Tell me about Irish draughts

Asha

Visit site
lol, now I am wracking my brain to figure out who you are - and which one Pip is. Because I've bred quite a few with that breeding. As an example - the pic of mare & foal above - mare is by Raj ex Little Macha, and foal is by Archie.

Shame on you for not recognising her in my photo 😂😂 it’s Indigo Morning Star . Is that her mum and sister in your photo ?

HiPo'sHuman

Visit site
I love ID's they are by far the best amatuer all round horse you can buy. I bred a filly by Amorous Archie out of an unregistered mare so can't grade her. She has done well as a small. I also had a HW pure ID by Embla George x Colman mare. He was a stunning show horse, 18h and floated like a dressage horse

24ph2wy.jpg

Wow! If I ever got a horse (instead of a Highland) THIS is what I'd have.

spacefaer

Visit site
I love the fact that they are all so different, but that you can work out their potential temperament and abilities from the Irish bloodlines.
I had a lad by Fast Silver - like nearly all FS horses, he was good looking, but not overly athletic, and a very sensible, serious chap who was a very safe hunter.
I've currently got a Gort Free Hero (who is Grade A) who jumps like a warmblood - hindend action over a fence to die for. He's going to be a serious jumper - possibly do some working hunters - and a horse for big country. Not a bad bone in his body, but a definite chestnut temperament!
My Crosstown Dancer is liver chestnut (not many that aren't!) and has the front of a CD horse. I'm hoping to show him this summer - he's got the most sensible temperament, but also has the CD desire to show off.

Mule

Visit site
Erm, that rather depends on what you want to do with the horses you own though, doesn't it? I live in Ireland, don't do Irish-y things with my horses and wouldn't have any use at all for an Irish Draught. If I wanted to hunt and do gallopy jumpy things for fun and entertainment, then yes a good Irish horse would be wonderful for that. Personally I find them a bit.....thick.
My crafty old ID mare would stand on your foot with a very large hoof if she heard such blasphemy!

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Oh I really want an ID now. I'm sure The Beast is one but her breeding isn't recorded so I don't know. But I want a "proper" one or a proper ISH.

spacefaer

Visit site
Oh I really want an ID now. I'm sure The Beast is one but her breeding isn't recorded so I don't know. But I want a "proper" one or a proper ISH.

What do you call a proper ISH? Most ISHs nowadays have warmblood breeding and very little draught. The traditional ISH is a IDxTB but they are fewer in number. Love a proper halfbred, but I wouldn't be interested in the modern ISH - you don't know what you are getting in terms of the cross in the same way as the purebreds.

I've got a lovely horse by a coloured Dutch stallion out of a traditionally bred IDxTB mare. He's great but not nearly as straightforward as the RIDs.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
To me a proper ISH is TB x ID. The old boy was one. He wasn't straightforward but was a very smart, useful sort of horse.

sport horse

Visit site
Erm, that rather depends on what you want to do with the horses you own though, doesn't it? I live in Ireland, don't do Irish-y things with my horses and wouldn't have any use at all for an Irish Draught. If I wanted to hunt and do gallopy jumpy things for fun and entertainment, then yes a good Irish horse would be wonderful for that. Personally I find them a bit.....thick.

So glad there is at least one other person who agrees with me! We used to breed part bred draughts. They were without doubt some of the most difficult young horses that I have ever handled and that would be acceptable had they had one ounce of talent! I now breed warmbloods and they all compete in show jumping up to international level. I actively avoid anything with even the tiniest hint of ID blood. Sorry!

Mule

Visit site
What do you call a proper ISH? Most ISHs nowadays have warmblood breeding and very little draught. The traditional ISH is a IDxTB but they are fewer in number. Love a proper halfbred, but I wouldn't be interested in the modern ISH - you don't know what you are getting in terms of the cross in the same way as the purebreds.

I've got a lovely horse by a coloured Dutch stallion out of a traditionally bred IDxTB mare. He's great but not nearly as straightforward as the RIDs.
To be fair, in Ireland at least there are still lots of traditionally bred ISH. You can get them with whatever percentage of draught you want. Mine is 50% TB and 50% ID.

Mule

Visit site
So glad there is at least one other person who agrees with me! We used to breed part bred draughts. They were without doubt some of the most difficult young horses that I have ever handled and that would be acceptable had they had one ounce of talent! I now breed warmbloods and they all compete in show jumping up to international level. I actively avoid anything with even the tiniest hint of ID blood. Sorry!
Sacrilege :p
Look at all the ISH in the top rankings at badminton. They all have ID blood and they're the best eventers in the world. The ISH has been the number 1 studbook in eventing for years.

sport horse

Visit site
Sacrilege :p
Look at all the ISH in the top rankings at badminton. They all have ID blood and they're the best eventers in the world. The ISH has been the number 1 studbook in eventing for years.

Do not confuse ISH with Irish Draughts. A huge proportion of the ISH horses are either full or a high percentage warmblood.

Orchard14

Visit site
It’s sad that warmblood x’s are taking the ISH name. If it isn’t a traditional IH or TB it isn’t on our home farm - we have about 22 (last time I counted) TIHs at home all recognised with the shamrock next to their name on the breed registry a lot have the popular King of Diamonds, Clover Hill, Cruising, Puissance, Milestone, Pride of Shaunlara, Crewman, Master Imp lines among others. Puissance is my favourite stallion, he tends to come out with the real firecrackers. I have 4 of my own horses kept separately, 3 of which are TISH’s, one is an imported warmblood (KWPNxOldenburg). So very familiar with Irish horses and I’ve honestly never met a thick one. Not necessarily the worlds smartest horses either but god help us if they were! Lovers of the TIH please follow and support the Traditional Irish Horse Association to raise their profile and see some of their fantastic achievements in sport.

Goldenstar

Visit site
It’s still possible to buy traditional ISH ( with no warmblood) and you will see them marketed as such .
I have two ID’s the traditional type not the leggier sport type which I don’t admire you can’t beat the ID for a weight carrring hunter .
I have two ISH one the traditional type being TB with splash of traditional Irish coloured cob he’s 16 hands tough strong with great limbs and feet if you going to be unkind to him he’s got a touch too much of the cob in the neck but he’s a great stamp of a small competition horse with a good brain for learning .
The other is more of the usual type of ISH you get today by Contendo ( silver medal Olympician a warmblood ) dam, a show jumper by Cruising who has Clover Hill as a grand sire he’s very different to the first horse he’s got a great jump and he’s really very easy for his breeding he would a lot of jobs .
I am not a huge fan of ID / TB cross while the best ones can be really lovely too many have odd conformation and dodgy temperaments .

mle22

Visit site
This our pure bred ID mare - one of the smartest horses I’ve come across!

Attachments

• 7F463024-D1F2-4FBE-87E2-AD289E01BF2B.jpeg
    7F463024-D1F2-4FBE-87E2-AD289E01BF2B.jpeg
    119.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 7B2EED55-BF62-4C68-BA7E-4DCBF313C4B9.jpeg
    7B2EED55-BF62-4C68-BA7E-4DCBF313C4B9.jpeg
    164.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 4F787A89-A9CB-48F5-AB0B-BD9D4D2F0DD1.jpeg
    4F787A89-A9CB-48F5-AB0B-BD9D4D2F0DD1.jpeg
    86.9 KB · Views: 24

Mule

Visit site
Do not confuse ISH with Irish Draughts. A huge proportion of the ISH horses are either full or a high percentage warmblood.
Very few are full warmbloods. Some are by a warmblood out of an ISH mare. There's an awful lot of traditional ones doing very well at top level and of course they make the best amateurs horse. And naturally the traditional ones have a good dollop of Irish draught.

GTRJazz

Visit site
My boy ran straight into a gate he could have easily jumped, not been chased just did not want to load, strong and stubborn I would describe the breed as but quite brave.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
My boy ran straight into a gate he could have easily jumped, not been chased just did not want to load, strong and stubborn I would describe the breed as but quite brave.

I think you prove that they are quite smart - and can quickly learn what they can get away with. Thankfully, their 'smartness' means they CAN be trained, even after things have gone wrong that were not their fault. I have had two (both mares) come back - one after 6 months (the owner didn't even want her money back - just wanted rid) and the other after two years. Both had turned into buckjumpers! The one took 2 months for her damaged wither (ill-fitting saddle) to heal and then was quickly back to little Miss Perfect and has already won dressage tests for her new owner. The other needed a bi more than JUST treatment for severe hid gut ulcers - she had to be taught it no longer hurt to use her right hind properly and that she COULD go forward without it hurting.

Asha

Visit site
I wouldn't describe them as thick either, trainable, forgiving and willing yes, but thick no. My 3 IDs all learnt pretty damn quick where the feed bins are, and also how to open the door and turn the light on. Show them food,and they will show you how smart they are

jaquelin

Visit site
We bought our current one as a 3 YO, now 11. I would disagree, re thick. But stubborn, yes, and a bit “make me” Pic below. Sire is Cork Arthur & dam sire is All The Diamonds. His ID sister qualified for Badminton Grassroots last year. Typical eventer has 1/4 -1/2 ID, certain stallions predominate. (I jump judge at BE, so plenty of time on my hands to review breeding!) Cork Arthur below, then mine.

Attachments

• 15E6F362-6C79-4048-A5B4-4DF57ABEB701.jpeg
    15E6F362-6C79-4048-A5B4-4DF57ABEB701.jpeg
    36.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 799F90EE-A07F-4074-8DF0-A44704606D40.jpeg
    799F90EE-A07F-4074-8DF0-A44704606D40.jpeg
    330.2 KB · Views: 17

irishdraft

Visit site
I have 2 IDS traditional breeding no warm blood I have great fun on them as all rounders and hunters . It wouldn't even cross my mind to describe them as thick but maybe I'm biased 😀