TB's Pros and Cons

Scarlett

Visit site
if its eventing your interested in then a tb is your best choice - they may not be capable of Grand Prix dressage but something like 95% of horses eventing are at least 75% tb - apparently!

Parkranger

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
If I were to go shopping for another horse right now, I would not touch a TB with a bargepole because I would want my horses for dressage, so would be looking at a KWPN or similar.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny, and I don't mean this horribly, but after having a nicely built TB (dont like thin set but that's only because I have a big butt!) I wouldn't touch a warmblood with a bargepole! I find them quite ugly to look at.....just my opinion though.....

I'll never be able to do grand prix dressage on Ty, but now that he's re training well, he looks pretty good....

x

Natalie_H

Visit site
Know that one Vicstress!!! Mine is the same. I am sad as I find it entertaining these days as I am used to it - but it can't be very nice for the people I ride with!!

Re: dressage - have been told by many professionals that if I had the time & the facilities, mine could do Advance Medium. However, I just wanted an all rounder. If I was totally into dressage & really wanted to progress quickly to a high level in the discipline I probably would have gone for something else.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
they may not be capable of Grand Prix dressage

[/ QUOTE ]
Why aren't they capable of doing Grand Prix dressage???????

Gingerbird

Visit site
I haven't read the rest of this post so hope I'm not duplicating what others have said!

I've had my TB for 14.5 years and I wouldn't swap him for the world.

He's got so many good points I can't list them all but he has always been a pleasure to own, great to ride, responsive, alert, friendly, amazing loyal, wonderful to ride, cheeky, great personality......I could go on and on.....great for farrier, vet, load etc.....

On his downside he can be very full of himself when ridden (this has got worse as he's got older, he thinks he knows it all these days), and when he gets in a tizz in the field hes an absolute nightmare to lead in of an evening (bucking, rearing etc).

to be ridden he's also very very strong (even at 22).

But overall I've had him for ages so he's got to be more good than bad and I would def have another one so big ups for TB's I say!!!!

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
Is a WB those big, fat, thick things?
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Why would a TB not be anygood for dressage?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure I should get into that.......this debate has been had before on here!!!
However, for eventing dressage a TB is fine because most of the rest of the competitors will be on TB's and the standard is not as high as pure dressage (which is what I meant i wouldn't have one for!!). TB's are not as engaged, extravagent or uphill moving as the more "dressage" breeds and therefore don't do aswell in pure dressage but in eventing dressage, far less emphasis is put on these things so it is not a problem!!!

I would say that TB's (or TB crosses) are the best suited horses to eventing, so if that is what you want to do then it would prob be a good choice for you (if you pick a nice one - obviously all breeds have some bad ones!)
And that just illustrates what i meant about one man's rubbish being another man's treasure!!!!!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
It would be - but a lot of people would not necessarily go after one if it was aimed at high level dressage because its paces wouldn't be flashy enough.

[/ QUOTE ].

Exactly!!

And yes, CB did go to Olympics on a TB but like with all sports the environment has changed a lot since then - I very much doubt that will ever happen again!!!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Not sure I should get into that.......this debate has been had before on here!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
Absolutely take your point on all of the comments you made - and I do not query how they would performe against the more engaged and powerful WB's at top level dressage.

However, they can still compete at this level - any breed can given the correct training. Whether they are competative or not is - like with anything - down to the rider, the judges, and the day.....

Parkranger

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why would a TB not be anygood for dressage?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say that TB's (or TB crosses) are the best suited horses to eventing, so if that is what you want to do then it would prob be a good choice for you (if you pick a nice one - obviously all breeds have some bad ones!)

[/ QUOTE ]

So maybe an IRISH TB, would be your best bet for top level dressage
cool.gif

See SSM, I told you - I'm flying the flag for ITB! x

SSM

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Is a WB those big, fat, thick things?
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I was waiting for that from you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
grin.gif
....um yes....and lovely!!!!!!!!!!!

charlotte1

Visit site
All TB's are different. I have two who are very different, one's an ex racer who is very sharp and quirky, and struggle to keep weight on over the winter, while the other is more laid back, and have problems keeping the weight off. One thing i would bear in mind with TB's is some off them can have very different personalities when they are unfit compared to when they are fit, and they can seem very quite when they are unfit, then once fit can turn out to be fairly sharp.

Scarlett

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

*holds hands up*
I dunno, I just got told that - not extravagant enough and all that malarkey - they can do it but not as well as a warmblood with a nicer action... I am very much pro TB and love to see them out jump or out dressage the warmbloods.... the anti TB thing drives me nuts....

Nickymac

Visit site
You could always have the best of both worlds and get one with a smidgeon of CB and the rest TB......they're lovely eventers, just lazy enough to not be too much trouble, yet lively enough if you kick them hard enough! That's the secret of my eventing success anyway (tongue firmly in cheek......)
wink.gif

Parkranger

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
One thing i would bear in mind with TB's is some off them can have very different personalities when they are unfit compared to when they are fit, and they can seem very quite when they are unfit, then once fit can turn out to be fairly sharp.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've noticed this in Ty I have to say - we tend to resemble a coiled spring some days and other days it's like riding a donkey.....

[ QUOTE ]
Absolutely take your point on all of the comments you made - and I do not query how they would performe against the more engaged and powerful WB's at top level dressage.

However, they can still compete at this level - any breed can given the correct training. Whether they are competative or not is - like with anything - down to the rider, the judges, and the day.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I totally agree with you that there is no reason why a really nice example of most horse breeds can't do top level dressage (GP)....
But to be very competitive at top level there are certain breeds which favour certain sports...........If you want to win at GP dressage then a warmblood would be your best choice, if you want to event **** then a TB is prob your best choice!!

Theresa_F

Visit site
I have had two TB mares, one lived on fresh air and had great feet - beautiful to handle but lively ride - always safe just liked to jog and race when she could.

Second TB - needed more feeding, but her feet too were good. Quieter to ride, but could get upset and would dump you if you didn't have a near perfect jumping position. Again good to handle.

That said, I now prefer a steady hairy that is not so tall - if I didn't love my gypsy cobs so much now, I would consider a sensible TB again.

The french/us lines can be more hyped up I believe, irish lines tend to be more laid back.

burtie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/ QUOTE ]

Some probably are, in fact the modern trend is to start breeding more TB into the wrmblood.
But if you were specifically looking for a potential top dressage horse to bring on you are far more likely to find it in a breed designed for it than one designed for racing.

Lets be perfectly honest how many horses competiting at say 'Advanced' and above are full TB and how many are warmblood? I'm sure there is a TB in there somewhere but I can bet money the warmbloods outnumber them by miles
grin.gif

bountyboy

Visit site
My boy is a tb and he's brilliant. Level headed and calm. Also BRILLIANt in traffic. A lot of them which have raced are very good in traffic as during training a lot of roadwork is done on them. Also very athletic and a fab jumper. I would definately go for a tb again (not that I will ever part ways with my boy). however lots of tbs are quite the opposite and notorius for being a bit mad!!! why not look at getting a tbx - very good breed to x with.

siennamum

Visit site
Of course given the recent post featuring the prepotent hanoverian stallion in Germany at the moment - Lauries Crusader, and accepting the point that he's in fact a british bred TB, maybe we should be recommending a TB x rather than a warmblood at all since that is actually what many of them are........
grin.gif

Vicki1986

Visit site
sorry to all TB owners i KNOW i will get shot down but i personally dont like them - yes there are lots that are great but all the ones ive ever known have had health or hoof problems of some sort, it can be difficult to find a sane one.

thinking of the 20 or so TB's i either know or have known the following words spring to mind...nutjob, bad back, lame.

(obviously all horses have problems but TB's seem prone to "going wrong" in my experience anyway)

obviously lots arent like this and many make fab jumpers and eventers etc. just not for me. and i dont think great for a first horse.

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
In the grand scheme of things '20 or so' isnt actually very many. I have nown hundreds, probably even thousands, and the following things spring to mind:
bad feet = bad farrier
nutjob = bad rider
bad back = bad rider/bad feet = bad farrier
lame = bad back = bad rider/ bad feet = bad farrier

Vicki1986

Visit site
true but im saying what i know. didnt say ive known ever TB in the country but the ones i have known havent been "easy to run" shall we say then. and they werent all owned by novice owners either. (i.e. the nutjob i was referring to was owned by a BHSAI not a beginner etc)

depending on what sort of thing you are after maybe looking into getting something more on the native side or native cross TB get the best of both worlds then

Bossanova

Visit site
I love tbs, generally the small flat types I go for, they can be so, so cheeky but are usually packed full of character and keep you entertained for hours!
I wouldnt recommend one if you dont like quirks, but there are exceptions to every rule and I've known some exceptionally quiet tbs.
I personally would pick something with a dash of pony- 7/8 tb or 3/4 tb and the rest connie would be my ideal
smile.gif

Equibeau

Visit site
My tb is very athletic, has great feet, manners to burn, keeps weight on easily and is IMHO pretty good to look at! Can lack in confidence at times tho, but he can keep up with the warmbloods atm (mind you, not at GP yet!!)