TB's Pros and Cons

introevent

New User
Visit site
Hi After 15 years in the saddle I am finally in a position to buy my own horse.
I would love a TB but my instructer is very anti-TB and is trying to put me off.
So would welcome any comments good or bad about them,
character, temprament, health problems to look out for etc
Thanks

miamibear

Visit site
I certainly wouldnt tie evey Tb with the mad as a hatter phrase.

I would be careful which one you choose but the nice quiet ones can be found!

Things to watch out for are sometimes - not in all situations bad feet, keeping weight on in winter, depending on what you want to do - thin legs (i.e not much bone) sometimes prominent withers which can make saddle fitting difficult.

But dont let this put you off, these things can crop up with a lot of breeds.

Personally though i would be looking for something that mat what i wanted in a horse, not necessarily stick to breeds

KatB

Visit site
I like TB's they are very intelligent, but there is such a huge variations in "type" I think anyone can find one to suit them! The only consistant fault I know of is their flat footedness, so keeping an eye on feet is a def must.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Personally though i would be looking for something that met what i wanted in a horse, not necessarily stick to breeds

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree.

I have had a TB, and although not what could be termed a novice ride he was certainly no nutter, and would definately have one again if it fitted the bill of what I wanted.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I love TBs - They are kind and generous. But they also can get worried if they do not understand something. They also need a lot of work and I find they go better being worked 6 days a week. Some horses I can leave for a couple of days and pick up again but not a TB. I also find they are not easy to bully into doing something. They are all different and it depends on the individual horse. One thing is they can have bad feet as tend to be quite shallow so its definately something to check on very carefully.

ginnyspinner

Visit site
Have just sold my lovely TB - no major problem but could (obviously) be sharp to ride, impatient and dropped weight easily. However the worst thing about him was his hooves, poor quality, crumbly and weak. Shoes stayed on for only 3 or 4 weeks, less if working hard and we had to have glue ons in the summer - v expensive. Tried every supplement and lotion possible but nothing helped. Of course not all TB's have such awful feet, but it is a tendency of theirs so just examine hooves carefully.

SSM

Visit site
...............................need I say it? Well yes you are a newbie so I need to introduce you to the best breed in the world - the Cleveland Bay!!!!!!!!!! non of that namby pamby TB stuff here (although they are very nice when crossed with a CB
tongue.gif
)

SSM leaves PDQ (pretty dam quick!!!!!!!)

Parkranger

Visit site
TB's are like any other breed - some are good, some are bad!

I had a 15 year break then brought an Irish TB - and I love him to bits.

Pro's - very intelligent, quick to learn, loving, look nice (haa haa), tend to be good on the roads (if ex racers) due to them being around cars since yearlings, tend to also be good to shoe, box, clip etc as they've been there done that.

Con's - can have 'strange' quirks to their character (need to be strong on the ground with a lot of them!), take their confidence from their rider quite often, love a good gallop (actually, I don't think that a con). Tend to think they're more intelligent than their owners so takes a little longer to gain the trust (again, just imo).

There have been times when I've banged my head against the stable door and thought 'why did I buy a TB' but the rewards (for me) outway the 'quirks'. Personally I'd get something that's maybe a little older (I wouldn't have brought a 5 year old this time round!) and Ty is 8 and it's a good age (IMO).

Like any horse though you have to click with them and you can only do that by meeting them a few times/hacking out etc...

I wouldn't hesitate to buy an ex racer again......but at the age Ty is, he's obviously been reschooled at some time - so not as 'raw' as some of them. Speak to Vicjp.....

Good luck x

Kelly1982

Visit site
I am a big fan of TB's personally but i wouldn't say they are ideal first horses as they can be quite fizzy and highly strung.

Saying that though the TB we just sold was the most laid back horse ever and really looked after you when you rode her. We sold her to quite a novicey home and they are doing really well with her so there are some sensible ones out there.

The thing i like about TB's is that they learn so quickly and they are so clever, you only need to show them once and they know what you want them to do. They can be too clever for their own good sometimes tough LOL.

TB's are known for their bad feet also but i have had 2 TB's and i have a TBx now and none have had bad feet. MY friends TB has had to have loads of remedial shoeing to get her feet right though so that would be something to look out for.

There are a lot more experienced people on here than me though that can probably give you better advice but thats my view on things.

Good luck with your search

UKa

community.webshots.com
I have a TB and am a very happy owner: she is reliable, very willing, very affectionate, intelligent and level headed (yes, level headed!); more level headed than many warmbloods or ponies I have met.

many people think that all TBs are mad but I just think usually the mad ones have been treated wrongly (you need to be very calm and patient with them as they are very sensitive and BECAUSE they are so intelligent).
contrary to most beliefs of TBs, mine also has very good feet and goes barefoot!

downside: she has suffered episodes of azoturia (tyeing up) which apparently many TBs get, suppose it is to do with being highly strung but this condition can be managed.

I think I would go for a TB again.

Benefice1

Visit site
ditto the above, my TBs feet are very flat, in summer he has to have pads on, although he has never been lame or had any problems. He is difficult to keep weight on so feed bills are normally quite high!!
He is a lovely horse tho, he is quirky in that he is fairly spooky and highly strung but he is 100% traffic proof and although he likes the more forward going paces he never bolts and will pull up within seconds both alone and in company.
I wouldnt have him any other way
laugh.gif

Good luck in finding a horse x

Parkranger

Visit site
Just to add, yes they can be impatient and do get upset if they don't understand something (agree with those points) but I think the Irish TB is a good catch as they tend to be a bit 'thicker' in brain and bone! x

Parkranger

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
...............................need I say it? Well yes you are a newbie so I need to introduce you to the best breed in the world - the Cleveland Bay!!!!!!!!!! non of that namby pamby TB stuff here (although they are very nice when crossed with a CB
tongue.gif
)

SSM leaves PDQ (pretty dam quick!!!!!!!)

[/ QUOTE ]

I've just realised that I'm starting to talk about Irish TB's as you do about CBs!

grin.gif

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
need I say it? Well yes you are a newbie so I need to introduce you to the best breed in the world - the Cleveland Bay!!!!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Aggghhhhhh lock her up quick ...................
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

Scarlett

Visit site
I have a 4yo exracer and he is 100% at everything. I had never thought of myself as a TB person before but for some reason the advert for him caught my eye, and I am so glad it did...

As already said I find they are best when worked 6 days a week, and when making sure their work is varied - they tend to be quick to learn and very, very intelligent.... too intelligent sometimes, which is when people have problems with them...

They do tend to take their confidence from their rider, as mentioned, which if your are a novice doesnt always mean they are the best horse for you - however my 4 yo is teaching my boyf to ride (he's a complete beginner) and has been nothing but fantastic whilst doing it....

feet however can be an issue, mine has great feet but sadly thats not always the case...

I cannot wait to get another one - am looking into loaning a 10yo 'been there, done it' type for this summer and then I have my eye on a 3yo mare who is currently in training, they just havnt realised she actually wants to come and event with me instead yet!

I wouldnt swap mine for the world!

and as for your instructor - would his opinion be different if it was a tb who had been repackaged as a Sports horse...?? <rolls eyes>

good luck with whatever horse you pick...

SSM

Visit site
You may well mock me....however after 23 years out of the saddle the breed has suited me perfectly - they can heave themselves over the occaisional pole, she can trudge around a school, remains completley calm at shows, she can suddenly find the speed of Red Rum out on a hack but is still fairly bomb proof and to handle - she is just ace (we won't mention clippers or trailers
crazy.gif
)

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I would also add to my original post, that my TB Freddy was quite a stress head.

So routine was incredibly important to him - same thing at the same time every day. He couldn't be left in the stable if others started to get turned out, but was happy to be the first turned out. He was actually incredibly needy, which I didn't mind and could accomodate.

Having said that - at my previous yard there were a number of ex race horses. And they were all fab. One little flat racer did go to a girl who was quite novicy, and he really did look after her so well.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
You may well mock me....however after 23 years out of the saddle the breed has suited me perfectly - they can heave themselves over the occaisional pole, she can trudge around a school, remains completley calm at shows, she can suddenly find the speed of Red Rum out on a hack but is still fairly bomb proof and to handle - she is just ace (we won't mention clippers or trailers )

[/ QUOTE ]
And we all love her for the happiness she so obviously brings you
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Natalie_H

Visit site
My Mum has an Irish TB & I also have a TB. Both live out 24/7. Neither struggle to keep weight on. The Irish is thicker set & has much better hooves. Mine is a bit sharper & quicker to learn. I would recommend them, but not necessarily as a first horse. The Irish is as laid back as anything, but if something does set him off (which is rare) he can be difficult. The other one is difficult all the time!!! Mine is allergic to most cereals. At the moment he is having just hay, with alfa-a twice a day & farriers formula. That is all & he hasn't dropped weight at all, but they are all different!! However, the cost we save on feed is more than made up by shoeing cost!!

Heidi1

Visit site
I have two full TB's, one TB x Welsh D and one TB x ID and am a very happy owner. Have no problems with feet. Do a bit of everything with them, apart from TBxID, he is retired. Good luck and keep us posted.....

ginnyspinner

Visit site
My boy worked himself up into a tizz if anything on the yard was turned out before him - early mornings a must!!
He also couldn't cope well with the excitement of hunting - well behaved at the meet but thought of nothing else for days afterwards - dropping weight and very very sharp to ride. Needed time to let down post-hunt.

If I were to go shopping for another horse right now, I would not touch a TB with a bargepole because I would want my horses for dressage, so would be looking at a KWPN or similar.
If someone is buying a horse to race then they wouldn't touch a KWPN but would want a TB.

So the point is what do you want the horse for, what job do you want it to do?? Every breed is fantastic to some people and worthless to others!!

kirstyfk

Visit site
This is a picture are a tb my sister rode a few years ago. She was full tb by welton abassador out of a Ben Fairie(sp) so very well bred. She was only 15.2hh but an absolute doll. She was kind, caring, not stressy, had pretty good feet and any body could ride her. However she was retired and put into foal as she had spavins in her hocks.
Picture599.jpg

Parkranger

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
My Mum has an Irish TB & I also have a TB. Both live out 24/7. Neither struggle to keep weight on. The Irish is thicker set & has much better hooves. The Irish is as laid back as anything, but if something does set him off (which is rare) he can be difficult.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agree - there are occasions when he thinks he's on the race track, his whole body concenteeners (sp) we jog, and then I shout to the person behind - get back, there's a buck coming!! haa haa - I find this funny now, but wouldn't of as a novice! x

vicm2509

Visit site
I used to have a TB. He was 100% in every way to ride. Although he would freak when he saw the farrier, the clippers or the vet, lol.

He was a very fussy eater and did not hold his weight well at all. The smallest knock of a jumping pole and he would be lame for at least a week, he was also a very colic prone horse and unfortunatly that is what I lost him to in the end.

So in all mine had fabulous potential but was out of work 50% of the time. That alone put me off buying another TB and I went through so much with him and it broke my heart and there was no way id want to go through that again

However I would not say they are all the same as I know people with TB who dont have problems at all. Although in comparison to many other horses the do tend to be a little more hot headed, not that that is a bad thing, it just depends what type of horse you prefer.

I now have an IDxTB which personally I prefer in terms as they do have a bit more bone and tend to be a bit 'tougher'.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Why would a TB not be anygood for dressage?

[/ QUOTE ]
It would be - but a lot of people would not necessarily go after one if it was aimed at high level dressage because its paces wouldn't be flashy enough.

kirstyfk

Visit site
The right tb can do amazing dressage and brilliant for eventing - if you find a sane one. But I would go looking for the allround package and not buy a horse just because of the breeding.