever had the pleasure to meet, in looks, character and attitude!)

I have found they are a bit of a one person horse, and can be wary of 'strangers' handling them. however once they get to know you, they are really lovely and incredibly loyal horses!

tallyho!

Visit site
By the way, I should say, only graded Andalusian/Spanish horses with graded PRE parents can be registered as PRE (Pura Raza Espanola). It's complicated.

Otherwise they are just Andalusian/Spanish horses. Do watch out as I see them advertised as PRE and some people buy them and realise they are not!

BackRidingAgain

Visit site
Well, I'm not too proud to admit to new knowledge and in case anyone else was wondering I looked up that acronym and came up with:

The Andalusian, also known as the Pure Spanish Horse or PRE (Pura Raza Española)

Crazydancer

Visit site
I used to own a PRE with my then OH. He was so easy, gentle, but did love learning things. He could be quite sensitive, (in a 'tuned into you' sort of way) but if you've been owned by an Arab then a PRE should be no problem. :D

Echo some of the others here, beware of buying an 'Andalusian' as it may not be a registered PRE. Be careful if looking at importing, many horses in Spain are kept entire, and stabled. Very different culture.

Duns and other colours are now valued, so expect a price premium.

They are able to turn a hoof to most things.

If you like Arabs, have you considered a Hispano-Arabe? It's a cross I've previously had a passing interest in, and have been looking into it more recently. Not many of them around, but I think the stud book is open to 1st gen crosses, pure Arab x PRE.

Goldenstar

Visit site
It was always a bit of a secret dream of mine to have one , so when I needed to buy a horse last time I did a bit of research on the quiet .
I found out lots of stuff some good the temperaments stunning looking good size for me lots around 16hh but also not so good issues with grazing handling the change from Spain or Portugal to here and the clincher for more than one person said they found there trots hard on their backs , this was my trainers big worry ( she and my back have been friends for years ) so I filed the dream and bought a TB instead whom I love I had always loved and he came available just at the right time I still look and wonder if should have gone for it.
But I was not even sure what I wanted to do with one !!! I fear i just wanted one because i like the look . I love reading the threads about them on here.

Amazona

Visit site

siennamum

Visit site
We have a lusoxarabxISH, which is a great mix. He is built like the proverbial and has a lovely submissive, trusting temperament.

He has lovely paces and was born to canter, really lovely long flowing mane and is a very pretty colour.

BUT he is a very odd shape and will cost a fortune to keep in saddles. As yet we haven't found a tree to fit him, fingers crossed for saddler due on saturday. He is so short in the back that some judges will hate him, he is unlikely to ever look loose and soft in the back and I wonder about the effect this will have on his rideability compared to a SH.

MagicMelon

Visit site
they can actually be very good for jumping and endurance
they do come in dun
they are very expensive in the uk especially for pure breds

Ditto. You could consider a Lusitano as well, as same Iberian type. Although both are expensive. How about a part bred? Ive got a super Luso x TB, been a wonderful eventer and showjumper. Id definately have another - Iberians seem to have really nice, willing attitudes. Its funny someone has mentioned about them being hard to fit saddles too as mine was, I ended up having to get a WOW made up for him as he's so short coupled he needed 16" panels, and no other 'normal' saddles fitted him at all!

Andalusianlover1

Visit site
BUT he is a very odd shape and will cost a fortune to keep in saddles. As yet we haven't found a tree to fit him, fingers crossed for saddler due on saturday. He is so short in the back that some judges will hate him, he is unlikely to ever look loose and soft in the back and I wonder about the effect this will have on his rideability compared to a SH.

I have an Arab and a PRE and the both wear what is now Strada saddles.

My Master Saddler buddy used to make them, she has a Luso and an Arab and they both wear what are now called Strada saddles.

I'm quite a hefty lump with at least a size 14 backside and both my saddles are 16 nd half inches.

I cant recomend them enough and wouldnt be without them.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
The stunt team that live over the hill from me have a few PRE's. They come in genuine dun - so you can have red dun etc... Grulla/grullo (depending on female/male horse) is another name for a black/blue dun.

I love them but a friend of mine hated riding them, but she was used to ISH types. If you love arabs then there's a good chance that you will suit PRE's too.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Oh, I could talk to you all day about PRE's.....they are wonderful, but not for everyone. As someone said, if you know/love an Arab you will probably be very happy with a Spanish or Portuguese horse. I have unfortunately been on the receiving end of some very messed up PRE's, the fallout from the WRONG people owning what they thought was going to be their "dream" horse. Bad dream, for the horses and the people. Anyone who tells you they have wonderful temperaments without qualifying it; as in "NOT a cob. It's a very reactive, sensitive horse who needs a confident, competent, brave rider", is leading you down the garden path I'm afraid. Oh, and they are WAAAY cheaper in Spain than in the UK, and lots of choice at the moment.

Starzaan

Visit site
My youngster's dam is a PRE, and I adore her. He has inherited her looks, brain and movement, and his father's colour and height (essentially, he's a 17.3hh skewbald PRE shaped creature to look at!).

Although he can be sensitive, he's incredibly genuine and kind, and tries his heart out. He learns faster than any other horse I've dealt with, and is a pleasure to be around.

I would definitely go on to buy a PRE now, having spent time with him and his dam.

Go for it!

Goldenstar

Visit site
Oh, I could talk to you all day about PRE's.....they are wonderful, but not for everyone. As someone said, if you know/love an Arab you will probably be very happy with a Spanish or Portuguese horse. I have unfortunately been on the receiving end of some very messed up PRE's, the fallout from the WRONG people owning what they thought was going to be their "dream" horse. Bad dream, for the horses and the people. Anyone who tells you they have wonderful temperaments without qualifying it; as in "NOT a cob. It's a very reactive, sensitive horse who needs a confident, competent, brave rider", is leading you down the garden path I'm afraid. Oh, and they are WAAAY cheaper in Spain than in the UK, and lots of choice at the moment.

Should not have read this as I have an empty stable I would love a trip to Spain.
The stable has been empty since January that Is a record for me.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Should not have read this as I have an empty stable I would love a trip to Spain.
The stable has been empty since January that Is a record for me.
Oh goody; I'll go with you! Seriously 'tho, think long and hard and get to know the breed really well before jumping in to the Spanish horse pool - I get so mad at people buying beautiful horses and messing them up due to overhorsing themselves and just not understanding the breed. I love my Spaniards!

siennamum

Visit site
I have an Arab and a PRE and the both wear what is now Strada saddles.

My Master Saddler buddy used to make them, she has a Luso and an Arab and they both wear what are now called Strada saddles.

I'm quite a hefty lump with at least a size 14 backside and both my saddles are 16 nd half inches.

I cant recomend them enough and wouldnt be without them.

I have a master saddler coming to see if an Ideal with an Iberian type tree will do the job. If your friend is still in the business could you forward their details to be as I'm in Bristol so may not be too far away.

tallyho!

Visit site
I suppose if importation goes up, this will push the prices of British Bred PREs down a bit. Then again, what is the point of breeding them here if you can buy them so cheaply in Spain?

Goldenstar

Visit site
Oh goody; I'll go with you! Seriously 'tho, think long and hard and get to know the breed really well before jumping in to the Spanish horse pool - I get so mad at people buying beautiful horses and messing them up due to overhorsing themselves and just not understanding the breed. I love my Spaniards!

Don't worry I'll not be over horsed !

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I suppose if importation goes up, this will push the prices of British Bred PREs down a bit. Then again, what is the point of breeding them here if you can buy them so cheaply in Spain?
Not much, which is why there is a now a SERIOUS oversupply of PRE horses in the UK, many of them either untrained or poorly trained. And still some very large prices; I can buy nice PRE's in Spain, properly/professionally ridden for 1/4 of the price in the UK. There are some problems: many Spanish horses cannot cope with our grass, tend to become obese (although this is the owner's remit, actually) and have a high incidence of allergic reactions, such as sweet itch.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Not much, which is why there is a now a SERIOUS oversupply of PRE horses in the UK, many of them either untrained or poorly trained. And still some very large prices; I can buy nice PRE's in Spain, properly/professionally ridden for 1/4 of the price in the UK. There are some problems: many Spanish horses cannot cope with our grass, tend to become obese (although this is the owner's remit, actually) and have a high incidence of allergic reactions, such as sweet itch.

So may I ask are the uk bred ones less likely to have issues with grazing and sweet itch.
And in Spain do the trained ones command huge prices what level are they normally at when they sell them this was the bit where my plan got a bit sticky and I got side tracked with the horse I bought whom I had been watching for eighteen months.

dressagecrazy

Visit site

I bought a very reasonably priced British bred PRE, however he was 3 1/2yo when i bought him it's not an age or type of Breed i would recommend buying at this age unless your competent.

I do find there temprements wonderful actually a lot better than many WB's ( i own 2 WB's so im not speaking out of turn).

My PRE is now 5yo & competing sucessfully at affilliated dressage he has a fantastic work ethic.
He is even acting as a schoolmaster for me to teach my mum on, i do think this particular boy is very special though as it's not something i would normally allow with a youngster.
He is very sensitive as are all PRE's, but i love that as he really makes me work on my seat & position. He's made me a better rider already.

Spanish Eyes

Visit site
I owned a TB, but had always fancied a PRE (probably because I loved "White Horses" TV show as a child, and am incredibly shallow and often go for looks;)). I did a lot of research, and was told by a PRE stud owner that if I was used to a TB I would probably find a PRE a lot easier.

I have ended up with two PRE mares. Both were born in Spain, then imported to the UK, but had several years to adjust before they came to me. Both were very reasonably priced (under 3K). Both have been a delight to own.

Perhaps I have been incredibly lucky, but both of my girls are absolutely fab. They are noble, intelligent, stunning to look at and have a fantastic work-ethic. I agree that they are probably one-person horses, which is why they may take some time to adjust to new owners and new surroundings, but both of mine try their socks off for me. One is so laid-back she's almost horizontal, and the other recovers very quickly from any "incident" as long as she can work out what "it" is.

But, I did have to work more on my riding because they are very sensitive, especially to weight and seat aids (ie they are very responsive). For me that has taken me on a fab journey, but I could see that for a nervous rider it could affect their confidence.

Another bonus for me was that they are both barefoot, and have rock-crunchingly excellent feet. They are also cheap to keep as they are generally good-doers, although keeping that mane and tail in good condition takes some work! I totally agree about the problems with rich British grass - mine are kept on quite sparse and rough grazing, and I've never had a problem.

And, was that stud owner right - are they easier than a TB? Well, tbh I guess it depends on the TB and the PRE in question. My TB is not hot or spooky, so I'd say she is on a par with my PREs - but the PREs are certainly more intelligent, learn more quickly (the bad as well as the good:rolleyes:), and have longer memories.

But, for me, having owned PREs, any other breed would be "just a horse". Oh, and they can turn their hooves to anything - sj, dressage, endurance etc.

My advice would be to do your research, and talk to as many PRE owners and breeders as you can.

Last edited:

Goldenstar

Visit site
Oh dear this has me thinking again .
The temperament thing is interesting because my understanding was they where clever and quick to learn my trainer on the other hand thought I would not find them senestive or sharp enough for my taste .( as well as the sitting thing)
These things are hard people can make desisions based on not having had experiance of many horses of that type and within a type or breed there will be a huge range of types.
I was most concerned if I went to Spain if the horse would struggle up north with the weather and the lifestyle .