The breeding and selling of banned breeds

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
I would hope that you would put your dogs on a lead when you see me and my Labs. My dogs don't approach others and I don't expect other owners to allow theirs to approach mine either.[/QUOTe

i do put mine on leads if i meet dogs i dont know but would normally walk past them, if i saw that size of bull breed i would walk the other way just to be sure that mine are safe. i would worry that if a dog of that size and strength tried to get to mine the owner may not be able to hold them..i am lucky that i walk in a local park and we all know each other and the dogs meander along together as they know each other so well. this morning there were 3 spaniels, 2 poo mixes,1 gsd/lab and my 2 terriers, all very good natured and friendly, i am sure all of the dogs like meeting their pals and i enjoy meeting mine..

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Might just be something to do with my personality/experiences, but I've always found fear driven behaviours in both dogs and horses by far the hardest to work with.

My mistake then, I had thouht I might be wrong with that comment - with thankfully having little experience of truly fearful dogs, I just assumed that may be the case by all of the 'troublesome dog' training programmes I have seen. My 'solution' would still apply to these dogs in the same way as I explained up thread anyhow.

skinnydipper

Visit site
I thought I could keep quiet but it's obvious I need further training in self control and proofing the behaviour ;)

You don't turn a fearful dog's life around by watching TV programmes, asking it to guard a perimeter or channeling drive.

You do it by changing how the dog feels about the things it finds scary, having the dog look to you for guidance and taking away the responsibility for making decisions.

Fear based reactivity from the dog's point of view is all about trying to make the scary thing go away. Not all reactive dogs are aggressive and not all reactivity is fear based, it could be caused by frustration or over excitement.

I get that this is a brief post but I think you will get the idea.

Yes, bonny, this post is off topic. So what?

ETA. It is in response to comments made by other posters. Anyhow, out to brave the weather with the dog :)

Last edited:

skinnydipper

Visit site
This is also slightly off topic (I'm already sitting on the naughty chair :)).

Why are people breeding and buying Bully Kuttas in the UK, if not for dog fighting or intimidation?

Also spotted when I briefly looked at dog ads yesterday, Caucasian shepherd x Bully Kutta. WTAF.

Last edited:

Clodagh

Visit site

Why are people breeding and buying Bully Kuttas in the UK, if not for dog fighting or intimidation?

Also spotted when I briefly looked at dog ads yesterday, Caucasian shepherd x Bully Kutta. WTAF.

The trouble is you cannot insist that humans are castrated and muzzled unles they pass a temperament test. An IQ bigger than that of algae would be a start.

stangs

Visit site

I saw some purebred Bully Kutta puppies for sale in London the other day too, apparently both parents imported. I wish I could say that they must be being sold to breed enthusiasts, but, if there are any such people out there (in the dog lover sense), surely the community would be small enough that you wouldn’t need an ad on preloved to see the puppies?

Frankly, I quite like the look of the breed, especially the more hunting dog type. But a) I’m not nearly experienced enough with dogs to have one, and b) do I think anyone living in an urban area should have one? No. And I can only think of one kind of people in London who’d be interested in owning one. Ironically, I was reading an article the other day on how they’ve become a common breed in Punjab just because young men want to look tough - global issue? https://m.timesofindia.com/city/cha...-Punjabs-macho-image/articleshow/46257957.cms

stangs

Visit site
On a related note, is it just me or are mastiff (of various and increasingly exotic breeds) crosses absolutely everywhere for sale atm? And the vast majority of them don’t look particularly healthy.

skinnydipper

Visit site
I saw some purebred Bully Kutta puppies for sale in London the other day too, apparently both parents imported. I wish I could say that they must be being sold to breed enthusiasts, but, if there are any such people out there (in the dog lover sense), surely the community would be small enough that you wouldn’t need an ad on preloved to see the puppies?

Bully Kuttas are used for dog fighting in Pakistan and India. Not the kind of dog that we need more of in the UK.

ETA. Dog fighting is illegal in Pakistan and India but still takes place. Still takes place in the UK too :(.

Last edited:

GSD Woman

Visit site
In my state the vets are supposed to report every rabies vaccine given with the name of owner, breed of dog and residence. My county at least comes around and does random license checks.

We had the cutest pit bull puppy in at work on Friday. Nice and friendly but had a horrible battle crop. It made me sad. I am so not a fan of cropping, or declawing cats either.

GSD Woman

Visit site
depending on the state the breeder could be breaking the law. In Va to do surgery on your own animal is legal as long as proper pain relief is used. Back in the 1990s I knew a family with boxers. they had some old timey vet come do ears. This vet did it on the kitchen table using ether. Makes me shudder.

bonny

Visit site
Another death, this time a man who rescued dogs and looks like a bulldog again. Something needs to change, poor man and his family, sad that he was trying to help the dog who killed him.

SilverLinings

Visit site
I have just seen an article on the BBC News website about owners struggling to feed their pets due to the current cost of living, and one woman openly describes one of her two dogs as being a Pitbull*:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-62310284

The BBC makes no comment in the article about Pitbull's being on the banned breed list, but it made me wonder how much of the general public is actually aware that there are banned breeds in the UK? I know that some people buy them because they are banned, but presumably in this case the owner doesn't know as surely she wouldn't be so open about it? I thought that it was widely known in the UK that Pitbulls were illegal even if many people couldn't name some or all of the other breeds on the banned list.

*I don't know enough about Pitbull's to be able to tell from the photo in the article whether it actually is one or not.

SilverLinings

Visit site
Pitbulls can be allowed to exist with exemptions granted by the courts, including the wearing of a muzzle in public places.
Those pics show the dog in the house so it wouldn't be in breach of any exemption.

I hadn't realised there were exemptions, but I do think it's interesting nothing was said in the article as it did give the impression that it was a normal type of dog to own.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I hadn't realised there were exemptions, but I do think it's interesting nothing was said in the article as it did give the impression that it was a normal type of dog to own.

It's pretty much nothing more than 'that's not what the article is about'.
The person who wrote it might not know or was so desperate to get x amount of people to interview about the issue before deadline, that they weren't really bothered about supplementary questions.

SilverLinings

Visit site
Out of interest, do you think that the public in general (particularly those who don't engage with MSM/read newspapers) are aware there are banned breeds? There seems to have been such an increase in dog attacks (I know that the pandemic caused an increase in dog owners) and a fad for 'tough' looking dogs- I had assumed that people bought banned breeds (or other traditionally guarding-type or fighting-type breeds) because of the cachet, but the article made me wonder whether some people just don't know. I suppose as there appears to be a lot of owners who have no idea about dog behaviour, training and care there is no reason they'd know much about breeds either.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
No. Apart from anything, the other three breeds on the list were and still are pretty much unheard of in the UK.
And the American Pit Bull Terrier is not a breed recognised by the English kennel club.
It is more a type than a breed, assessed by things like measurements, behaviours and bite pressure (that's why some are taken alive after attacks, evidence is needed in case of prosecution, I do not know why people cannot get their heads around that). Therefore there is very little in the way of record keeping/DNA proof etc.
The DDA is extremely flawed and problematic, it was a knee-jerk reaction to public panic in the 1990s, it does not work and is indicative of the overall problems with dog ownership and breeding in these islands.