The 2019 Badminton XC Thread

DiNozzo

Visit site
Ellie is just abrasive. I think she's annoyed the other two and Ros doesn't sound massively impressed by her either.

Reactions: TPO

Lexi_

Visit site
I actually thought the 2 male commentators were really quite rude. They obviously didn't gel with Ellie but they essentially ignored most of her comments, talked over her or didn't engage, which made her sound awkward and stilted. They're already engaging far more with Ros.

The dynamic has totally changed since Ros replaced Harry. Interesting!

(I know everyone adores him but he really gets on my nerves.)

attheponies

Visit site
Ellie is just abrasive. I think she's annoyed the other two and Ros doesn't sound massively impressed by her either

I agree, I think they have decided she is a bit of an idiot and very ill informed.

Reactions: TPO

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
problem is, there is often someone who is not an expert and who is kind of charged with asking the numpty questions on behalf of joe public who might not usually follow horse sports. i think Ellie is in that category, and she is doing that bit OK - it's just that if you are familiar with what you're watching then her questions seem a bit vacuous. I personally find her voice really grating on top of that...probably not her fault though ;)

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I also think they are being quite rude to Ellie. She's not a great commentator but it would not be nearly so awkward if they were engaging with her. They even ignore perfectly reasonanle comments or override her and ask Ros what she thinks!

sasquatch

Visit site
problem is, there is often someone who is not an expert and who is kind of charged with asking the numpty questions on behalf of joe public who might not usually follow horse sports. i think Ellie is in that category, and she is doing that bit OK - it's just that if you are familiar with what you're watching then her questions seem a bit vacuous. I personally find her voice really grating on top of that...probably not her fault though ;)

I think its maybe how she asks the numpty questions, as the others know so much it makes her sound/seem out of place nearly? She's not as easy to listen too as Harry (who I think just has one of those voices thats easy to listen too even if you don't take in what he's saying) which I don't think helps, but instead of asking 'for those who don't know horses why is there a bonnet on its head?' or whatever it was she said could have been phrased in a way where she explained what it was and then asked the others for their opinions.

DiNozzo

Visit site
I agree with @milliepops actually. I think she is being forced into that role, but I don't think she's needed with the commentators and riders they've had in!

Ros has been quite good at clarifying terms and situations for Joe Bloggs Public, and Harry is very good too.

Someone like, Oli T in the box, yes she'd be needed, but people are far more interested in a good's pro story and take on something than Ellie's.

milliepops

Visit site
Love the way Mark just sits there totally cool, safe in the knowledge the horse will go when it's assessed the question

milliepops

Visit site
I agree with @milliepops actually. I think she is being forced into that role, but I don't think she's needed with the commentators and riders they've had in!

Ros has been quite good at clarifying terms and situations for Joe Bloggs Public, and Harry is very good too.

Someone like, Oli T in the box, yes she'd be needed, but people are far more interested in a good's pro story and take on something than Ellie's.
yeah sometimes they get pros that get way too technical when they are watching the action, and then you need someone to pull it back to make it accessible. But this gang are really inclusive as well as being really knowledgeable.

HashRouge

Visit site
Wow second one inside the time! That was fast!
I also think they are being quite rude to Ellie. She's not a great commentator but it would not be nearly so awkward if they were engaging with her. They even ignore perfectly reasonanle comments or override her and ask Ros what she thinks!

I think they were rude too, and made her seem worse than she was by ignoring her or not engaging with what she was saying.

Lexi_

Visit site

I totally get what you’re saying, but none of the current or ex riders are sports commentators as such, they’re doing colour commentary and it’s a bit different.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Will Furlong is starting to mske me wince now, after saying how good he was earlier!

Very rate to see Toddy have a stop like that.