Talk to me about stringhalt please

HeyMich

Visit site
Stringhalt. What is it and how does it affect horses?

We're on the lookout for a new ridden horse for my keen teenage son to do all PC type activities, including XC, SJ, ODEs, HTs, camp etc... I've seen an advert for a lovely horse for sale (not an ex racer this time) with mild stringhalt, sale price reduced accordingly. Is it workable? Is it a showstopper? Should we just scroll on by or look more closely at the horse?

What does the knowledgeable and sensible HHO massive think?

Roxylola

Visit site
The only horse I've known with it competed successfully in dressage and could pop a fence fine - he was in a dressage home so never jumped competitively just for fun. He was a bit quick when picking back feet out, he'd sort of snatch his foot up and hold it very high. There was a slight hitch in his walk but nothing massively noticeable. I wouldn't rule it out but if its noticeable it is going to affect dressage scores.

ihatework

Visit site
It’s a neurological condition that gives rise to an odd snatchy gait behind.

Often only in move off and low speed.

For activities such as dressage or showing you wouldn’t want to be buying it. But for hacking / jumping activities certainly worth exploring.

Things to bear in mind however are that some more orthopaedic conditions may initially present as a stringhalt type gait. So you would want a good vet assessment of the horse.

I have known a number of superb horses with stringhalt, mostly hunters or jumpers and it really hasn’t been an issue for that job.

I was also, I suspect, stung on a horse once. Looking back the sale was all a little suspicious. Passed 5 stage. Within a couple of weeks developed mild stringhalt, alongside general non specific niggles. I suspect I was done and the horse had been strategically injected to sell on.

If you are looking to insure also bear in mind it will likely have an impact. Unless you can clearly demonstrate no link I would plan not to have cover for any future hock/stifle/sacro/wobbler type scenarios

Annagain

Visit site
A friend's horse (TB, was in training but never raced. He was far too laid back so was pretty useless as a racehorse!) had it. It never affected him for what she wanted (hacking, fun rides and the odd small jump). It was only obvious with him coming back to walk from trot, he'd lift one back leg much higher in the first walk step. I wouldn't want to do dressage on a horse with any sort of stringhalt but the rest would depend on the severity and the cause.

stangs

Visit site
If you’re talking about the horse I think you are, then I know someone who viewed it - happy to ask their opinion if you want.

HeyMich

Visit site
Thanks folks.

Is it degenerative? Could we expect it to get worse as the horse gets older or does harder work, or is this as bad as it will ever be? Is it something you can scan/xray to show severity?

I feel like I know a fair amount about most common horsey conditions, but this is something I've (gladly) not had any direct experience of and feel a bit vulnerable to be honest. It's so difficult!

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Paul Tapners 5* horse had it. It was really noticeable in walk but did not impact him. Also know a hunter who had it. Beautiful horse would have been worth a lot of money without it.

Birker2020

Visit site
Thanks folks.

Is it degenerative? Could we expect it to get worse as the horse gets older or does harder work, or is this as bad as it will ever be? Is it something you can scan/xray to show severity?

I feel like I know a fair amount about most common horsey conditions, but this is something I've (gladly) not had any direct experience of and feel a bit vulnerable to be honest. It's so difficult!
deleted.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Like others, I have known and worked with horses with stringhalt. They worked & competed just fine (event horse and low level dressage horses x 2). Would I buy one? Depends on the horse, and what I need it to do.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I knew a lovely big horse who had it, hunter type but dont know the breeding-had been a pretty successful jumper before going to a leisure home. He really was a poppet-just a bit snatchy to do his back feet. I have a feeling he might have had sedalin to do his hind shoes but it was a while ago. Not much help to you but this horse really wasnt my type and I would have bought him but then I knew him.

Orangehorse

Visit site
My best ever horse had it, but I didn't keep him into old age so I don't know if it got worse with age. He was either 12 (me) or 15 (vet) when I sold him. One of those small TB pocket rocket types.

It was slightly noticeable when he came out of the stable in the morning and walking out but very quickly worked off. He could sometimes throw in an odd step. But he was my eventer and hunter. He was goood at showjumping too and was never lame or missed work the whole time I had him, but that was probably his size and type.

Don't buy if you want to do showing or go higher into dressage.

It depends how bad too, some snatch their leg at every step, with others it is hardly noticeable.

Last edited:

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I have hunted alongside one for several seasons. It was a great hunter.

HeyMich

Visit site
Thanks folk.

Most replies have been very positive, which I'm very pleased/surprised about! I'm just waiting for the flurry of negative replies along the lines of "mine was in so much pain/a walking vet bill/got PTS 6 months later...." If you do have one of those stories, please let me know before we get too excited about the lovely horse for sale...

And no, we're not into showing or high level dressage. Feeling a bit more optimistic after reading all the replies, thank you x

nagblagger

Visit site
Would the seller let you speak to her vets?
I personally would go and see it to assess the extent of how it affects the horse and to see if I got the 'I want this horse vibes' . If so, then discuss with stringhalt with my vet I trust with the pros and cons. Nothing lost for looking except time - but you could lose a decent horse for your budget.
Good luck and keep us updated with your decision.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Friend's horse has it. He's older now (mid 20's) and still gets around fine.
He's mostly retired due to the owner's life plans, not his condition.

He did lower level eventing for years and it never caused him any trouble.

Leandy

Visit site
I don't have direct experience although I have known a successful eventer and hunter with stringhalt. It meant a higher class horse was affordable for the owners. Your vet should be able to answer your queries about whether it is degenerative etc. I have a feeling that even if not technically degenerative itself, it can mean increased strain on the soft tissues, ligaments, tendons etc and that any such strains are harder to stabilise and heal, which can cause issues rather than the stringhalt itself per se. It would be worth asking your vet about any increased vulnerability to soft tissue injuries and, of course, check out the horses soundness record.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I had a very big X/Suffolk punch traditional cob type with it. It gradually showed up when he was about 3 to 4. My vet advised very slow and careful building up muscle in hand work before actually backing him. Which I did and he was a jolly useful horse, very successfully shown ridden and in hand, so obviously not picked up by the experts. Also a lovely hack and xc ride. But I would never jump him in a show ring or do stressage, not that I would have wanted to with his type but it would have been unwise and unfair I think to have expected that of him. It usually showed up more directly after a sharp turn at a fast pace, so I simply avoided that as much as possible.

I eventually retired him at only 14 but due to navicular nothing to do with the stringhalt on his back end. My farrier used to curse shoeing him, but managed over the years to establish a compromise on his backs that the horse would tolerate and the farrier could work with.

bonny

Visit site
From my experience which was a large Tb it didn’t affect him in any way apart from shoeing. I had a brilliant patient and strong farrier at the time who was prepared to still shoe him but I suspect a lot of other farriers wouldn’t. Might not be an issue with some horses and he was a big heavy Tb but it is something to check, my horse had to be shod with his hoof low down and he couldn’t hold it up for the usual length of time.

Melody Grey

Visit site
Disclaimer: I have no experience of stringhalt...but wondering whether;

-horse might need/benefit from more frequent physio? Might equate to higher running costs?
- can it be lessened by buting? Get bloods with your vetting if so?
- would the horse’s resale value be affected and is that reflected in the asking price?

Spottyappy

Visit site
I would speak to your farrier and the owners current one. It can be a slightly harder job to shoe, but with a patient kind farrier, there is no resin it needs to be a problem.

nagblagger

Visit site
Just asked Dr Google - stringhalt can be caused by weeds such as Dandelion have also been implicated. and some horses may recover spontaneously in cases of plant poisoning or intoxication, ... never knew this, just a thought!

Orangehorse

Visit site
Looking at my answer, I must stay that my horse had obvious stringhalt when he first came out of the stable every morning.

When I went to see him the vendors said nothing! But I said "Is that stringhalt?" as I watched him being ridden away. I knew the horse had hunted and it was one of those semi-professional yards where they hunted and point to point. I didn't know anything about the condition, but my vet wasn't too concerned about it as the horse had had a busy working life. It didn't take him very long to warm up and go normally for most of the time.

Jayzee

Visit site
On the showjumping yard there were 3 horses out of 20 which had string halt and they all jumped competitively up to 1.40. You would notice the 1st step they took from standing but after 2-5 steps would be normal. Most of them all moved nicely too. They were all between 6-13 years, I have no idea of longevity though.

Would be interesting to to see if there is research on long term effects and degeneration

moosea

Visit site
As far as I was aware string halt is a mechanical lameness rather than and pain related lameness?

If the horse is currently in work and doing its job ok then proceed with a vetting on the condition that vets records are released?

It is considered an unsoundness and should be declared when selling so would have an obvious impact on resale price as well as insurance so price should reflect this.

daffy44

Visit site
I knew a fabulous horse with mild stringhalt, you had to be patient to shoe him behind or put studs in, but he was a fabulous 4* eventer, dressage judges commented positively on his active hind legs which always amused us. He retired from eventing aged about 16 to be a wonderful hunter for his lady owner, hunted until his early twenties, retired sound and was eventually pts in his late twenties.