Talland

E13

Visit site
Just out of interest, what are your views/experiences? I've ridden there before but recently heard something negative from a friend, so got me musing!

charlie76

Visit site
I went to talland for a lesson before my exam. When I called to book it the girl was very nice but no payment was taken which was weird.
When I turned up on the day I went to the office and booked in. Was told to wait in the barn. A boy came and found me and showed me the horse, who was filthy but not to worry. He also told me to be careful as he was known to buck! Good start!
then I was left.
I had no idea where to go, in the end I found the indoor school and stood outside forever and still no one helped me, in the end I just barged in and guessed who my instructor was.
The horse was an advanced horse who knew all the moves but was miserable and stiff, however when I rode him with a more aggressive tone he actually went quite well. He was behind the leg and did buck.
I did enjoy the lesson. The instructor was good and I took snippets away.
At the end of the lesson I took the horse back and no one was there to take the horse. I eventually found his stable. Un tacked and rugged him, found a tack room, but the tack in and left, still saw no one!
so in short, lesson was good, customer service not so.
I did my exam there and everyone was pleasant and the horses were all nice

poiuytrewq

Visit site
So did you get the lesson free!?
I'm a bit disappointed to hear this! I'd kind of dreamed about being able to afford to go there for lessons but maybe not....

Polotash

Visit site
My mum did her AI there donkeys years ago (before it moved to current yard) and always says it was outstanding compared to a standard riding school back then (as you would expect!)

I've had mixed experiences...

We went there for a BUSA (inter-Uni, now called BUCS) competition and it was good. The outside arena where we show jumped was full of puddles, but it rode fine and the horses were comparable/ slightly better than the usual. This must have been 7 years ago.

I also went there for two school master sessions about 9 years ago. The first was an instructor called Lisa I think and I rode their schoolmistress called Amber (bay mare). There were 3 individual lessons going on in their indoor school (which I don't think is 20 x 60, although bigger than 20 x 40). I had the middle of the shcool to ride in with lessons at both ends, which was ok, but not brillaint. The horse was VERY hard work and Lisa insisted I take a VERY strong contact. Fair enough, they know how their horse goes, but not my cup of tea (I should add i compete at medium level here so I'm not a total numpty!). I did manage to get tempi changes out of her, but I can't say I enjoyed the lesson and boy did my arms ache the next day - I can only imagine how the horse feels being worked like this every day.

The second one was with a much less experienced horse but with Pammy's husband Brian who was ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT! The lesson was nothing special in terms of what i got out of the horse, but Brian pin pointed a fault with my riding which has never been spotted again before or since but I am aware of - namely my right shoulder is tight/ higher. I really really enjoyed his lesson and recommend him to loads of people now.

Moral of the story, book Brian!

Auslander

Visit site
I trained for my II there, and loved it - but that was 20 odd years ago. We had some fab horses, and some that were not so fab, but taught me a lot. I mainly trained with Adam, who isn't there any more, but had a few sessions with Pammy, mostly impromptu as she was riding while I was. The SM training was first rate, and standards of stable management were very high - every horse was strapped every day, and the staff checked them with a white cloth. Surprised to hear that things have changed in that respect - I got kicked out of a lesson once because my horse had a bit of straw in his tail, and no hoof oil on!

doonrocket

Visit site
Went there for a lesson with a younger chap. It was a good lesson but probably not worth the journey and price. Horse wasn't up to much.

I did see one of the senior instructors in the indoor school giving a lesson, and thought she wasn't paying much attention to the student. I remember thinking I would have 'had a word' if that was my lesson.

ihatework

Visit site
I went for a series of lessons on advanced horses with Brian. Brian was good and I wanted real position bashing, which I got, so the purpose was served. But it wasn't all good, indoor school is massive but shared with lots of other lessons, so I ended up pretty much on a 20m circle for most of it. One of the horses was a complete darling, but lame and I spent the first 20 minutes in canter getting him sound enough to trot!!! The others half lesson was spent loosening off creaks before getting about 20 minutes of work.

That makes it sound awful, it wasn't and I would go back, but only with very specific aims made very clear to them before I arrived

honetpot

Visit site
My daughter went on a weeks holiday. Its not a normal riding school and everything is a bit regimented but she rode horses and did things she would have never got to do on our PC ponies.
You have to speak up and make sure your getting what you want to acheive.

humblepie

Visit site
I am another who was not over impressed as found quite disorganised and whilst I had booked a course of lunge lessons, by the third or fourth lesson the instructor decided not to do a lunge lesson. I probably should have been a bit more insistent about what I wanted but instead just didn't go back.

ElphabaFae

Visit site
I had some lessons there, it seemed pretty expensive considering what I got:

One lesson we have a girl who must have been training or just completed her PTT, she couldn't teach very well at all, we struggled to hear what she was saying and we spent must of the lesson riding corners and circles :rolleyes:

One of the horses I rode was very old and wobbly, whenever she went round a corner she felt like she going to fall over! Apparently she had just come back from her break but I'm not convinced...

Another one was a little git, everytime you went into canter it would stick its head down and buck. Now I have no problem with that at all, but they could have told me first that it might try it on. Plus I felt too big this pony, I'm only 5'3 but I felt like I was squashing this pony.

I did have great lesson though, we worked through lots of different exercises with a very experienced instructor who I wouldn't hesitate having another lesson with :D

Cop-Pop

Visit site
I've seen two lessons there - one was by Pammy and the person she was teaching took away a lot and it was a very good lesson; the other was with someone who was competing well at Elementary level dressage, they said this when they booked and said they were hoping to move up a level next season. They were given an instructor who wasn't capable of teaching above Prelim and thought they were teaching a beginner. When the person complained she was basically told to f-off :rolleyes:

I think with a place that big it all depends on who you get to teach you :)

marmalade76

Visit site
I went to talland for a lesson before my exam. When I called to book it the girl was very nice but no payment was taken which was weird.
When I turned up on the day I went to the office and booked in. Was told to wait in the barn. A boy came and found me and showed me the horse, who was filthy but not to worry. He also told me to be careful as he was known to buck! Good start!
then I was left.
I had no idea where to go, in the end I found the indoor school and stood outside forever and still no one helped me, in the end I just barged in and guessed who my instructor was.
The horse was an advanced horse who knew all the moves but was miserable and stiff, however when I rode him with a more aggressive tone he actually went quite well. He was behind the leg and did buck.
At the end of the lesson I took the horse back and no one was there to take the horse. I eventually found his stable. Un tacked and rugged him, found a tack room, but the tack in and left, still saw no one!

I am surprised that you did not recieve good customer service, I spent 15 months there (though it was getting on for 20 years ago now) and customer service was of utmost importance.

If you went for a one off lesson without asking for a specific instructor, you would probably get a stage four student.

The horses varied, some were ex comp horses (Amber was there when I was, though not used as a school horse at the time), some were homebreds and some were ordinary leisure horses taken on loan, some perminant, some just for the summer or winter. I would say the standard of horse was still far better than most colleges (I had a few lessons at Hartpury too, no comparison!)

"They were given an instructor who wasn't capable of teaching above Prelim and thought they were teaching a beginner. When the person complained she was basically told to f-off "

This does not surprise me, any student who 'didn't like it' would have been told the same.

Auslander

Visit site
I'm saddened to hear some of these reports. I was there around the same time as Marmalade67, and I agree with her comments. It was one of the high points of my horsey career, and I took away such a huge amount.

Back then, very few of the students did any client teaching, and if they did, they tended to be the Stage 4 students, who were considered to be competent enough to be allowed to teach outside students. We were very closely supervised, and staff were very quick to jump in and help if things were going wrong.

Very sad reading...

charlie76

Visit site
Marmalade. Don't get me wrong. The lesson was good and the people were friendly and I am sure the left to get on with it idea is great for the regular customers, however, if you have never been some where before it can be off putting

marmalade76

Visit site
Marmalade. Don't get me wrong. The lesson was good and the people were friendly and I am sure the left to get on with it idea is great for the regular customers, however, if you have never been some where before it can be off putting

But you wouldn't have been left to it when I was there. Each student was responsible for (usually) two in horses and two out horse. They would be responsible for checking when 'their' horses were needed and responsible for making sure the horse was ready (clean and tacked up) for it's lesson. Usually the allocated insructor would have been responsible for showing the client to the horse (unless it was someone like Pammy herself).

Visit site
then I was left.

Dear Charlie76,
I am sop sorry that you had a bad initial experience, I am slightly shocked and apologise for this, and thank you for bringing this to my attention

Please email me with some more details so I can follow up if you wouldnt mind. Anonymously obviously

DIXIEBLONDJOKER

New User
Visit site
Wow, what an array of moans and groans...

It is so hard for ANY Equestrian centre to gain 100% positive feedback, never mind one such as Talland that is seen to be the pinnacle of excellence - and thus under an enormous amaount of pressure from all clients who come to be turned into olympic athletes overnight...
It must be remembered it is a BHS Training establishment as well as a riding school... and those of us who have worked hard to train, and gain qualifications and competition experience will understand that we are NEVER perfect from the start. I attended Talland when I was 16, knowing nothing at all, and made my fair share of mistakes, some serious, some not so...

I am sure that if you made a formal statement, or complaint if the need is there, they would be very appreciative to know and woudl always reply to you to discuss your experience, positive or negative.

I am Pro Talland, I would be nothing without them... and had a fabulous time and learnt a HUGE amount which I will never forget, and use forever...

DIXIEBLONDJOKER

New User
Visit site
I've seen two lessons there - one was by Pammy and the person she was teaching took away a lot and it was a very good lesson; the other was with someone who was competing well at Elementary level dressage, they said this when they booked and said they were hoping to move up a level next season. They were given an instructor who wasn't capable of teaching above Prelim and thought they were teaching a beginner. When the person complained she was basically told to f-off :rolleyes:

I think with a place that big it all depends on who you get to teach you :)

I am a bit confused by your comments.. you have seen 2 lessons - presumably with friends of yours?? otherwise you wouldnt know thier details?? It seems odd that a rider at Elementary wanting to go to Medium was booked with what sounds like one of the BHSPI's , when they should be with one of the senior instructors.. MAybe the riders objective wasnt explained correctly...who did they complain to? Instructor, or office staff? or Pammy?
I cant imagine a new client in any riding school actually being told to ******* off... not exactly in their interests is it.. even if it was thought..

viviandressage

New User
Visit site
I have been training at Talland for 4 years and having my horse based there for one year now. I am very happy with the teaching and standard of horse care. No place is perfect but horse welfare always comes first at Talland which is why I decided to have my horse there. Lessons are always well structured, (My lessons are with Gerry, Richard, Ali, Hilary, Charlie and Pammy) clear and never patronising. I really feel that they care if I'm making good progress and not just to have fun.
Overall, I can't give enough credit to Talland for how much I love and enjoy riding everyday now.

Mind4sport

Visit site
I have been riding at Talland every weekend since January 2009, starting off at two lessons per month, now 10 lessons per month. I have had a number of instructors, settling on one some two years ago who has given me the opportunity to ride 28 different horses. Each horse has been a great teacher and I have only changed horses when my instructor felt it appropriate as my skills have improved.

This weekend, I had two lessons with Pammy (the 124th & 125th this year) on a School Master, the first since starting riding at Talland. I explained my riding experience, what I had been doing recently and then I rode a series of movements, on a school master to give her a view of my practical skills. I was very clear about where I thought I was, what I was feeling on the horse, what I felt I needed to work on etc and Pammy duly provided really positive feedback. The lesson was certainly a two way dialogue, professional, insightful and beneficial. What more could you want?

I would suggest that all the Talland instructors will endeavour to meet ANY visitors requirements if you are honest about your skills and what you want to achieve. I certainly would not continue to spend the money if I did not get a good service or make progress. I am personally more than happy to be associated with Talland and to recommend them

Gingerwitch

Visit site
So surpised at how many new posters have joined to defend Talland's reputation - seams a bit late now, when their has been so many threads over the last few years all saying how poor their attitude is to the riders.

Pammy - i hear you are a legend but from the news on the street you need to be looking at the attitude your instructors have - to be blunt they need to realise they are not you, and being rude is not of any benefit to your buisness.

Charliechalk

Visit site
Hi,
Just our of interest does anyone who works at Talland or worked there recently remember a horse called Bob. passport name BB Jubilee. He is a 16.1 brown gelding. He was sold from there around 2 years ago, was wondering if anyone knows anything about him or his history. I've had him 2 years now and don't really know anything about his past. He used to wear a Boett rug all the time, any info good or bad would be gratefully received. PM me if you prefer. Thank you

Marydoll

Visit site
So surpised at how many new posters have joined to defend Talland's reputation - seams a bit late now, when their has been so many threads over the last few years all saying how poor their attitude is to the riders.

Pammy - i hear you are a legend but from the news on the street you need to be looking at the attitude your instructors have - to be blunt they need to realise they are not you, and being rude is not of any benefit to your buisness.

Agree with this, ^^^^ while Talland may have once been the pinnacle, it appears to have been experiencing problems in recent times by some of the posts here.
It may just be 1 or 2 people but because its on here, its out there for a huge amount of equestrian folks to read.
It is an old post and by her response here Pammy is addressing the issues.
It is sad that some problems were just basic manners and treating clients with respect.
A meet and greet is to me one of the most basic and important parts of any visit for a lesson, with the person then handed off to the groom who has their horse prepared and ready, who would then escort them to the arena where they meet their instructor, not only is it efficient it is good manners and safety.
For many clients paying for a lesson might take up a big chunk of their wage, and they deserve to be treated with respect. It only takes one negative experience to put people off .

lhotse

Visit site
I'm saddened to hear some of these reports. I was there around the same time as Marmalade67, and I agree with her comments. It was one of the high points of my horsey career, and I took away such a huge amount.

Back then, very few of the students did any client teaching, and if they did, they tended to be the Stage 4 students, who were considered to be competent enough to be allowed to teach outside students. We were very closely supervised, and staff were very quick to jump in and help if things were going wrong.

Very sad reading...

Just wondering if you and Marmalade can remember someone called Dawn who was there around that time. She used to stable at the same yard as me and broke my old mare in. We had a lot of fun when we were young!! She went to Talland and became the youngest II in the country at the time, when they changed the age limits. Haven't seen her for years, she moved down south, although I do still see her mum!

Pammy

New User
Visit site
As always we read the forums. I am sorry some of you have had problems; an e. mail to secretary@talland.net will always receive a personal reply; especially if addressed to me!
It is not easy to have everything perfect every day; and we are addressing the issues raised! What a pity direct communication is a thing of the past! A visit to me always does the trick!!
We never put horses down for money; my goodness; how could one. Any horse that is put down needs to be taken out of pain.

The instruction at Talland is almost always good; the horses currently are fabulous; we are working on the mud!

Do feel free to e. mail us if your needs need addressing,

Pammy Hutton

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Pammy I have heard very good things about YOU I really have - but maybe you need to do a secret shopper as such every so often - I am sure if you pm'd a few folk on here they would be more than happy to give you a genuine critique.

As so very often occurs folk do not realise how hard you have had to work to get where you are and have some bizzare attitude that they are "great" because of where they work, not of how good they are.

I will be coming down in the new year for a lesson - once my broken leg is mended - so perhaps i could be a secret shopper for you :) - oh and i certainly am not looking for a freebee - as it is something i have always wanted to do.

I just know that a few folk have been very dissapointed on the whole experiance - and for some folk spending £70 quid plus travel is a real big push for them.

The other thing i would really like to say is i am really impressed that you have taken the critique and promised to sort it out - that in itself has made me change my mind about coming.

GW

Mind4sport

Visit site
As a late comer to the Equestrian world, I avidly started using forums but was appalled by the responses I got to some of my posts. These posts, to me were pretty basic (as I was a total beginner) and caused much derision and scathing comments to be received (not only this forum I hasten to add).

However nearly 7 years later, I happened to be looking for something I recalled on a forum (could not remember which one) and came across this post, which quite frankly surprised me. I now work with a significant number of equestrians all over the world, but I am not naive.

Gingerwitch, Some people will encounter problems from time to time at ANY establishment, but I personally believe in addressing issues in person, face to face and I also believe in giving credit and praise when it is due. I am just a Customer of Talland giving my honest comments on my experiences.

I have had reason to discuss items with the Office staff and have always had a very good service, with appropriate action taken in a timely way, so do not understand why or how some of the items on this thread have happened.