Tangent thread - are long manes dangerous in your opinion?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I think they could be if someone is very reliant on their reins or the horse will do something stupid if you can't quickly position your hands on the reins. The hair certainly can get in the way. I used to pony tail my cob's mane to ride but I don't do it with my mare that has a long mane, I'm not sure what the difference is but one used to tangle with the reins and the other doesn't.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I'd be stuffed if I shortened up the manes on my 2..... would mean neither could be a breed model if required.

Never had a problem riding even with knee length mane, with bit requiring 2 prs of reins, possibly leading one smaller one too. Drag hunted with full native manes too.
I don't even think about it tbh.
Why?

paddi22

Visit site
No - I've never had any issue and my horses have had long manes for years now. I prefer them, and (personally) feel that pulling a mane is cruel. I appreciate that makes me like a bunny-hugger in the eyes of some, but I've never liked it.

that's funny, two of my horses absolutely love having their mane pulled:p. it really relaxes them and the harder you pull the better. it's their absolute favourite thing for me to do to them. I've other ones that hate it though

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I have never had a problem, although our first horse's mane was so tough that it could cut your fingers when grooming - his tail was even worse! We measure mane toughness 'it's not a tough as George's". We have never had another to match his.:)

palo1

Visit site
I have had horses with long manes for many years and whilst they can be annoying, I don't think they're actually dangerous. You do get used to them being in the way after a while, and if they can be plaited if a bother.

This! Long manes can be plaited or otherwise put out of the way. Never considered them dangerous tbh, albeit sometimes annoying. They are also nice if you need something to hold on to or even better put your hands under a long thick mane on a cold day; there isn't a better hand warmer than that tbh!! :)

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
My horses' long manes have saved me a nasty fall on many an occasion ?.

Me too! In my case I guess it just proves what a crap rider I am when I have had to grab a handful to stop myself going straight out the side door! This magnificent picture is a bit of video I took galloping my old cob up a bridleway and a pheasant flew out - I only remained hanging off one side of him and still grabbing hold of my phone because by other hand had the reins and a lovely big chunk of hairy cob mane keeping me sort of vaguely on board!

Attachments

• gallop.jpg
    gallop.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 56

Littlebear

Visit site
The only horse I ever had with a long mane was Spanish so I couldn't pull it, i just did a quick plait before i rode usually.

Annagain

Visit site
As someone who dislocated a finger getting it trapped in my horse's (short but thick) mane while jumping (hands went forward, finger stayed put - ouch) I don't think they're any more dangerous than any other length mane. Only a hogged mane would have saved my finger that day and then I'd have nothing to grab hold of in an emergency.

windand rain

Visit site
No I love hairy horses as long as they dont have beards and moustaches They make me shudder. A beard in winter maybe but not in summer. Moustache never wouldn't deliberately buy one with one but if one grew on a baby purchase it would very quickly learn about clippers. Long tails can be trodden on which probably isnt very comfy long manes are beautiful if kept well.

JJS

Visit site
I did wonder what danger they were meant to pose when it was stated a couple of times on my thread! I’ve never even considered that they could be a hazard before.

I tend to plait Mary’s mane up for riding, but on the occasions that I don’t have time, I’ve never had an issue with it getting in the way. I don’t suppose it poses any more of a hazard than my own hair, which seems just as likely to get caught up/on things as my horses’ manes do ??‍♀️

Annagain

Visit site
I did wonder what danger they were meant to pose when it was stated a couple of times on my thread! I’ve never even considered that they could be a hazard before.

I tend to plait Mary’s mane up for riding, but on the occasions that I don’t have time, I’ve never had an issue with it getting in the way. I don’t suppose it poses any more of a hazard than my own hair, which seems just as likely to get caught up/on things as my horses’ manes do ??‍♀️

I must admit, the horse standing on it isn't something I've ever thought of before it was mentioned. I think it would need to be quite a bit longer for that to happen - and surely they'd just move off it?

Reactions: JJS

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I've also never thought about it and never had an issue?. I trim just the very bottom of one of mine but only because the ends get scraggy and then very wind knot prone.

Can't imagine how it would be a danger to the horse either - if they got it stuck on something it would just break or rip out, the same as with tail hair.

Reactions: JJS
Visit site
I love them long, if it suits the horse....I hate the short, pulled mane look ?
Never had any issues with long manes in terms of safety, quite the opposite in fact..!!!

A well pulled mane is a thing of beauty. A scissor cut mane is vile. ??

I love a long mane and have never had a bother with them with single or double reins. I don't ride my natives in rubber reins though so I couldn't comment on how much they get stuck in them.

Sandstone1

Visit site
This thread appears to be aimed at my comments on Flowers thread so I will reply, Yes in my opinion manes that long are dangerous, they can get caught up in tack, the horse can stand on them when rolling or getting up and down and can get stood on by other horses when laying down not to mention being hot in summer. Yes I know horses have long manes in the wild but they dont get ridden. However each to their own, although in fact I am sure there has been a thread asking if the mane should be shorter?
This is just my opinion I hasten to add! Im prepared to be ripped apart but I dont really care.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I've honestly not had an issue with my boys long mane & I don't tend to plait it unless very, very hot.

The most bother it's caused me was finding a pair of reins that are suitably grippy enough for fast work and in wet weather that won't rub the mane.

Steerpike

Visit site
I've one Arab with a long mane, the rest of my Arabs have cut manes as I can't stand pulling manes! I have never thought a long mane could be dangerous.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Thanks for the reply Sandstone. :) This thread was in response to your comments as I've just not had any issues with my horses long manes. I just thought that the discussion deserved a separate thread and I didn't want to upset the OP of the other thread.