TB's at the sales . . . apparently passports nailed to doors and 'help yourself'???

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
Don't anyone get worried about people that pigeon holes thoroughbreds.
Just remember that 90% of people that 'ride' barely know one end of a horse from the other.
As for the original post, I was at Donny getting a pass out a couple of years ago when a bloke came in wanting the meat mans number. Turned out he had 2 lots unsold and didn't want to take them back to Ireland. A girl in front of me said she'd have them, he handed her the passouts and the headcollars and walked off. Always wish i'd known which ones they were.
Have also known horses been given away at the races, usually the Irish again.

WoopsiiD

summerfieldstables.weebly.com
I have never owned a TB and never would but the reason for that is I believe TB's should only be owned by certain people.

In defence of TB's my friend had one. Failed racer, failed broody great blood lines. Turned her hoof to SJ and had a fairly good career. I rode her a few times on nice 'ploddy' hacks and I have to say she was fantastic. She never put a foot wrong, she was enjoyable and calm. Bubs had a sit on her too when she was tiny, she barley reached her knee but had a good go at grooming-something I would never have let her do to my ISHxTB.

TB's need IMO a calm, steady, laid back owner. Total Ying and Yang sitiuation. Friend was so laid back she was practically horizontal and this rubbed off on TB. Nothing fazed friend so evantually TB ended up the same.

lannerch

Visit site
in my experiance of tb and its quite extensive, we used to have a lot of tb polo ponies bought from doncaster, is that yes you can catagorise but only very broadly they are on the whole all different.

We have had very scittish ones, very fiery ones and ones that would be described as complete dopes and the majority somewhere in the middle.

They are on the whole intelligent quick to learn. But you do as with any young green horse have to do the ground work, to have to school!

Last edited:

cobgirlie

Visit site
I know a P2P trainer who is most definately not giving his TB's away!! He's got owners waiting to send him horses and the one's he has are worth money...right now they are anyway!! I ride them out sometimes to help him and they are all fabulously behaved hacking, I'm a nervous nelly and really don't like long tall horses but I feel perfectly safe and if the time comes I want a happy hacker I'd most definately buy one of his TB's off him. I most certainly don't ride them when he's race training them in the fields and over the jumps though!! Leave that up to the professionals!!:D

Aces_High

Visit site
I live near Newmarket and the poor animals that are not sold are not going home.
Most trainers try to find responsible homes for them if possible but they do not own the horses and the owner has every right to take them a way if they do not want to pay training fees.
Often in this situation the trainers are owed a lot of money so the horse is going to the sales so they can recoup some money. Training is primarily run as a business (like it or not) and like anyone in any sector knows if your invoices are not being paid there isn't any cash coming in and then you can't pay staff, feed bills etc etc. Yes owners can take them out of training if they don't want to pay training fees but this is generally unusal.

Yes but no one can take them, then they become the property of Tatts or are returned to their owner. There was a case last year were some Saudi client bought horses but could not pay for them, the mares were then reentered in the February sale. So not a free for all.
Agree the horses become Tattersalls property and are re-sold at a later date. They have a holding yard where the horses are fed and looked after. They DO NOT leave them in a stable to die!!

I don't think many TBs are being 'left tied up at the sales' for the reasons we have already discussed, this maybe happening at the market type sales but not at Tatts etc. Besides it costs more than meat money to enter the horses in those sales and the cost of staff means that the real poor end of the market do not end up at Tatts or Doncaster. However yes horses are given away from training yards to often unsuitable homes but then is this not the case in the' riding horse' market. TBH I get fed up of the accusing finger being point at the TB industry when there is so much indescriminate breeding going on in the riding horse sector.
I totally agree it's always the Racing Industry which cops it in the neck. Yes there are some bad guys out there but isn't there everywhere? To 2nd Horses are NOT LEFT tied up in the sales paddock!!

most TB's that have raced that I know of are the same. sorry but mine had nothing wrong with him health wise just 2 dicky tendons fom racing as most do
Biggest load of rubbish I've ever heard! Bit like me generalising and stating that all WB's have terrible feet. Accept racing as a whole - it brings a huge amount of revenue to the country and is a sport that the UK are proud of and do it properly. Attitudes like the above do get to me. Having spend decades in racing I have only come across a handful which had completely broken down and yes they were sound and point to pointing!! Man Up!!

Bug2007

Visit site
I am afraid I have a TB, and he is a money pit.
There are TB's going for nothing but its not advertised as most sensible people do not want the 'cheap horse', for nothing brigade coming round. These horse needs lots of care and I think most would be better off not in private homes. A lot have issues apart from weaving,cribbing, and leg problems and the cost of keeping them makes the extra cost of buying a nice sensible cob in the long run cheap.

My TB has only had vet out for vac's, big cob on yard she has had for six months only nine and he has been on field rest for five of them with joint issues and he is a money pit.....not all TB's are money pit's, pick one with good legs nice feet and a good temp and you have a fantastic horse......Miners Frolic anyone. :D

Rose Folly

Visit site
Is there a comma missing or something in Aces_High's last post. Appears to say that had only known of a few that had completely broken down and yes they were sound and p-to-pointing?????

I still think racing TBs are expendable. It's all ooh and aah while they're winning, but some, and I stress some owners, do not appear to act responsibly afterwards. It wasn't so many years ago that an old Grand National winner was found in a pitiable state in winter, and was taken in by a horse charity.

And I'm not knocking ex-racers. I've owned 4 myself, and have done everything from hunting to LDR to Pony Club Gymkhanas. (3 were given to me and the 4th was pennies).

Aces_High

Visit site
Is there a comma missing or something in Aces_High's last post. Appears to say that had only known of a few that had completely broken down and yes they were sound and p-to-pointing?????

Sorry meant it read as in - when I worked with pointers many years ago, there were a handful on the yard which had seriously broken down but we'd got them right/sound, so they had a career pointing happily for a few seasons and then went off as hunters or riding horses.

Mike007

Visit site
Photo077.jpg

tb's - all bloody nuts I tell ya :D :D

`Wow ,he must have had atleast a bucket of sedalin We all know what untrustworthy creatures these thoroughbreds are.:D:D:D I love that picture.:)

lilly1

Visit site
Back to original topic i was at Leominster yesterday and racing bred tb youngsters were going very cheap. Nice colt foal went for £70 and a 2 yo gelding nice but very small fetched £150 or there about. Both well handled and in good nick. We looked up the stud fees for both of them and each one was over £2000. Crazy! Had to sit on my hands hard!

Its Not Magic

Visit site
Trinity Fox

P.S. if anyone has any free horses lying around i have 100 acres grazing ready lots of others for company plenty hay stables etc oh and a lorry to pick them up.:)[/QUOTE]
You must be every horse's pray and worth their whole weight in gold. What a nice person you are to offer homes to unwanted equines. Bless You!

Last edited:

cumbriamax

Visit site
I dont have a TB thank god..I'm just speaking from experience when I unfortunately owned one...my farrier was haydyn price - best around, and feed wise it was on 3 scoops of conditioning grub and and loads of hay/grass etc and was still a skinny thing...they also don't sell...lets here it for the cobs and warmbloods I say!!

this is ridiculous, only thing that I MIGHT possibly agree with is weight issue- but when fed on good quality haylage and feed I have no probs.

I was just thinking how all of these continental warmbloods are used in thier country of origin then are shipped over here to go lame/break down etc and I know lots of peeps who have experienced this.