Talland - does it live up to the reputation?

HuskyFluff

Visit site
As above really - old horse has been out of action for a while and likely to remain so. So I need to start riding again. Wouldn't be after schoolmaster lessons, just normal ones. We're lucky to have quite a few RS around here, but was wondering if this really was one of the better ones and worth paying the extra.

ihatework

Visit site
I suppose it depends on your experience level, what you are used to and your expectations.

I’ve gone there on and off over the years to sit on a schoolmaster for something. In that time I’ve glanced at ongoing regular school lessons.

I think in comparison to a run of the mill riding school lesson elsewhere then the instruction is generally better. But if you are used to riding private horses then you might be disappointed.

If you are a private horse owner and have a reasonably level of understanding you would want at least a private 1:1 with a senior instructor I think, for it to be worth it.

From the lessons I’ve had on schoolmasters there I’ve on the whole got something out of it, some times are better than others.

Bernster

Visit site
Only one lesson so very limited. Wasn’t that impressed. Had a bored instructor barking at me from her chair and didn’t really get much out of it. Maybe I was too novicey and appreciate that it’s hard for a first time lesson. But I’ve had way better results with other ins the first time out.

they do have good horses though so worth a punt if they’re local.

Ossy2

Visit site
Um still in two minds about the place TBH, I’m not sure what it’s like for regular lessons but I went for a weekend of school master lessons, I was riding at medium dressage but wanted to try gain some experience of what it’s meant to feel like moving up to the next level but spent the entire time in a set of side reins with an instructor that appeared like she wanted to be elsewhere. I don’t think I’m that bad just never sat on a horse that already new their job at that level.

Muddywellies

Visit site
I've heard good and bad reports. I was there once and saw a couple of lessons. I was surprised that the instructors didn't really seem to get involved with the lesson. It's hard to explain, but they didn't seem to have their full attention on the pupil (one was eating their lunch at a table on the viewing gallery) whilst every so often shouting an instruction. I saw someone doing a gazillion flying changes but the basics were being totally overlooked. It was a bit frustrating to watch. My trainer (who herself is a GP rider) gets incredibly involved when training me and its quite funny watching videos of her teaching me as she pretty much rides every transition herself from the floor. She has her eye on me 100% of the time. Just not sure the pupils at Talland had their instructor's undivided attention. But saying that, Talland can't have got the reputation it's got by delivering poor lessons so maybe what I saw was just a one off.

Barlow

Visit site
if it is schoolmaster lessons you’re after, I would try a lesson at Talland and one at Summerhouse and see which one you prefer. I’ve heard positives and negatives about both from different people and prefer to make up my own mind.

Roxylola

Visit site
Facilities are fabulous. Staff are really pleasant. The instructors really know their stuff, in an ideal world I'd like to go for regular lessons there but it's a bit of a hike so I've had a couple of one offs. I presume because if their rep they get a lot of tourists like me for one offs, and while I can ride to the level I say I bet a lot cant.
I enjoyed my first lesson, the horse was a bit backward and stiff to start but I got quite a decent tune out of him by the end.
My second lesson I'd wanted to get a feel for schooling changes and some of the higher movements. They gave me a very sweet schoolmaster who knew his job but was a bit of a stiff old chap and obviously well used to putting up with people.
Now, I cant blame them these lessons were months apart so again no real knowledge of my ability and I did ride some half passes, and some changes but really only because the horse knew them, he was too stiff to sit on for the half pass and I really feel it's better sitting and he was so fab at changes I'd have struggled not to make him change. So yes I rode the movements but not schooling them.
So while I'd go back- I'd rather go with my own horse, or for like an intensive course for a week as I think I'd get more out of that personally.
If I was local I'd go there regularly for sure - worth it just for the facilities alone, everything else is bonus

teapot

Visit site
Depends what you're looking to take from it.

In my experience of working with a number of senior coaches, who have trained there or taken exams there, it really does divide opinion. I know it personally wouldn't suit me, but others love it.

humblepie

Visit site
I wasn’t overtly impressed when I went for a lunge lessons. Not particularly well organised left to find horse with vague instructions as to where to go and untack it after lesson which I felt a bit odd going into their tack room and finding where to put stuff. Lessons were fine but never felt welcome on the customer service front. Had a couple of school master lessons at Prestige which were much more organised and I found beneficial. Were my birthday present to me last year.

{97702}

Visit site
Adored it - I had a few lessons with Pammy, she was fantastic and amazing, totally ‘got’ novicey little me and my tricky TB and was helpful, informative and constructive without being remotely condescending or patronising (my absolute pet hates)

That was a while ago now mind you, Frodo Beutlin from the forum got me my first lesson as a 40th birthday present! ?

Teaboy

Visit site
I’ve had a few lessons with Pammy on my own horse, I found it very useful. She doesn’t beat around the bush, and has a good way of explaining what is wanted from the judges in the lateral work and changes, and simple exercises for the training of them. Was interesting to watch the other lessons going on as I went down for a lesson one day and stayed over for another the following day a couple of times so I got to watch a lot, including candidates preparing for BHS exams and others on Schoolmasters. At the time all the instructors appeared to be interested in their lessons but this was quite some time a go.

honetpot

Visit site
I sent my daughter for a week when she was about fourteen, it was the year of F&M and there was no PC. Then the accommodation was a bit basic, and I had to ring and tell them she was there to work and it wasn't a holiday. If you have never been on a big well run yard it gives you an idea what one should look like, and she had some amazing lessons on schoolmasters, and came back expecting more from herself and the horse. Perhaps it not for everyone, but I have had lessons with two FBHS in different places and like everything the quality varies, some think if you are a leisure rider or working towards an exam your not serious.