Tell me about modern stirrup irons please

daydreamer

Visit site
I've always just used old fashioned stirrup irons, either peacock or the elastic band ones and have been perfectly happy with them.

But then the stirrups on my share horse's saddle got swapped to some fancy free jump stirrups and they did actually make it easier to sit in the correct position on his (very uncomfortable) saddle.

I'm currently doing exam board marking to earn some extra cash and want to use some of it to treat myself and buy some fancy stirrups for my youngsters saddle (which I'm still waiting to be made :confused:).

So please can anyone tell me about modern stirrups?

What are they supposed to do?!
What are the differences?
Do they work?
Are they safe?

Thankyou!

chaps89

Visit site
One share horse has the Sprenger stirrups on his saddle, I find them uncomfortable somehow - just too heavy and wobbly and make my ankles ache a bit.
Other share horse has the acavello ones, I was sceptical but I do like riding in them, I don’t notice the stirrups if that makes sense and nothing aches after riding. I can’t say why but I do like them.
On my own saddle I had the bent safety irons and tbh they were fine.

asmp

Visit site
Another one for Acavello Alupros. Damaged ankle doesn’t ache in them and they have the safety aspect.

HorseMaid

Visit site
I've got a pair of Acavallo Opera ones, I'm not sure they're the most fashionable but I find them comfortable and I can't remember the last time I lost a stirrup!

Goldie's mum

Visit site
I've always just used old fashioned stirrup irons, either peacock or the elastic band ones and have been perfectly happy with them.

But then the stirrups on my share horse's saddle got swapped to some fancy free jump stirrups and they did actually make it easier to sit in the correct position on his (very uncomfortable) saddle.

I'm currently doing exam board marking to earn some extra cash and want to use some of it to treat myself and buy some fancy stirrups for my youngsters saddle (which I'm still waiting to be made :confused:).

So please can anyone tell me about modern stirrups?

What are they supposed to do?!
What are the differences?
Do they work?
Are they safe?

Thankyou!
Share horse has safety stirrups with a curved leather toe piece. I find them very comfy and they hang straight but they don't seem to be adjustable so I don't know what they'd be like if you had longer feet. Sorry tried to look up the name but couldn't find any, could only see the ones with a plastic mesh toe cage, (which look very flimsy to me but I've never tried them).

ecb89

Visit site
I’ve got techs. I love them. Previously I used sprenger flexi stirrups, not the offset now balance ones, I always had trouble keeping my stirrups and thought I was just rubbish at riding. Since changing the techs my leg position has improved and I no longer lose my stirrups.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
Following with interest. On my event saddle I have acavello safety stirrups, love them. I need some different ones on my dressage saddle as after riding in the acavello ones with the lively wide tread I'm now uncomfortable in my normal ones on dressage saddle. Any recommendations on wide tread ones that won't break the bank please?

Horseysheepy

Visit site
I'm not keen on the modern irons, the bright colours particularly. I'm just a bit old fashioned and prefer stainless steel bent irons and I know they work, from experience. I'm always a bit sceptical to try new things.

In fact all these bright colours on horses and riders can often distract away from the beauty of the horse.

I think I should be been born in another era!
I love looking at old photos from decades ago, simple tack, plain colours etc.

Sorry OP, not much help on your original question on modern stirrups!!.

daydreamer

Visit site
I'm not keen on the modern irons, the bright colours particularly. I'm just a bit old fashioned and prefer stainless steel bent irons and I know they work, from experience. I'm always a bit sceptical to try new things.

Sorry OP, not much help on your original question on modern stirrups!!.

No, I am the same! I wouldn't be considering it except the free jump ones really did make a difference to how comfortable it was to ride my share horse and how well I was sitting. The ones on his saddle allow the stirrup leathers to lie truly flat rather than twisting because of irons and I think it is that that makes the difference.

Horseysheepy

Visit site
No, I am the same! I wouldn't be considering it except the free jump ones really did make a difference to how comfortable it was to ride my share horse and how well I was sitting. The ones on his saddle allow the stirrup leathers to lie truly flat rather than twisting because of irons and I think it is that that makes the difference.

Interesting.

You see I do wonder about my achy knees and whether these new modern stirrups would help.
I tend to kick my feet out of the stirrups mid ride and straighten my legs which helps relieve the aches a little.

TheHairyOne

Visit site
I got a pair of Acavallo's given to me for christmas, as i was never going to spend that on myself as how much difference can a pair of strirrup make right? :) I am not going back to normal stainless steel ones ever again!

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I have a brand new ultra fancy Flex on Safe On irons that arrived the day I had my accident 2 years ago, sitting in their box looking very pretty ever since. I don't really believe I shall ever ride again now, but a tiny bit of me says hang on to them just in case, along with a roomful of other tack and clothing gathering dust.

I tried several others and my favourites where the Sprangers bow balance, but they just didnt work on the saddle I had bought for the horse I had at that time, but did help with knee and ankle pain.

Squeak

Visit site
This is what worries me.

I don't trust anything other than bent leg irons.

Bent legs would be less reliable than some of the modern safety ones imo. If you fall in a certain way they can still trap your foot. I used them for years and was skeptical of the modern ones but have now swapped to the acavallo safety ones for my jump saddle.

I also have the acavallo opera ones for my dressage saddle and I do find the wider, grippier stirrups much better. I go for them in black so that they're fairly colour neutral.

Sealine

Visit site
I've had the Sprenger Bow Balance stirrups a few years now. Bought them second hand as my dodgy knees got very painful if I was in the saddle for hours. They did solve the problem but I only hack these days and I just take my feet out of my stirrups if I need to. I've no idea about any of the other stirrups that have come onto the market in the last few years.

eggs

Visit site
I have a ruptured cruciate ligament in my left knee (it was reconstructed many years ago but ruptured again last year :( ) and had broken my right ankle very badly so now only have limited movement in it and have found that Flex-ons have been a game changer for me (although I didn't go for bright colours). I can now ride without discomfort and don't hobble around after I dismount.

My friend thought I was mad to spend so much on a pair of stirrups but after riding in them promptly went out and bought a pair for herself.

McFluff

Visit site
I have the flex on ones (there is a release version called safe on, but I didn't need that for dressage). I trialed them and thought they were nice (and as they didn't mark the leather the way my Jins did) I ordered some. When I sent them back to wait for my new ones, I really didn't like going back to my old stirrups. They felt horrid (yet had been comfy before). So for me I noticed the difference going back. They definitely help leg/ankle position (for me) and the shock absorption does appear to do something. I went for black, so they aren't too in your face colour wise (the test ones were bright green!).

daydreamer

Visit site
Thanks very much everyone. I have looked up all the ones people have suggested and tried to put some of the main claims for each. Some manufacturers are better at marketing blurb than others!

Not sure which ones I will go for yet, I do want something that will be very safe and I like the idea of ones which allow the stirrup leathers to lie flat against the saddle instead of having to twist. It would be nice if there was a way to try before you buy as some of them are eye-wateringly expensive!!

Acavallo Arco Evolution AluPro stirrup
certified high-grade aluminium material, much lower than the average weight of standard steel stirrups.
The tread cover is made of stainless steel, with long horizontal holes. Design prevents the accumulation of sand and dirt, and guarantees an optimal grip.
The 5° inclination helps the riders to assume the correct posture, relieving tension in ankles, calves, knees and hips.

Acavallo Arena Aluplus aluminium stirrup
Aluminium so lightweight and extremely durable.
stainless steel protects the tread from corrosion, Long holes in the tread prevent sand and dirt accumulations so that the gripping effect is not compromised
The opening of the stress-actuated locking and release mechanism is located a centimeter higher from the tread to ensure that the foot cannot slip out laterally by mistake and to prevent sand and dirt from delaying the opening action of the arm in case of an emergency.
five degree inclination of the tread helps riders to assume the correct posture, relieving tension in their ankles, calves, knees and hips.

Acavallo Opera
special patented loop construction allows the stirrup to adhere to the saddle flap, avoiding friction between the leg and the stirrup, for a more correct, comfortable and secure ride.
The large stirrup pad in stainless steel gives better grip and relieves tension in the hips, knees, ankles and calves.
Made of composite material in injection

Safe-On
Frame made of spring steel, manufactured to increase strength and longevity.
Safety: Outer branch of stirrup opens to release the foot when the rider’s weight acts against it.
Treads rest on the elastomer springs to provide a better connection to your horse and increased comfort.
Footbed inclined (to encourage heels down), flat or endurance
Offset and skewed slot for stirrup leather to encourage optimum leg position, thus improve the posture of the rider.

Sprenger bow balance
superb strength and enhanced security
pivoting into 4 directions simultaneously
tread with two types of rubber hardness for a better grip
softens the impact on cartilage and ligaments
wide tread for a perfect balance
improved leg position

Tech stirrups
Aluminium so lightweight
Safety mechanism – outside arm can open

Free jump
Safety Stirrups with flexible outer branch which enables easy release in case of accident or injury.
designed to promote better foot positioning.
improved stability and comfort.
Anti-slip tread surface

Freejump Air'S Stirrups - 30 Oriented Eye
air cushion elastomer sole for shock absorption
30° oriented eye to help them hang better
flat or a 10° inclination on the footbed.
polyamide headband which is designed to trigger in case of high pressure to help facilitate the release of the foot if necessary

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
can't help with your choice OP but interested to hear from Flex- on or Safe-on users, are they actually flexy? i don't get on with any bendy stirrups due to my excessively bendy feet and ankles. I have had Jins for yonks which i find comfortable but current kooky ride has had me re-thinking a need for safety stirrups :oops:

My stirrup bars sit away from the saddle to the extent that i think my leathers would slide off in anything except 100% normal riding but you never know :/

McFluff

Visit site
can't help with your choice OP but interested to hear from Flex- on or Safe-on users, are they actually flexy? i don't get on with any bendy stirrups due to my excessively bendy feet and ankles. I have had Jins for yonks which i find comfortable but current kooky ride has had me re-thinking a need for safety stirrups :oops:

My stirrup bars sit away from the saddle to the extent that i think my leathers would slide off in anything except 100% normal riding but you never know :/

I changed from Jin to flex-on. I don’t find them noticeably flexy. They feel secure and easy to use. I hired mine for 2 weeks, so that is maybe an option?
My desire to change was to get away from the marks that the aluminium stirrups left on my boots and leathers. The flex on stay so clean and don't mark boots or leathers.

ecb89

Visit site
Thanks very much everyone. I have looked up all the ones people have suggested and tried to put some of the main claims for each. Some manufacturers are better at marketing blurb than others!

Not sure which ones I will go for yet, I do want something that will be very safe and I like the idea of ones which allow the stirrup leathers to lie flat against the saddle instead of having to twist. It would be nice if there was a way to try before you buy as some of them are eye-wateringly expensive!!

Acavallo Arco Evolution AluPro stirrup
certified high-grade aluminium material, much lower than the average weight of standard steel stirrups.
The tread cover is made of stainless steel, with long horizontal holes. Design prevents the accumulation of sand and dirt, and guarantees an optimal grip.
The 5° inclination helps the riders to assume the correct posture, relieving tension in ankles, calves, knees and hips.

Acavallo Arena Aluplus aluminium stirrup
Aluminium so lightweight and extremely durable.
stainless steel protects the tread from corrosion, Long holes in the tread prevent sand and dirt accumulations so that the gripping effect is not compromised
The opening of the stress-actuated locking and release mechanism is located a centimeter higher from the tread to ensure that the foot cannot slip out laterally by mistake and to prevent sand and dirt from delaying the opening action of the arm in case of an emergency.
five degree inclination of the tread helps riders to assume the correct posture, relieving tension in their ankles, calves, knees and hips.

Acavallo Opera
special patented loop construction allows the stirrup to adhere to the saddle flap, avoiding friction between the leg and the stirrup, for a more correct, comfortable and secure ride.
The large stirrup pad in stainless steel gives better grip and relieves tension in the hips, knees, ankles and calves.
Made of composite material in injection

Safe-On
Frame made of spring steel, manufactured to increase strength and longevity.
Safety: Outer branch of stirrup opens to release the foot when the rider’s weight acts against it.
Treads rest on the elastomer springs to provide a better connection to your horse and increased comfort.
Footbed inclined (to encourage heels down), flat or endurance
Offset and skewed slot for stirrup leather to encourage optimum leg position, thus improve the posture of the rider.

Sprenger bow balance
superb strength and enhanced security
pivoting into 4 directions simultaneously
tread with two types of rubber hardness for a better grip
softens the impact on cartilage and ligaments
wide tread for a perfect balance
improved leg position

Tech stirrups
Aluminium so lightweight
Safety mechanism – outside arm can open

Free jump
Safety Stirrups with flexible outer branch which enables easy release in case of accident or injury.
designed to promote better foot positioning.
improved stability and comfort.
Anti-slip tread surface

Freejump Air'S Stirrups - 30 Oriented Eye
air cushion elastomer sole for shock absorption
30° oriented eye to help them hang better
flat or a 10° inclination on the footbed.
polyamide headband which is designed to trigger in case of high pressure to help facilitate the release of the foot if necessary

Westleighs saddlery in Essex (also online) let you try safe ons

JGC

Visit site
I have EDS and various hip/knee weirdness.

I currently have the Arena Alupro for jumping and hacking (Alfajumps on my dressage saddle - I desperately want these in the safety version, but can't find any second-hand yet). I really like them, good stability, wide footbed.

I tried the Safe-Ons and found they had a bit too much flex for me. I'd previously had the Sprenger Bow Balance, which had far too much movement for my hypermobility but I sold them to a friend with sciatica who loves them.

There are places that hire them out for trial - well worth it as very individual and depends on the saddle, horse too!

If I ride in plain metal stirrups now I literally hobble around for 10 minutes after getting off.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
This is what worries me.

I don't trust anything other than bent leg irons.
I used to hunt in bent irons, did lots on them. Kept them for 'going out' and the flexi black Royal Riders for home and fun stuff (I like the RR's, but not suitable for showing)

However, 3.5 yrs ago we had a mishap jumping a bold WHP course - where we took off a little late and on landing my foot got stuck in the off side one. Completed the rest of the round and then physically had to pull the stirrup off.
They are now sitting sadly in the corner of my tack bedroom, I'll not use them again.

beatrice

Visit site

I have both Flex on and Jins and if i had to chose, would have the Flex on. To me they don't feel flexi like the Sprenger bow balance, more springy/have a bit of cushioning. Mine have the flat tread rather than incline just not sure now that impacts any flexi feeling.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I've been a saddle fitter for 13 years and never recommended specific irons. It's incredibly individual.

I see too much tread grip in many of them, safety issues in some...and design flaws. I don't think any expensive iron should have the slot for the leather at the same angle as the tread, 30-90 degrees is much better depending on the rider and the activity. A broad tread without too much grip. A safety breakaway that doesn't in itself cause issues with things getting caught on the arm of it.

Many are too lightweight, especially for dressage. Hinges cause instability - if you have knee and ankle issues then there are much better ways to help them. I spend half my life trying to stabilise riders, it's way more important than all this gimmicky rubbish realises.

And many of them are SO expensive!

The only ones I recommend are some I came across in the last year and like them so much I'm stocking them (but don't sell them mail order!), Safestyle. Have been around for quite a while, a small company with no budget for advertising, two designs, three sizes, and £99!

https://www.safestyle.nl
https://equineink.com/2018/07/24/safestyle-stirrups-review/ - showing both types

Last edited: