Terrible names

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I really don’t like my horses passport name of Euribor such an ugly name IMO. He stable name was Euri which reminds me of urine. He’s now Edward but the official name stays unfortunately.

ArklePig

Visit site
Obviously working in racing you see quite a lot of weird names. One that is racing now and I truly don't understand just how or why they were allowed the name is beyond me - Pakie's Dream.

Probably just named by someone called Packie I hope? It's a pretty common diminutive of Patrick in Ireland (well it was, most of them are over 60) for example, Packie Bonner the footballer!

spookypony

Visit site
A few years ago, when the Young Rider European Champs were held at Blair, the winning horse was German. His name was "Oje oje", which the announcer mispronounced, "O-jay, O-jay" (should be closer to o-YAY o-YAY). I had such a laugh when I finally saw it written down: it's a German exclamation of dismay, a bit like saying "oh deary me!" or "oh no, oh no!". I wondered what the horse had done as a foal, to earn such a name!

Visit site
My first pony was a Welsh Cob called Cob! I kept him on the yard I bought him from so everyone knew him as Cob which made it impossible t8 change. I was subsequently told he had originally been called Buttons which definitely wouldn't have suited him. He stayed as Cob!

thefarsideofthefield

Visit site
I remember a girl in my class at school getting a beautiful , successful and very expensive show pony . It was a dapple grey mare called Daydreamer .
She changed it's name to Tracey .
I worked on an eventing yard with a horse named Rip . The first time I rode him out I was informed it was actually R.I.P - and I would soon find out why !
Also knew a Megabucks ( nothing to do with his value as it turned out ! ) and a very laid back lad called Rollajoint , and a fella in the village has just retired his very old and very plain driving pony , Bot , and bought a new model .
" This one is much prettier " I enthused .
" Aye " he agreed
" So what's it called then ? "
" Orse " .

Spanny

Visit site
Many many years ago when I was in the Pony Club, we went round a large thoroughbred stud. They were standing a stallion called Malicious.

As a teenager I used to have an ex-racer mare called Malicious Love - I wonder if she was one of his?! Her stable name was Spider, and she came from Ada Cole (as they were back then).

thefarsideofthefield

Visit site
True Grit - our TB's racing name

Diva's passport name was "Jean II" when I got her. ?I mean just WHY ?
(I changed it lol, though I always wanted to know who the original Jean was ?.)

You could always try tracing it through a Jeaneology site ?

( Many , many apologies - I couldn't resist ) .

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
A long time ago I was at a yard where a teenage girl had a nice horse who was called Beckham ?. No idea if she named him or he came with that name but I definitely would have considered changing it. I didn't like my horses stable name when I got him but it suits him so it's stayed. His previous owner had already changed his name once (and that name didn't even slightly suit him). Luckily his passport name is fine.

I think I would have to change the name if it was something along the lines of Star, Dandy, Goldie or Misty. I quite like people names.

Mosh

Visit site
My old horses name was Dark Pleasure....

My current horse is chestnut, Welsh and a mare called Angel. Luckily she lives up to her name 99% of the time.

When they named her, they were either brave or optimistic ?