Terrible names

Snowfilly

Visit site
Uncle had a stallion named Colt, who was still called Colt when he was grey and creaky and doing veteran classes. He was the only Colt foal born at the stud that year and it stuck.

Rosie the gelding was another; he was called Ambrose but the riding school already had an Amber and didn’t want to change his name so he became Rosie. A few years later, a mare called Rosie arrived and she in turn became Red Rosie as she was roan.

Patch who was snowy white seemed odd until you knew he’d been born piebald.

Visit site
When I used to ride out we had a Brian, Kevin, Phil and Grant on the yard. The racing names of two of them weren't much better!

We used to have a Brian. But as human names go these days we have a Kenny, Lou, Thomas, Henry, Hugo, Mary, Jess, Myles, Humphrey and Jeremy.

We had 3 siblings - Crumbs, Toastie and Ugs. The mare was called Granary House hence the first 2 names and Ugs was because he was ugly according to the people who handed him over so I changed it to Lugs because he had big ears.

At one point we had a Thomas, Tom, Tam, Tommy, Tim and Timmy in the yard at the same time. All of their owners wanted their horses to be called Tom or Tommy as we had to change few slightly ?

nagblagger

Visit site
Unfortunately this one is my fault! Bought a mare in lockdown, (i probably wouldn't have if it hadn't been for covid) she's called Blue lady, found to be in foal, work colleagues decided it had to be 'corona blue' (blue was the infectious area in dept + from mare), unhorsey partner called him Bertie.. so now he is called Coronabluebertie on his passport. i was unable to separate the names as the prefixes are already registered. Oops

Celtic Fringe

Visit site
I know a Derek and a Barry - both lovely horses. My little cob had 'Perfection' as part of his passport name which I then changed - too much for a little chap to live up to, although he come fairly close!
I know someone who had a stallion called Saddam which was quite an innocuous beast.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
. Sorry not relevant to thread but Dave’s Mam. Was it Dave who qualified for Your Horse Live? We did the class so not sure if you were there?
We didn't qualify, although we were a mind blowing 2nd in the first stage. We got a gorgeous sash & rosette.
176322509_10160010043494739_1782003755536600525_n.jpg

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I knew a stunning chestnut TB called Norman. He looked like something out of a Munnings painted, acted like a right headbanger.

I once bought a horse who'd come out of training and been sent to a let-down yard. The head lad told me the horses was called Reg, and when I asked why he said "Well they're all called Reg ... or Norman."

?

millikins

Visit site
Trouble is by the time I've faffed around thinking of a better name I've got used to calling them whatever they came with. So I have Declan, which is a ridiculous name, came from a dealer who had another one similar called, you've guessed it. Ant.
And Bunny, who apparently was born at Easter but is the most unbunnyish animal imaginable. Unless you count the Killer Bunny in Holy Grail which she did rather resemble when she first arrived.

spacefaer

Visit site
Thoroughbreds called Dave, Simon and Colin
Fabulous hwt show hunter called Turnip
I had so many human named horses on the yard at one point, it sounded more like I was running a prep school - William (twice) Edward, Justin, Rufus, Hatty, Bobby, Justin and an Isobel (big shire cross mare)
Not a fan of human names for horses either!