Tell me about your greyhounds....

Bug2007

Visit site
I have a six year old ex racing Greyhound called Clifford (Cliff) amoungst other names.....

He is a black with white points and he is the most amazing dog ever....we love him to bits he makes us laugh everyday with his funny antics and crazy ways. :rolleyes:

He is really well behaved, he is a little scared of his own shaddow at times but is getting loads better after the year and a half we have had him, he walks of the lead, well runs in huge circles round us, he is good with cats and small fluffies.

His fave toy is a door mat, the only thing he'll plat with other than a little stuffed pony toy my brother got me and he nicked it slobbered on it and buried it in the sofa for safe keeping. :D

Best dog i have ever known or owned, was unsure about a Greyhound, but now wouldn't have anything else and best of all they don't have that dog smell. :p

FestiveSpirit

Visit site
Yayyy another greyhound fan on the forum - welcome :):):):)

I've got three at the moment :)

Islay is 7 years old now, she is black with white points (the usual places, her paws, her chest and the very tip of her tail) and is going grey rapidly :eek: She has hardly any teeth left as she has had two major lots of dental work, hence me changing them all to a raw diet recently to try and avoid further problems :eek: She is the 'aloof' kind of greyhound who very much is in charge of the other two, but does her own thing in her own time when she feels like it :D At the moment she has a broken toe (that is what comes from crossing a Scottish stone wall at high speed when chasing a hare....) and she is milking it for all she is worth - the benefits include sleeping on my bed every night at the moment :D I've had her since May 2008, she came from GRWE and is an ex-racer who won races at Swindon and Oxford in her younger years :)

Flick is 3 and a bit now, she is white with black splotches and spots :) She is tiny for a greyhound, although she is "authentic" as she is tattooed - she is about 21" at the shoulder and she only weighs just over 21 kilos :eek: She is an absolute darling, she was found as a starvation case in Ireland as she had been dumped when she didnt grow big enough for racing :mad: She got taken into a pound there, then GRWE rescued her and brought her over to England before she was PTS :) I've had her since December 2008 (I lost my two oldies in that year, hence getting the others) and she has absolutely blossomed, she is fine about food now and is a joy to have around :) She is quite playful as she is younger, and I thought she would benefit from having another slightly younger dog to play with so......

Amy came along :D She is a whippet x greyhound and came from Cayla on here :) Basically Cayla posted photos of her and I nagged and nagged for several months until Cayla submitted and re-homed her to me :rolleyes: She is around 3 years old now, another black one with white points, and she is full of life and incredibly happy :) She plays well with Flick which is great, they are around the same size and get on very well :) I have had her since February this year (I think?) and am so glad I got her, she is lovely, mostly obedient :p, and she loves everyone on first sight and gives them lots of kisses if they get too close :D

I cant post any pics since I am at work, but they are in my signature if that shows up for you? The others on there are Jura (the brindle) who was my first rescue greyhound and Talisker (the fawn) who was my special rescue lurcher - I lost them in April and December 2008 respectively, and miss them still :(

Whoops I have got carried away as usual, I love talking greyhounds :D Do post some pics of your boy, we need more skinny dogs on here to counteract the spangle invasion :D

Bug2007

Visit site
LOL Cliff is going grey fast too on his face, he has the little bit of white on the end of his tail like Islay.....Can't see the photo and at the mo.....can't post any of Cliff as i'm also at work!!!!!!!! naughty us.....don't think yet today any soldiers have been administered. oops. :eek:

I will try and get some photos on here tonight of him......we live in a flat so can only have the one, he isn't very social with other dogs he won't be horrible just turns his head away and walks off like they aren't there.

He is my shaddow, loves my OH as well but he went to the field last nigth with him, to give him a run i was the otherside of the road poulticing the horses foot and he wouldn't move from the gate. lol

He follows me around the house and walks on my heels, hubby works nights Friday and Saturday so those nights he is on the bed, trying to share my pillow, all fine until he starts dreaming and kicking me......

Just think he is amazing, he jumped off a four foot walk out walking the other day, Marc called him as he'd gone down the wrong path he thought he'd run round, i closed my eyes i just knew he'd take the short cut. open joint wound on his wrist was the outcome....all healed now. We have the nickname Kamikaze Cliff for him, as he is a little accident prone, loves the attention though don't they when they have hurt themselves, he screams like mad until I cuddle him and tell him it's ok then he runs off and forgets about it. little monkey.

Love speaking to other Greyhound lovers, noone else understands what they are like until they have one...not like other dogs at all.

FrodoBeutlin

Visit site
Of course small Italians should count :D :D

But...but...how can there be no piccies yet :(

I have two (IGs), Florimell

28akor5.jpg

8wazv5.jpg

24ootnp.jpg

and Daphne who was born on May 30 :)

(far left in the pic below)
37jvq.jpg

and with her sister Dorigen
29xuq2s.jpg

Last edited:

georgie0

Visit site
ohhh, love them!
We hae Doodle, 9 yr old ex racer from LGT, who is the sweetest hound out. He is surgicaly attached to his sofa, only removing himself off it for food, the occasional stroll around the village or the possibility of a cat in the garden. They would be his weak point, to date he has very sadly polished off 2 puddy cats in the 5 years we have had him. He is very carefully watched now, as Dad says, 'There's life in the old buzzard yet!'
This is him;

archie.jpg

Then we have a very, very insane lurcher called Dave. he is 1/4 staffie and 3/4 Greyhound. Lovely, intellegent and mental! This is Dave;
dave.jpg

2 of them playing;
dogs.jpg

And one with the terrier (Mole);
archiemole.jpg

Sorry, get carried away!

FestiveSpirit

Visit site
Sorry I forgot that I had deleted my avatar and signature! Avatar is Talisker, the signature from left to right is Islay, Flick, Amy, Jura and Talisker :):)

monochroma

banni-whitemane.deviantart.com
Hehe, you asked for it.

This is Danny.

danny43.jpg

Danny is a 2 1/2 year old idiot...er, I mean lurcher. I don't know if he's greyhound x whippet/staffy or greyhound x greyhound/staffy but he's def. got bull in him somewhere. He's a GRWE boy that came to live with me and grumpy madam on august 11 of this year. Around 23-24" tts but I dunno for sure because he won't stand still. I do know that he takes greyhound-sized collars because he's got a big thick neck :D Weighed him today and he came in at a little over 24kg, which I think is about right because he lost a lot of weight when he had the sickies after getting into the leftover curry my father foolishly left out :eek: Can't say how he is off lead because I havn't tried him yet, can't find anywhere secure enough that doesn't have bloody sodding ramblers wandering about
icon8.gif

Anyway, given that it's not the best of photos (even if it is funny) here's one...er two more of the handsome chap.
danny04.jpg

danny28.jpg

And Carey, I had no idea that Flick was so small!

FestiveSpirit

Visit site
Awwww Danny is bootiful :D Yep Flick is teensy, she does make up for it in personality mind you :rolleyes: Even Islay is only a couple of inches bigger than her though :)

andraste

Visit site
Yay! I can't resist talking about my wee man. I got him when he was 1 and he'd already had a few homes. He had appalling manners but he's an absolute sweetheart now.

He has destroyed £££s of household stuff and eaten things as diverse as the family's Christmas turkey and an entire loaf of frozen bread but I couldn't love him more.

He's 8 now but still spins round the garden and local playing fields like an eejit. Mostly though, he's to be found sleeping which is why this is my favourite picture of him.

039.jpg

FestiveSpirit

Visit site
Ohhhhhhh absolutely gorgeous gorgeous pic Andraste :):):):) He is SO lovely :):):):)

And Georgie how could I have not commented on your lovely doglets, they are beautiful :):):):)

Mosh

Visit site
I have a greyhound! I have one!! We got Scoobie on 18th october 2008 and he came from my local rescue centre. We were originally looking for a small mixed breed and we came home with Scoobs who stands at about 29inches high and his weight has stablised at about 36kg so hes a fairly big boy! He is just over 2 1/2 years old. He isn't tattooed or any other markings so not entirely sure on his past but think he could have been a failed working dog. Possibly.

Hes quite lively for a greyhound as in he needs a good hours walk a day otherwise I have the greyhound olympics around my front room! He has issues with his tummy and are now slowly sorting it out (found an hypoallergenic food that he likes basically :p!) Scoobs can also be let of the lead in secure spaces but is not good with anything smaller than a staffie! He will tolerate going to dog shows though and has had a few successful attempts (first in biscuit catching, 7th out of 50 in most appealing :p!)

He likes to play a lot and is generally a rather naughty boy but can't really figure out if he is a bit stupid or quite clever. It varies between the two :p He is quite cuddly but on his own terms and is so much better than when we first got him when he was quite scared of..well everything. He is a much loved pet and I wouldn't be without him. He tolerates so much and lets me drag him to loads of places (like agility days out, greyhound walks, dog shows, to the yard where he makes friends with everyone, including the horses :p but the chickens we didn't get on with so well!)

Just a couple of piccies of him that people have all seen before :)
Scoobie007.jpg

Scoobie004.jpg

Scoobie002.jpg

EARSSS!
EARS.jpg

and his random square
Scoobie006.jpg

Brownmare

Visit site
We have the nickname Kamikaze Cliff for him, as he is a little accident prone, loves the attention though don't they when they have hurt themselves, he screams like mad until I cuddle him and tell him it's ok then he runs off and forgets about it. little monkey.

I had to laugh when i read this - it's Oscar to a T :rolleyes:

Oscar is a 9 year old mostly greyhound (maybe some collie in there??) who I love dearly but who still behaves like a mad puppy, just with more sleeping in between now lol. He was a terrible thief and bin raider in his younger days but is the friendliest dog you could ever wish to meet and even loves going to the vets to tend to his many injuries :rolleyes:
002.jpg

Dash is actually a whippet but he is Flick size so can he be an honorary greyhound for the purpose of this thread? Pleeeease :D
He is 18 months old and I've only had him for a few weeks but he is such a character even my OH has fallen for him already. He is a real cuddler and loves to be lying on or next to me whenever possible but on all other occasions he is sniffing the air for the next bunny chase :rolleyes: However he seems to have a strong vegetarian streak and can often be seen picking blackberries or raiding the vegetable plot for a tasty runner bean :mad:
040.jpg

FestiveSpirit

Visit site
Please can everyone who contributed to this thread please note that I will happily provide an alternative home for their gorgeous dogs at any time? :rolleyes::)

fmay

Visit site
This is our Tilly Machine - she is supposed to be 3/4 whippet 1/4 greyhound but weighs in at 65 lbs

tilly48.jpg

We have always had skinny dogs from a Scottish Deerhound that we bought ourselves as a wedding present 30 years ago, to a retired racing greyhound that was abandoned outside our house and a whole stream of various lurchers.

Lollii

Visit site
This thread is making me sad:( I lost my boy last year... here he is in his fav place - the back of my landrover, sometimes I couldn't get him out, then one day he decided he wanted out when I wasn't around for half an hour and ripped it to shreds - it had to be written off it was that bad :eek: bless him :rolleyes:
Vinney.jpg

FestiveSpirit

Visit site
He was absolutely stunning Lollii, what a lovely picture and he looks so content - dare I say smug? :D You should really have another one you know ;)