Tell me not to!

Zuzan

Visit site

He has a big trot. Not elevated like Ludo's but very useful looking.

I'm going to write to the person who did his passport at 6 months, he looks more and more like a CB to me.
That ground covering trot is another CB trait....... I believe as general utility horses CBs were bred to have a long trot stride as it's economical and easy to sit. You end up with (once matured and schooled) a long moment of suspension so it feels quite floaty IYKWIM ... I expect his canter will be big too ;)

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
It's a clip you see on drivers, saw a few over the weekend at the driving trial.

congrats on your newbie :)

I wondered whether that might be it. Although Jojo's doesn't seem to go back far enough to properly clear the harness area...? Or does that not matter because they mostly sweat on the chest?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
yup, think so the ones I've seen only go that far back too. (And observing yes mostly chest sweat/driving girths aren't done particularly tightly compared to ridden so more airflow)

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
It's a clip you see on drivers, saw a few over the weekend at the driving trial.

congrats on your newbie :)

You can't see that they never managed to take anything off his belly or between the front legs, Ester, and he was definitely triggered by scissor noise. I'll be starting clipper training as soon as he knows me well enough, in case I want a clip next winter.

Marnie

Visit site
That ground covering trot is another CB trait....... I believe as general utility horses CBs were bred to have a long trot stride as it's economical and easy to sit. You end up with (once matured and schooled) a long moment of suspension so it feels quite floaty IYKWIM ... I expect his canter will be big too ;)

I used to have a CB x TB mare and her trot was really big and ground covering and she would go for miles - I did some low level endurance with her and we always used to get 'gold' for the timing.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Definitely a nice looking horse, and I'm sure it's reassuring to see him getting on well with the two others so quickly.

Is "pacing" the same as "ambling"?
A true pace is both feet on the same side moving together. An amble is a stepping pace which is a lateral gait but the hind hoof hits the ground before the front hoof, similar footfalls to a walk but with some degree of separation of the hoofbeats towards the pace. true pace isn't normally comfy to ride but a stepping pace/amble can be a very comfortable gait. If you can move that over to an even four beat you can get a running walk/tolt/rack for another comfortable gait.

ycbm

Visit site
He looks like a superstar!

I can't take my eyes off him. He's got a huge walk now he's relaxed a bit. He's a proper little horse with a lovely personality. I have to say he gives me a warm cosy feeling that Deza doesn't. I know in my head what a good horse she is, but she doesn't (and never has) really grabbed me emotionally. I've been interested in how different she is to train and to ride, but it's a slightly detached, intellectual kind of interest. This little fellow makes me look forward to what we can do together, and he's only been here a day. If I decide to go down to 2 for next winter, it's no competition at the moment as to who will łeave.

I still can't quite believe it. IF he is easy to back, then I could probably put a jockey on him next week and put him up for sale in month for several times what I paid. There's a big fat zero chance of that happening!

I've written to the person who passported him at the end of 2018 to find out if they bred him. They are still there at the address, I can see from company records.

ycbm

Visit site
He still looks more Standardbred x to me ?‍♀️
Nice little chap ❤❤❤
I'm still #TeamLudo though ????

I can't see ANY of Ludo in him except perhaps the ears, and his mum is definitely a Standie. The guy I bought him off doesn't actually have a clue how he was bred, he told me Standie because I had said I was interested in a Standie, great dealer tactic!

Bellaboo18

Visit site
I can't take my eyes off him. He's got a huge walk now he's relaxed a bit. He's a proper little horse with a lovely personality. I have to say he gives me a warm cosy feeling that Deza doesn't. I know what a good horse she is, but she doesn't (and never has) really grabbed me emotionally. I've been interested in how different she is to train and to ride, but it's a detached, intellectual kind of interest. This little fellow makes me look forward to what we can do together, and he's only been here a day. If I decide to go down to 2 for next winter, it's no competition at the moment as to who will łeave.

I still can't quite believe it. IF he is easy to back, then I could probably put a jockey on him next week and put him up for sale in month for several times what I paid. There's a big fat zero chance of that happening!

I've written to the person who passported him at the end of 2018 to find out if they bred him. They are still there at the address, I can see from company records.
Its funny isn't it?! Some just stand out as special straight away and sometimes you can't even put your finger on why.
I'm really pleased he's settling in well and you've found each other ?

FlyingCircus

Visit site
I can't take my eyes off him. He's got a huge walk now he's relaxed a bit. He's a proper little horse with a lovely personality. I have to say he gives me a warm cosy feeling that Deza doesn't. I know in my head what a good horse she is, but she doesn't (and never has) really grabbed me emotionally. I've been interested in how different she is to train and to ride, but it's a slightly detached, intellectual kind of interest. This little fellow makes me look forward to what we can do together, and he's only been here a day. If I decide to go down to 2 for next winter, it's no competition at the moment as to who will łeave.

In seriousness, if you sell Deza can you give me a shout. I have a hot Spanish shaped hole in my heart, and the 1.5k project budget doesn't count for a Spaniard! ?

JGC

Visit site
Oh, what a lovely face! (Yes, I have thirty years of experience, have had four horses and yes I buy them on the basis of whether I like their face, shoot me :D ). It's so nice to just feel a connection with them.

Can someone enlighten me what CB is? I've tried an internet search, but still can't work it out. I feel like it's going to be obvious once I know ...

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Oh, what a lovely face! (Yes, I have thirty years of experience, have had four horses and yes I buy them on the basis of whether I like their face, shoot me :D ). It's so nice to just feel a connection with them.

Can someone enlighten me what CB is? I've tried an internet search, but still can't work it out. I feel like it's going to be obvious once I know ...

Cleveland Bay.

ycbm

Visit site
The field introduction has gone very well but I can't put all of them in the barn yet, Ludo is too jealous. They aren't hurting him, but they are frightening him. It's no big deal to leave him in the field during the day while they are in there. They still talk through a gate.

It's now obvious that he's got some super places, long and rangy and very loose. I can't take any credit for that, though it did strike me from his photos that he had joints and a bone structure that made it a possibility.

He is besotted with me, he follows me anywhere, he the loveliest boy.

I'm still expecting to find out any moment that he's a crock who they dumped on the market, but I don't think he is.

Last edited:

ycbm

Visit site
You sound proper smitten ❤️

I really am. It's quite weird. I've not felt this kind of instant attachment to a horse in my life before.

Heaven knows I love a bargain, and unless he's impossible to back or a leg falls off in the next week, then he's the bargain of the century in this market. But he is absolutely lovely, both to look at and in temperament.

I'm going to have to get some video of his movement so people can confirm that I'm not imagining how well he moves. I just wasn't expecting that.

He's got some big tooth eruption bumps right now though, these are hard, not fluffy coat ?

20210420_092208.jpg