Tenessee Walking Horse cruelty

LaurenB

Visit site
Omg go to YouTube and put in 2 year old Tennessee walking horse show. There is a class for 2 year olds under saddle! It's awful they look so young and not at all ready to be ridden especially the dark bay who looks more like a yearling, hideous!!!!!!!!!

monikirk

Visit site
I've spent a few summers in Ohio and went to some horse shows. Everyone was free to walk around the stable areas and one thing that struck me was the 'apparatus' horses wore in their stables. There were strange braces that made their tails bend in what seemed uncomfortable positions, peculiar shoeing with what looked like heels on some shoes. Mostly horses seemed well cared for - I wasn't aware of any Tennessee horses - but saw saddlehorses that performed a pace called the 'Rack' which was similar to trotters.

georgie0

Visit site
I first saw this a couple of years ago online and it still makes me turn cold. Barbaric, i cannot fathom why people celebrate such blatant cruelty.

cobmum

Visit site
I have googled the big lick and all can think is big fat cruelty

IMO it doesnt matter what country, who and for what prize money. What does matter is action against this type of cruelty and prehaps uneducated spectatorship at these events.

If spectators are educated to the suffering this may cause they may not be so eager to part with money to watch such a 'sport'.

We are all horsey people or at least for the most part otherwise we would not be on here. We have had it brought to our attention that this is happening that this cruelty is going on albeit thousands of miles away but that doesnt make us impotent in our ability to push for a happier world for these poor horses.

So the only useful thing i can think to do in this kind of situtation would be to find out what action myself or us as a forum can do :D

Oberon

Visit site
The Big Lick fans have made a career out of justifying their choices.

"It natural for these horses."
"They love to work."
"Their coats shine, so they must be healthy."
"They only perform for a short time."

Yadda yadda yadda :(

dominobrown

Visit site
If you look an you tube there are some TWH for sale without the boots on etc, there is one jumping a small log in a field, and yes it has expressive paces and they are beautiful horses, but very natural looking as well.

Imogen_

Visit site
If you look an you tube there are some TWH for sale without the boots on etc, there is one jumping a small log in a field, and yes it has expressive paces and they are beautiful horses, but very natural looking as well.

If only these where in the show ring and ribbons instead

nona1

Visit site
I've seen that stuff before and can't bear to watch again. Those people know exactly what suffering they are inflicting and just don't give a damn. I don't understand how they get away with it - if something as obvious as that was happening in the UK I'm sure they'd be prosecuted if they managed to escape the lynch mob that would be after their blood! How hard would it be to get 1000 people protesting outside one of these shows in the UK every time? What's wrong with the US that they tolerate this?

Some ownwers try to get away from all this. I remember a video where a young girl, 15 or 16, rode a normally shod and fully paced (but in a natural way) TWH in a national championship and wow what a fantastic beautiful sight they were. That horse flew around the ring compared to the poor cripples it was competing against who kept breaking down and not moving. What was truly disgusting were the protests trying to ban her from entering and the way the spectators booed her all the way round the ring.

These people are all sick in the head. I don't care if you grew up with it, you know it's wrong.

RutlandH2O

Visit site
What's wrong with the US that they tolerate this?

The US is a huge country with vast cultural differences between states and geographic locations. Think of the number of accents within the UK, a country as small as one US state. Then, magnify the differences that you find in the British Isles by the sheer size of the American landscape. For many "coastal" Americans, there's the East and West Coasts, and a wasteland in the centre. The South can be as foreign to a Northerner or Coastal American, as England is to Armenia. The extreme suffering of the TWH, is, by its very title, a Southern phenomenon. "Big Lick" is a term virtually unheard of outside of the environs of its geography, the horse world notwithstanding. States have their own governing powers, and within their boundaries there are local laws which may or may not correspond with their neighbouring jurisdictions. The whole question of how to tackle animal abuse and the prosecution of abusers must be on a Federal level, individual states and counties be damned! So, to ask "what's wrong with the US that they tolerate this," is to paint the whole country with the same brush. There is a seamy underbelly of lowlifes participating in the torture of these animals. The government has made attempts, albeit unsuccessful, at stamping out these horrendous practices. The Federal government needs more laws and many more individuals willing to apply those laws, and mete out justice in the form of custodial sentences for those who break the law.

SusannaF

susannaforrest.wordpress.com

I've read that they have absolutely beautiful temperaments too - not surprising given that the ones that would put up with this **** probably won most and bred most.

Irishdan

Visit site
Horrible :(

I think they look like something off a horror film with their un natural movement and hunched riders in tailed coats. It gives me shivers just to watch it. How anyone in their right mind can think that looks good is beyond me :(

marmalade76

Visit site
That is quite possibly one of the most ridiculous and unattractive looking spectacle I have ever seen involving horses.Why on earth would anyone even want their horse to do that......

My thoughts exactly, and they look most uncomfortable to sit on too.

They look to me like horses who are so lame in front thay are trying to carry all their weight on their hind legs, the result is a horse that walks like a chicken! I would imagine that most of them are finished by the time their age is in double figures. This breed really must have the most amazingly tolerant and forgiving temprement, I wonder if any of them turn nasty? Such a shame as they are beautiful horses.

AFAIA, they do show them flat shod aswell.

This subject has been discussed before, for anyone interested:-

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=115610&highlight=tenessee

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=421602&highlight=tenessee

Last edited:

Kitty B

Visit site
I don't agree with a lot of things some American 'equestrians' do, and I AM American! I think where it is such a large country and this is big business for some, it makes it stand out more. I didn't feel Wagtail or any other were painting us all with the same brush, just pointing out that a lot of the known case of this in particular are perpetrated by Americans. I for one would NEVER subject any horse to this kind of horrific treatment, and it sickens me that anyone would and think it is okay! The suffering these horses endure in order to make money for thoughtless, greedy humans breaks my heart.

CathySirett

Visit site
I find it amazing how many people are not satisfied with the natural beauty of the horse.

I was at a riding academy recently and over the weeks I was ther eI got to know one lady and her horse quite well -- she seemed a sweet lady and seemed ot really love her horse

then one day, as we were watching the trainer ride her horse she said, very matter of factly -- "I think I will ask the farrier to put weighted shoes on her front feet next time, so in a few weeks when they come off, she will hae a nice high action"

To say I ws flabbergasted was an understatement...

and yet to her, it was no big deal

wow

Cathy

Starry_eyes

Visit site
Having not much knowledge of this whole barbaric spectacle, could somebody explain to me what the hell those shoe/platform/pad things are and what they are meant to achieve? Do they wear those things all the time? :(:mad:

Imogen_

Visit site
The horses are very, very nice in their natural movement and they must have a very good temperament to cope with this.

Be it America, the UK, Spain, wherever... I come across new, horrific forms of abuse going on too regularly. Some sports should arguably not take place, some need huge adjustments and some have good and bad varying from one extreme to the other.

But this in particular is so painful to watch, it just seems surreal.

seoirse

Visit site
Those poor poor horses. :( I knew the TW horse had an unusual gate and that it was emphasised for the show ring but I had no idea that it was that bad. I used to ride a Missouri fox trotter in the 90s that belonged to an American lady who'd moved over here and I remember her telling me about the cruelty surrounding some of the gaited horse shows in the US but I didn't realise how extreme it was. I am horrified.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have an American standard bred and they have wierd unnatural show classes for them too I just can't see the point in it at all.
One thing though ASB,s have the wierd tail to side thing too in mine it's natural it's just how he is.
Strange gaits is one thing ( not my thing at all) but whole soreing thing is terrible .
Poor poor horses.

Oberon

Visit site
Having not much knowledge of this whole barbaric spectacle, could somebody explain to me what the hell those shoe/platform/pad things are and what they are meant to achieve? Do they wear those things all the time? :(:mad:

The platform pads are to create that high stepping action. They are for showing and training only. The chains around the pasterns are to help keep them in place.

The soring is where they put chemicals around the pasterns to make the skin sore - then the chains will hit the raw skin and make them step higher.

They also keep the hooves overgrown for the stepping effect.

Sometimes they hollow out the pads and fill them with nails, so the horse's soles will be pricked. That keeps them lighter at the front end too.

RutlandH2O

Visit site
If you go to theHorse.com, and type in TWH and soring, there are quite a few articles on the subject, particularly regarding legislation against it.

Oberon

Visit site
Just to let you all know - the pictures of the horse stood in misery and the Xray pic of the pad with the nails have been removed from my replies and previous posts on the subject.

I have not been informed why.

If anyone wants me to email them the pics, pm me with your email addy.

dominobrown

Visit site
Just to let you all know - the pictures of the horse stood in misery and the Xray pic of the pad with the nails have been removed from my replies and previous posts on the subject.

Really? I wonder why :confused: Well thanks for posting them, as I think they help illustrate the 'physical' pain these horses go through, not just the stupid spectical. As I said the whole manner of riding them in that way, which the 'platforms' on must have a huge impact on the biomechanics of the horse.

p.s Is your photobucket account open for public viewing? Maybe one of the 'pro' people saw your pictures on this forum and are too pathetic and chicken to comment, so complained to photobucket to get them removed off your account?

Last edited:

Orangehorse

Visit site
The sad thing is that the owners would say that they love their horses ..................

As for the gaits - it is exagerated in these videos and they are "trained" to have it - but it is natural for these breeds to go like this. They are the descendants of the old european horses that the Spaniards and early settlers took over, and they were bred to look showy and be very comfortable to ride long distances - and I have been assured they ARE very comfortable to ride.

In Europe the old breeds more or less died out as everyone became intersted in racing, or driving and the old long distance riding horses were no longer required.

Oberon

Visit site
Really? I wonder why :confused: Well thanks for posting them, as I think they help illustrate the 'physical' pain these horses go through, not just the stupid spectical. As I said the whole manner of riding them in that way, which the 'platforms' on must have a huge impact on the biomechanics of the horse.

p.s Is your photobucket account open for public viewing? Maybe one of the 'pro' people saw your pictures on this forum and are too pathetic and chicken to comment, so complained to photobucket to get them removed off your account?

No, they are still in my account. The pics are public domain anyway, and have been for years.

I linked a thread I started last Jan (titled, 'Urgh') and that was removed from my reply...even though the thread is still 'alive' in the Video Vault (where it was quickly moved in Jan when I posted it in NL).

Hmmmm.......

amandap

Visit site

I don't know why either but that photo was evidence for welfare organizations imo. The horse was not fit to be at a show never mind anything else! :mad:

Imogen_

Visit site
The sad thing is that the owners would say that they love their horses ..................

As for the gaits - it is exagerated in these videos and they are "trained" to have it - but it is natural for these breeds to go like this. They are the descendants of the old european horses that the Spaniards and early settlers took over, and they were bred to look showy and be very comfortable to ride long distances - and I have been assured they ARE very comfortable to ride.

In Europe the old breeds more or less died out as everyone became intersted in racing, or driving and the old long distance riding horses were no longer required.

Surely if it was natural, they wouldn't need to do such cruelty to emphasise it?

Orangehorse

Visit site
No of course there shouldn't be any cruelty, but the horses do have a different action that we are not used to.

Like hackney horses naturally have a high stepping action but they are trained for the show ring to exercise the appropriate muscles.

I don't know why the USA just doesn't ban those awful shoes and have done with it.

Starry_eyes

Visit site
Thanks Oberon (sorry on phone so can't quote) that's truly awful- i can't even begin to imagine the damage, both short and long term, that using these shoes/pads would cause. Poor horses. :-(