Dressage Tell me about My Quest/Team Quest

Bernster

Visit site
4880520B-48B3-4FE2-9608-2F3F354ED09C.jpeg
I’m thinking of signing up for this as part of a new team that’s being put together. I’ve only ever done unaff stuff so I’d welcome thoughts, tips, experiences from those who’ve done this or have helpful info on it. I’ve read the BD rules but they’re pretty dry so I was hoping for some personal info from you lovely lot please - is the aim to do as many comps as possible or is it better to be picky and aim for the better scores as only the higher scores count? I’m assuming if I’m doing the team one I may as well also do my own my quest at the same time? What’s the standard like compared to unaff? Any good sources of info outside of the BD rule book? That kind of thing...TIA.

I’d be doing Prelim level. Pic added just for a bit of colour!

Last edited:

Wimbles

Visit site
I've done some of the Team Quest and My Quest with my RoR team and I must say that even though I'm not a massive dressage fan, I have really enjoyed doing it this way.

Definitely do both if you go to a venue. For us, we can use the scores for other National qualifications too so it's really good.

I've found the standard to be really quite mixed. I've gone with my very novicey tb and never felt completely hopeless compared to everyone but there are also some really good competitors to inspire you to do better.

It's sad but I really like not wearing a jacket as it makes me so much more relaxed!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
There's a separate section on the website for Quest, just in case you hadn't seen that

https://www.britishdressage.co.uk/competitions/team_quest

I helped a friend get started a couple of years ago, she really enjoyed it. I think the standard was broadly in line with bronze and silver sections at "normal" BD, so some established combinations and some more novicey ones. She didn't do the champs but did use her score sheets to qualify for the Welsh dressage championships at Mount Ballan in August which was a great show, I went too :)

Bernster

Visit site
Thx both - have just done another perusal of that section, cheers MP.

I suspect it will make more sense once I actually make a start and then follow the results on the leader boards. Not that I’m in danger of hitting any such boards, mind you!

It’s likely to involve the same venues as I go to for unaff stuff so, apart from potentially being more organised and focussed on which dressage events I do, it should fit fine with my ‘normal’ schedule. And I get to have yet another set of matchy outfits haha.

oldie48

Visit site
I am doing team quest with Rose as a way of getting back into competing and also to have the support of being with other people as dressage can be very lonely. The team I have joined has been going for a while but no-one rides above prelim. I've got to do Novice because of Rose's points at Elementary but it does feel a good way to get started. I'll also do my quest if the novice test looks suitable. I just hoope someone hangs around for the novice tests!!

Julia0803

Visit site
We (well my son and cob) did my quest last year after we were recommended to give it a go on here. I wanted him to have more of a challenge than UA prelim but they were (are!) struggling with mediums so I didn’t feel they were ready for novice. They are a great halfway house between UA and ‘proper’ BD.

It was great!

They only count your top five scores so you can keep going if you think you can improve/had a bad test. I think for the over 21 leagues you’d probably have to go out at least five times whereas the u21s are less busy. We only decided we were doing it at the end of June so had just July and August to qualify. He went out three times and did well enough to qualify for the regionals with an average score of 70%.

We found they were fairly generously marked. He’d been scoring 68-76% earlier that summer at UA/PC- so fairly variable scores even tho the tests were fairly consistent.At quest he got 72, 70, 68 (lost two marks as I read the test wrong! Even called out and said, ‘are you sure???’ And I snapped back, ‘yes! Of course!’ My name was mud on the journey home ;) )

The regionals were marked more strictly. He was on for about 66/67% as a comparison (until he got a wrong lead in the canter work and didn’t change it and got two scores of 1, which meant he finished on 60.something) It was our first stay away show so obviously I have nothing to compare it to but I think it was run well.

The lady at BD who runs it was really helpful when I had questions and the scores went online quickly. We tended to see the same people chasing points at events and they were always friendly. I called for a few people and they leant him gloves when at one show we realised his were still in the box as he was about to be called in.

We have had a break from competing since then, went out last weekend and did an UA long arena prelim to get back in the swing of things, with a view to step up and have a go at UA novice (despite the iffy medium trot) and hopefully bronze BD prelim. So it helped us in terms of being a stepping stone in between UA and A.

We will probably have a go at prelim/novice level this year depending on what’s going on with getting a second/him outgrowing lovely cob.

ihatework

Visit site
Definitely go for it. There will be a right mix of standard from really quite novices to those that would hold their own at big BD. Whatever standard you are you will find it an encouraging atmosphere - the judges are instructed to be encouraging with their marking too

Bernster

Visit site
Thanks IHW. We’re probably a bit inexperienced compared to many but we’ve done a few dressage tests, and we get decent enough scores generally (high 60s to low 70s) so hopefully I won’t feel too out of my depth!

mavandkaz

Visit site
Go for it.
I did My Quest when me and my boy were starting out. It's a great half way house between unaff and proper BD.
The scoring is much more consistent then unaff and a bit stricter, but everyone is so friendly and welcoming it feels more like an RC event.
Only top 5 scores count but you can go out as many times as you like.
Leader board wise it will depend where you are e.g I am central region and there were 60+ people on the leaderboard, whereas Eastern region only had 18.
I did 6 events as didn't start til the June, but qualified for both prelim and novice regional final with around 18 points, so you don't need to be scoring 70%+ regularly to get there.
The regional had a proper championship feel to it and was a great experience.
There will be a real mix of people, some on flashy warmbloods, others on cobs, some just starting their journey. Remember it is only open to bronze riders so you won't get any pros.
And of course it was great to not have to wear show gear! 😊

smiggy

Visit site
I did team quest the year before last, it’s lovely to do stuff with a little group of friends on a regular basis and generally we found the judging very fair, especially as we were a native pony team.
We all rejoined last year but sadly gave up as despite promises from bd, there is still not a single venue offering quest in east or West Sussex. An hour plus trip for a dressage test at that level is a bit bonkers.
This year I will rejoin but aim for the native pony or cob championships where one can collect points from normal bd classes.

Bernster

Visit site
Good to know mavandkaz, thanks. I’m probably eastern region actually which sounds good if it stays fairly small. Most of the venues I go to anyway, although not regularly.

Shame you didn’t have many events smiggy.

Laroxes

Visit site
I'd definitely recommend giving it a go! I tried it last year as my young horse hadn't matured enough for eventing and it was something to work towards. The judging was consistent, the class prices the same as UA and everyone was really friendly.

The membership is great value, you can compete Into and Prelim BD and compete in the combined training series too included in the price.

I was lucky enough to make it through to the Regionals and then National Championships, it was great experience for us both.

Bernster

Visit site
Wow laroxes you did really well! What kind of scores were you getting, as interested to know what sort of level might get you to a regional or national? One can always dream!

horsesforcourses

Visit site
Yes, do it. I did it last year and got to the regionals in both team and individuals. I am an old showjumper, who has had to learn how to ride in a dressage saddle and sit on my backside. !! Its great fun being in a team. The support and friendliness at shows is there too. My first test, my horse tripped as he came in at A, and stumbled and scrambled up the centreline on his nose. The judges comments- What an entrance..!! but were so encouraging then on in, that it kept me perservering.
We did learn which centres marked harder, so if we were chasing My Quest percentages, we would steer clear until we had them. But its all swings and roundabouts, as you all meet up at Regionals anyway. Loved it so much, that i am now a Full BD member and trying for music qualifications as well as petplan. Good Luck and Enjoy.xx

nikicb

www.facebook.com
I've done My Quest for the past two years with Cassie. In 2017 we just did Prelim, and in 2018 we did both Prelim and Novice. We got through to the Regionals each time. In terms of the scores we got, they are pretty similar to the ones we get doing regular BD. For 2018 we ended up 7th on the leader board for Prelim (out of 120+ combinations - Central region is big!) and 17th for Novice (out of 65+ combinations). Our averages were 68.37% for Prelim and 65.59% for Novice. We placed at the regionals at both levels. I'm probably not going to do it in 2019 as we are no longer eligible for Prelim, so it's a lot of effort for just one test. Plus I want to focus on getting on with our music. I will still be taking my pony and his sharer for Intro classes. You should definitely give it a go - it's the perfect introduction to BD and you and F will certainly not look out of place. It's quite exciting watching the leaderboards shape up, especially in the final few weeks. Good luck! :) x

Bernster

Visit site
Thanks both! That's very encouraging. I'm sure BD set it up to generate new members and encourage people to go full affiliated, so it sounds like it's doing its job there. I might be similar to you niki in that I'll do only prelim 1st year and, if we enjoy it, I may go prelim and novice next year. And if I do team quest then I think that's 2 tests a day so worth the outing. It is a lot of effort, espec with a mucky grey, to just do 1.

I need to check if the test can be read out as I have a terrrrrrible memory in a test situation.

archiesmum

Visit site
I went to my first My Quest on Sunday and I would 110% say go for it! It was a nice step up for us from unaffiliated and so nice to not have to wear a jacket and actually be comfortable! 😂 We are only attempting the dizzy heights of intro due to my slowly diminishing canter-in-arena demons but I am hoping to also use the tests for Irish Draught Associate champs so check to see if there are other champs you can use the tests for, along with Quest :)

Bernster

Visit site
Interesting! How do you check out if you qualify for other stuff, is it on the bd website? F is an ID so he might be eligible!

Sprat

Visit site
Nope, Allenshill. What are you wearing? I quite like to wear a jacket and stock but I don't want to look over dressed!!!

I honestly have no idea. I'd quite like to plait but I don't know if that's standard?

Dependant on how cold it is I think I may just wear my usual competition get up, stock included!

oldie48

Visit site
I'll plait, Rose has a fine mane so it's quite quick and I need the practice. I'll wear my comp gear, it's been hanging around for too long, I struggled to compete my previous horse as he could be a bit tricky in the warm up, so it's nice to be able to get out and about with Rose. I'm going to make the most of it.

Bernster

Visit site
I also need the practice plating and F scrubs up well so despite the many hours it takes I was assuming we would go in full on comp mode. I won’t have team colours so prob also ride in normal comp gear.

I’m thinking of having a go early Feb. We won’t have done any unaff for ages so will be rusty! I don’t like the idea of having a ‘bad’ score for all the world to see but equally it’s suppposed to be fun and we need to start somewhere...