The breeding and selling of banned breeds

SilverLinings

Visit site
I agree with you about the problem with the DDA and banned breeds list- I thought I was fairly clued up about dogs but didn't know there were exceptions that meant you could keep one, which shows how easily it can be misunderstood. And as we've seen from all the recent dog attacks the list doesn't stop these things happening. I suppose unless we ban all breeds with a certain bite strength and/or of a certain size (I am NOT advocating this) we are still going to have fatal attacks as it seems that the government can't legislate to prevent ignorant owners not making sure they have control of their dogs. It would probably be more helpful if there was a way of legislating how people treat/train/care for their dogs to prevent the aggressive behaviour, but I don't know how you'd police it or what rules you could put in place.

I wonder if going at the problem sideways by making welfare requirements for dogs much more strict, and policing them better, would put some of the less suitable owners off bothering to get a dog in the first place? I suspect many of the less responsible owners would be put off if owning a dog required more thought and more work (i.e. the amount responsible owners already put in).

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
It would probably be more helpful if there was a way of legislating how people treat/train/care for their dogs to prevent the aggressive behaviour, but I don't know how you'd police it or what rules you could put in place.

I wonder if going at the problem sideways by making welfare requirements for dogs much more strict, and policing them better, would put some of the less suitable owners off bothering to get a dog in the first place? I suspect many of the less responsible owners would be put off if owning a dog required more thought and more work (i.e. the amount responsible owners already put in).

Some people have been lobbying Governments and kennel clubs about taking this sort of direction for years!
And, repeating myself, a total rethink on how and why we breed and why we keep dogs.
They are still seen by too many as a commodity or disposable accessory, although there is more research done into the purchase of most disposable accessories....

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I agree with you about the problem with the DDA and banned breeds list- I thought I was fairly clued up about dogs but didn't know there were exceptions that meant you could keep one, which shows how easily it can be misunderstood. And as we've seen from all the recent dog attacks the list doesn't stop these things happening. I suppose unless we ban all breeds with a certain bite strength and/or of a certain size (I am NOT advocating this) we are still going to have fatal attacks as it seems that the government can't legislate to prevent ignorant owners not making sure they have control of their dogs. It would probably be more helpful if there was a way of legislating how people treat/train/care for their dogs to prevent the aggressive behaviour, but I don't know how you'd police it or what rules you could put in place.

It would just end up like horse passports where responsible owners fork out and the others just ignore the law

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Oh and people need a lot better understanding of genetics and behaviour and original uses etc etc.
Not just in terms of the dogs people wish to buy, but why mating this dog to that bitch might not be a great idea, or why not just wash those dogs from your breeding programme altogether, even if they are a pretty colour....

SilverLinings

Visit site
I do read your posts CC, and totally agree, I didn't mean to make you repeat yourself. It is frankly disgusting that humans see any sentient being as a disposable accessory or status symbol. I think the internet (particularly Instagram over the last few years) has really not been helpful with all the celebrities posting cute/imposing/enviable/aspirational/etc photos of their puppies/dogs, it always seems to be where the craze for the latest in-fashion breed starts.

SilverLinings

Visit site
Oh and people need a lot better understanding of genetics and behaviour and original uses etc etc.
Not just in terms of the dogs people wish to buy, but why mating this dog to that bitch might not be a great idea, or why not just wash those dogs from your breeding programme altogether, even if they are a pretty colour....

What, you mean there are other reasons to buy a dog than pretty colour/a celebrity has one/it looks 'hard'...

It is unbelievable what defects some breeders are more than happy to pass on (or can't even recognise as defects).

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
What, you mean there are other reasons to buy a dog than pretty colour/a celebrity has one/it looks 'hard'...

It is unbelievable what defects some breeders are more than happy to pass on (or can't even recognise as defects).

Like, I've stood next to someone who I have known my entire life and has bred stacks of litters over decades and talked them through how the dog they are holding is stressed and how I can tell and the subtle warnings he is giving, to get in reply 'wow, that's really interesting, I never knew that'. And that's someone with a GOOD name and reputation. And yes, breeding away with it.

SilverLinings

Visit site
Like, I've stood next to someone who I have known my entire life and has bred stacks of litters over decades and talked them through how the dog they are holding is stressed and how I can tell and the subtle warnings he is giving, to get in reply 'wow, that's really interesting, I never knew that'. And that's someone with a GOOD name and reputation. And yes, breeding away with it.

Christ on a bike, what is wrong with people? To have bred dogs repeatedly for years and still not learn anything much about dog behaviour is just odd- I would have thought someone that involved would be more interested. Has he any understanding or awareness of physical defects in his breeding stock?