Teeny-tiny (literally) showjumping report

Jesstickle

Visit site
Because I moaned no one writes them anymore it seems only fair to do one, so be prepared for the least significant report you have ever read...

I went to jump a CR today on a borrowed horse I have only had for a couple of months who has mostly done flat work for the last five years. In preparation for the day I have had one jumping lesson, where I jumped the dizzying heights of 80cm and the usually lazy beast tried to buck me off with excitement, and jumped maybe a grand total of 7 or 8 jumps of about 60cm spread across the whole month. Nothing like doing your homework and being sure of what you're doing eh? ;) Add to that the creature tends to grind to a halt in front of any fillers I get out at home and I thought I had better do something we could step over from a standstill just incase!

The day started well when the beast decided he didn't entirely want to get on the trailer and go to a party (maybe the four hours he had to stand and wait for my dressage sheet last time out put him off?) but being a good chap he eventually popped on and we drove the whole 15 minutes to the local venue. Got on him (my OH gives the best leg ups ever; which is good as the horse is huge and I am little) and we warmed up a bit. I trotted round the teeny tiny clear round expecting his lordship to stop at anything with tinsel,which was everything, but apparently not. Politely said they could keep the frilly as I was slightly embarrassed at the horse making such a liar of me (obviously I had said he'd look at everything *rolleyes*

First class was the same height, so teeny tiny, and beastly cantered, and sometimes trotted due to retard jockey, around for a clear. Given that they were hardly jumps to his extremely lanky legs this is not a great surprise.

This is the video of us stepping over some raised poles ( no need to offer CC but if you would like to go ahead, I am easy either way :) )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs9Kew1GChw&feature=youtu.be

And then we jumped off and OH took some photos rather than videod. Which is kind of nice, but as that round was much better, ie I actually made the horse canter the whole thing, it is also kind of a shame.

If you give the OH the camera you mostly get these photos (seriously, I have ten like this)

P1010564_zps1e270a23.jpg

sometimes you get some like this (which would actually be nice if the camera could focus better on burst mode, can't blame OH too much for that)

P1010567_zps6783b485.jpg

So we were second out of only two clear rounds so no great result BUT we did win chocolate which I gave to my glamorous assistant for his help so that is good. Given what a horrible year I have had horse wise, longer actually in truth, it was nice to go out and pootle around with zero complications and I ended the day with a big, totally cheesy grin. Could have stayed for a bigger class but it looked like rain and I am fair weather so we quite whilst we were ahead!

P1010580_zpsc63db3f8.jpg

Very grateful to all the lovely people in my life who have cheered me up and stopped me giving up. I feel much more like myself again these days so next time we go out we will jump some proper jumps I think :)

Would give you all some chocolate out of OH's stash but it's all gone already and as I am on a diet I haven't anything else to offer besides broccoli. :p Well done if you got to the end of such a dull post :D

Last edited by a moderator:

3Beasties

Visit site
Fab report, really enjoyed reading that!

I didn't realise you had a new beasty in your life, think I must have missed what happened to your other two :(

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Great report :)

Sorry to hear you've had a bad year, 13 is only lucky for some, I've had a fairly average 3 years with horses, hoping 3 is a charm and my horse will stay sound next year. :)

Jesstickle

Visit site
3Bs I downsized to one as two was too much (sold BH) and then Nitty and I just sort of came unravelled in a horrible mess of nerves and panic attacks. Was all a bit of a muddle really and I tried quite hard to fix it (harder than I should have probably) but I just couldn't ride her in any meaningful sense :( Then I had a bit more of a sorry story with the next model and then I got to where I am now.

This lovely chap is on loan for the winter from a friend whilst I decide what I might want to do long term :)

O, and I apologise for my VPL :eek: I have no idea how to avoid (without resorting to dental floss pants which then show my cellulite) it so if anyone wants to suggest a solution please feel free!

vallin

Visit site
Kermy! (In no way been casually stalking you on fb due to my currently very boring life :p ) Glad things are working out for you pony-wise, where are you competing at next? Could finally take those photos I said I'd take nearly two years ago :p
x

Jesstickle

Visit site
I don't know V. I might go back to the Jays on the 29th and I might go to CWA on the 11th as well potentially. Assuming all goes well (not a given, the luck I have!) of course.

LJR- I don't ride him. I just sit and he takes himself around. Not even joking. He is the sweetest, most genuine horse I have ever met. He's probably worth twice his weight in gold to a lot of people. He's such a gent :)

vallin

Visit site
Ooo, fancy picking me up on your way to CWA, am currently riding a horse that could do with some ring practice :p remind me nearer the time and I will come along with the camera! :)

Jesstickle

Visit site
If I can persuade arseache to get in the trailer with the partition in I can pick you up! I haven't attempted it yet, easier to just let him have the whole thing!

Lolo

Visit site
Seam free M&S pants are good I find, for avoiding a VPL. Some people claim they give wedgies, but you just have to size up if you're on the cusp.

He looks grand, such a sweetie- you've had an utterly crap time and he seems like the perfect antidote to it all :)

Jesstickle

Visit site
To be fair TFF I think you may have had a worse year than me. I didn't require hospitilisation beyond an x-ray after all :eek:

Lolo, I will look at them. I think what I actually need is cycling shorts or something. I have rather an ample bottom (which I usually quite like in fairness) which means things tend to cut in a bit at the top of my thighs. If they went down to my knees then they would stop on a slightly thinner part of me! How sexy am I?! Also OH could stop taking photos of my arse which would help. Single track mind that boy :p

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
To be fair TFF I think you may have had a worse year than me. I didn't require hospitilisation beyond an x-ray after all :eek:

Nah, I only got a bit of time off with delightful crutches ;) - its the horse issues that were a bit similar from Sept last yr, when I lost BF & then the real probs began.
Still humming & hawing whether to keep FLF in the spring (have this option for another year) or to get my own Fuzzy.....

Keep at it missy - more reports please :)

PolarSkye

Visit site
I really enjoyed reading that lovely report - especially your big cheesy grin at the end :). So nice to hear you sounding more like yourself after what's been an utterly ***** time.

As TFF says, more reports please :D.

P

Jesstickle

Visit site
I look like a ferret when I pull that face :\ I should try and smile more like a normal person :eek:

Spring is still a long way of TFF. Plenty of time to decide. I do like current fuzzy though. She looks luffly.

I will buy something, I just have to decide what the something is really. Lovely as K is I do think if he was mine forever I would find him a little dull so I don't know whether to have a 5yo or something older or something out of training or what really. Still, I find these things sort of work themselves out given enough time so what will be will be :)

nic85

Visit site
Yay to OH fabby photo skills!! lol. Well done, doesn't matter how big the fences are, Im aiming for a few clear round next summer with my girl and I expect them to be around the 60cm mark lol

As for VPL I always wear tights under my jods ( White or beige jods) as I find they ( the jods) are completely unflattering and show everything you have to the world :p

Jesstickle

Visit site
Hmm. tights. Hadn't really thought of that. They are very unflattering unless you are a tiny showjumping type with a teeny butt ( I am clearly not!)

vallin

Visit site
Honestly, you'll have to come and try clover, you'll love her (she's currently spending the winter hunting, doing unaffiliated comps and generally being very cute!) and pretty sure she'll be for sale come spring!