Thank goodness for insurance

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Very best wishes to you and Tiva, Satinbaze. Hoping for a happy outcome.
I have had dogs for over 50 years, 40 of those with flatcoats. I have never insured. It never entered my head that you were criticising anyone, just warning how horrendously expensive vets fees have become. Always a good warning along with the ridiculous price to buy a dog or horse these days. This is especially pertinent to an oldie like me who goes back to the old days of pounds, shillings and pence when a set of shoes for my pony cost 15shillings, that’s less than a pound in old money, folks!

You've summed it up nicely. I didn't take any offence at Satinbaze's advice 're insurance and vet fees, it's sensible to be aware of the costs. I never insure horses, dogs, cats or any other animals which has saved me thousands of pounds over the years. However, my circumstances are sufficient to ensure that I could manage an emergency vet bill and treatment if needed.
Satinbaze gave prudent advice after receiving a massive bill that all pet owners should be informed about.

{97702}

Visit site
I also hope Tiva pulls through and defies the odds.I have to say if I had a case of cancer in a dog I would euthanize rather rather than go the chemo route,which usually only gives monthsof respite,not a cure.
I thought the post was informative and didn’t seek to hurt anyone with insinuation..
Lev,I amongst many love you and your dogs,you’ve done ever,thing and above for them..your latest posts show you are hurting for Ace and now for family issues..you’ve crossed wires here.OP didn’t mean any hurt to you.
Step back on this..and take a big hug.

lev seems we’ve posted at the same time so take me or leave me..but I wish you well.

Thank you BS - it would appear yet again that a forum of pet dog owners is not an appropriate place for me to post, so maybe I’ll take a step back again. For me, it’s always been very clear how vets bills can be huge - although maybe that’s also from my years owning horses!

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
I lost my old boy to what my vet suspected may have been a ruptured splenic tumour. He was only 10 days off 16 so even if we had known it would have made no difference. We couldn't even get him to a vet so he died peacefully in our front room in our presence.
Really hope Tiva comes through this ok. Will be thinking of you.

Parrotperson

Visit site
Thank you BS - it would appear yet again that a forum of pet dog owners is not an appropriate place for me to post, so maybe I’ll take a step back again. For me, it’s always been very clear how vets bills can be huge - although maybe that’s also from my years owning horses!

oh done go Lev. No one blames you for being upset.

And how would I get my daily dose of GEORGE!

shamrock2021

Visit site
The cost of any potential treatment has never been and will never be an issue for any of my dogs, and I'd absolutely disgusted if anyone would dare to think they would EVER go without treatment because they are not insured. I appreciate you are feeling stressed at the moment Satinblaze but actually I find the insinuations of your post really offensive.

Sending all possible 'get well soon' vibes to Tiva xx
Why are you even saying this has nothing to do with this person post . If this is a issue that concerns you than start your own thread

I hope you dog get better op .

cbmcts

Visit site
When I had 3 dogs and 3 cats I didn't insure and that worked really well for many years until I added a rottweiler whose aim in life was to ensure that local and referral vets had plenty of work! That was getting on for 15 - 20 years ago and despite being a longtime dog and horse owner, the vet costs especially at referral stage were a shock.

I'm now a convert to vet fees insurance and would hate to be without it. Yes, my credit rating is good so can always find a credit card to put the bills on but like many people I don't have £6k plus (my last big vet bill) hanging around. Also as the treatment options increase, so does the price...

Having being on both sides of the fence - uninsured with expensive treatment recommended and insured, some vets are judgemental when talking about MRIs and the like but most, especially the more experienced ones are a bit more pragmatic, understand that it's not just about the cost but also whether the treatment is actually in the animals best interests.

Vibes to Tiva and everyone who'd like some.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I think people who have been lucky enough not to have had a big vet's bill for a pet may well not be aware of just how much a fairly standard set of treatments could potentially cost, so it's no bad thing to warn people and maybe some of them will decide to insure on the back of that.

Others (me included) choose not to insure and either put away money in a savings account or can otherwise afford a big surprise bill.

I have to say that neither my small animal vet nor my horse vet have ever seemed to judge me a bad owner for not having insurance. Quite the opposite, they have gone out of their way to keep my bills as small as possible while still providing the best and most appropriate treatment for my animals. That includes GA surgery and hospitalisation for a couple of horses too, and no bill has been extortionate, but I do think that NI and Irish vets (I border hop for the horses) are cheaper than GB ones.

satinbaze

Visit site
Does anyone know how Tiva is today?

Thank you for all the positive thoughts for Tiva. She is doing okay, was a bit unsettled overnight until I changed the buster collar for an inflatable moon collar (I had forgotten I had one) she then settled and after her pain killers was snoring her head off. She has been very settled today eaten her breakfast and biscuits well and been out in the garden on lead to pee and poo. The instructions are for strict rest so thank goodness she is used to a crate. Wound looks good, I’ve only had one quick peek as I don’t want to mess around with it. Fingers crossed she continues to progress well. She is only 7 1/2 so I’m hoping for the best possible results.

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
Hope Tiva's recovery is uneventful @satinbaze , and that test result is a positive one.

Really hope you change your mind about not continuing to post @Levrier . If only those who never misinterpret a post is suitable to continue posting on this pet forum, I know that would be me out the door, and I suspect it would become quite crowded around the exit door.

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
I do think that NI and Irish vets (I border hop for the horses) are cheaper than GB ones.

I have definitely found this to be the case since moving from Somerset to Ireland (co Mayo), to quite a surprising degree with the horses. I suspect the absence of vet fees insurance (it seems unheard of here) may have something to do with it.

ETA: Glad your dog is doing well so far OP, fingers crossed for a benign diagnosis.

Last edited:

Goldenstar

Visit site
I apologise if my post implied that anyone would think of withholding treatment due to cost. I certainly did not mean to cause any offence.

No you did not say that it was pretty clear what you meant .
I hope your dog is doing well.
I never insure but could always afford ant treatment I wanted the dog to have .

Sandstone1

Visit site
Hope your dog is doing well.
Think most people know what you mean about insurance and that you meant no offence to anyone. Its up to each owner to decide if they insure or not. I know I have not got thousands of pounds to spare and thats why I insure.
It does have its faults and limitations and is not perfect but it does give the peace of mind should anything happen that you have the option of treatment or surgery.
Its up to each owner to decide whats right for them and their animals. Sometimes its not right for the animal to go ahead but sometimes insurance can mean the choice between life and death is not just down to finances. Dont think anyone should put down a individuals choice as to if they insure or not.
In this day and age with the cost of vets treatment as high as it is for many people insurance is the only way they could pay for surgery or long term expensive medication, on the other hand I think insurance has made vets fees higher.
Insurance itself can be expensive too and sometimes its better to self insure, also as animals get older insurance can be less useful as conditions excluded and premiums go up to silly amounts. I have a issue with insurance companies about that as if you have insured all of a animals life with little or no claims its as a animal gets older that the policy can get much less useful and affordable which seems very unfair to me.
Its really horses for courses and really dont think people should judge what other animal owners decide what to do.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I think people who have been lucky enough not to have had a big vet's bill for a pet may well not be aware of just how much a fairly standard set of treatments could potentially cost, so it's no bad thing to warn people and maybe some of them will decide to insure on the back of that.

Others (me included) choose not to insure and either put away money in a savings account or can otherwise afford a big surprise bill.

I have to say that neither my small animal vet nor my horse vet have ever seemed to judge me a bad owner for not having insurance. Quite the opposite, they have gone out of their way to keep my bills as small as possible while still providing the best and most appropriate treatment for my animals. That includes GA surgery and hospitalisation for a couple of horses too, and no bill has been extortionate, but I do think that NI and Irish vets (I border hop for the horses) are cheaper than GB ones.

Based on my experience, I think that vets in GB charge *much* more when an insurance company is paying than when an uninsured owner is footing the bill. I have known my vets a long time and I have never had reduced care from them. The only difference between my experience with the late lamented Rottweiler's tumour and OP's experience is that we had stipulated that we would not be going down the chemo route, if the tumour was operable. Vet agreed that she wouldn't want to do that either. Otherwise we had been quoted less than £2k, including aftercare for what OP's ins.co was charged over x4 for.

OP, I hope Tiva is making good progress.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Based on my experience, I think that vets in GB charge *much* more when an insurance company is paying than when an uninsured owner is footing the bill.

Any vet doing this is in contravention of the RCVS code of professional conduct and it would be extremely difficult verging on impossible to cover up, insurers aren’t daft and there are fraud prevention measures in place on both sides.

Sending best wishes for Tiva’s continued recovery, it sounds like she’s doing well ☺️

{97702}

Visit site
Im naturally delighted that others haven’t experienced what I did, and have had supportive vets who looked to manage fees accordingly if the animal wasn’t insured (maybe a consequence of living somewhere where insurance is rare as has been suggested?)

Sadly - and rather more relevantly for the purposes of my explanation of my reaction - I did, regardless of who else has and has not had that experience.

I’ve now moved all the dogs to another practice, so shouldn’t be getting that problem again.

OP - any biopsy news? Still keeping absolutely everything crossed for you and Tiva xx

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Any vet doing this is in contravention of the RCVS code of professional conduct and it would be extremely difficult verging on impossible to cover up, insurers aren’t daft and there are fraud prevention measures in place on both sides.

Sending best wishes for Tiva’s continued recovery, it sounds like she’s doing well ☺️

In that case I am delighted that my vets don't need to refer on in this kind of case. Perhaps it is simply that their overheads are lower - although it seems doubtful, as the reason Rotter had to go to the quieter surgery was that they were moving the central one lock, stock and barrel about one mile up the road to a brand new purpose built facility, that very day.

{97702}

Visit site
Oh well the “great” and the “good” of AAD have spoken Parrotperson, henceforth we must only post where they deem appropriate! Remember this at all times, and heaven help that a post digresses in the way that they have since the forum ever existed..... ?