Tell me about AES horses

Birker2020

Visit site
I'm going to view a horse on Sunday and its an AES horse (Billy Congo out of an Irish mare) bred and I'm very excited as it looks just what I'm looking for, right height/age/experience/colour/type.

But I must admit I have never heard of AES. Can someone tell me what it is please, its my understanding it's European and British bloodlines, but is it in particular Irish bloodlines too?

I assume if a horse is AES registered it has undergone a futurity in it's younger days. Is this right?

Thanks for your help.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I'm no expert but isn't it just a stud book that isn't for a particular breed?

I have one registered with AES who definitely didn't do futurity :p I nearly registered her foal with them as they are so cheap and easy for passporting but opted for a different studbook who had approved the sire.
they may be in the main or auxiliary studbook depending on whether the dam and sire were AES registered/graded or not

LouisCat

Visit site
AES are just a stud book. You can register absolutely any breed/type of horse with them. If both parents are known they can go in the main studbook and if only one side is known they can go in the auxiliary stud book ?

EnduroRider

Visit site
My homebred (Selle Francais x Arab) is registered with AES as his sire was AES graded so it was an easy paper trail to complete. His passport is then over stamped by the AHS as a part bred too so there may be something else to prove breeding in the passport of the horse you are viewing.

TheMule

Visit site
AES is a pretty standard stud book to register a UK born foal with- it's scarily easy to register a foal there, record it’s breeding with no double checking (no DNA confirmation)
Billy Congo crosses well on Irish mares so it could be a nice horse

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
AES is a pretty standard stud book to register a UK born foal with- it's scarily easy to register a foal there, record it’s breeding with no double checking (no DNA confirmation)
So no guarantee that the stated parentage is genuine?

Wouldn't a Billy Congo offspring be eligible for a more robust studbook?

ETA I'm a breeding novice, but even I have heard of the Billy stud.

TheMule

Visit site
So no guarantee that the stated parentage is genuine?

Wouldn't a Billy Congo offspring be eligible for a more robust studbook?

ETA I'm a breeding novice, but even I have heard of the Billy stud.

Exactly- you have to supply a covering certificate but that is it. Most people don’t really care that much about stud books in the UK because we don’t have a proper mare/ stallion grading and foal evaluation system. You can register with whoever you like- some people register dressage bred youngsters with the continental stud books but that has got harder with Brexit.

Birker2020

Visit site
Billy Congo crosses well on Irish mares so it could be a nice horse
Thanks I hope so. It has Furioso and Joost bloodlines which is what my previous horse whose Grandsire was Nimmerdor had in her bloodlines.
I am hoping its a the one for me, but its the first one I've seen so I'm not getting my hopes up.

ihatework

Visit site
It’s just a British sporthorse studbook. Lots of horses are eligible to be registered under it, and it doesn’t give you any real clue of the bloodlines, you need to check out the individual horse. Seems to be a studbook most popular with the sj types.

As for the horse you are going to see - judge on individual merits. Although I’d be cautious of a BC as a true amateurs horse, they can have a bit of an opinion on life.

Birker2020

Visit site
It’s just a British sporthorse studbook. Lots of horses are eligible to be registered under it, and it doesn’t give you any real clue of the bloodlines, you need to check out the individual horse. Seems to be a studbook most popular with the sj types.

As for the horse you are going to see - judge on individual merits. Although I’d be cautious of a BC as a true amateurs horse, they can have a bit of an opinion on life.
Yes I will, but as long as he will jump fillers confidently, is good to hack alone and has a good temparment I'm half way there.