The dog you want? or love the one you're with :)

Clodagh

Visit site
I’ve always half fancied a Bassett, I love the way they bumble along without a care in the world.

We had a retired hunting basset, I think she was a griffon Vendeen (spelling?) she was brilliant, like having a batty maiden aunt hanging around behaving badly but with such joie de vivre you couldn't hold it against her.

EventingMum

Visit site
I grew up with a lab and would love another but Mr EM comes from a family of terrier owners and we've followed suit bar one amazing mongrel (possibly spaniel/collie in him). However last week I met a delightful Norfolk Terrier and was totally smitten and could see one fitting in nicely with our lifestyle.

skinnydipper

Visit site
Oh, this is a tough one. I hope that the big lad will be with me for a while yet and I won't have to make a decision.

Most likely another rescue. I would like a healthy, laid back companion (that's the theory anyway). Whoever catches my eye and we click.

I would not want to try to fulfil the needs of a high drive/working dog so that rules out a quite a few breeds.

I love GSDs but my two have had serious health issues and I don't think I can go through it again. I tell myself that it would be a very bad idea but would probably be a push over if another came along.

I did see a Dobermann I liked the look of, I liked his temperament, but won't adopt another dog while I still have S - he and the vet are conspiring to bankrupt me.

All this waffle and I haven't really answered your question, MOC. Sorry.

millikins

Visit site
Currently have a standard poodle, he's very old now and I do love him but he has been harder work than any other dog I've ever had anything to do with. Hugely intelligent but uses it for his own ends, very dominant personality, and for some reason is an idiot magnet. If I had another it would be a bitch. I've had 2 rottie crosses, both wonderful dogs in different ways.
My guilty pleasure is that I would love to have a Pekinese, I adore them but wouldn't be a very practical choice unless it was permanently clipped.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I am out and out a whippet person now, having gotten my first one nearly 8yrs ago. I grew up with gun dogs, my parents had 3 Irish Setters when I was born. I do get a hankering for one every now and again, and I think setters and whippets would be a good mix, so who knows what the future holds

satinbaze

Visit site
I love my flatcoats. Was brought up with cavaliers and still love them but they are a bit more restrictive in competitive obedience.
The flatcoats remain my perfect dog, oodles of character and able to turn their paw to most tasks. The bonus is I’m not allergic to them 😁

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Great thread! I very much fall into the 'so many breeds, so little time camp', so yes don't think I'd ever have the same breed twice in a row.

Atm I have a westie and a jrt type thing (not sure exactly what her breeding is, I found her litter in a box). I love the both, and the jrt doodah is my wonderful little shadow - she's fantastically loyal, full of beans, incredibly generous, easy to train and loves everyone and everything. She's completely irreplaceable so I could never have anything Jack russelly again after her.

I grew up with a border collie and my heart still lies with a border or a smooth, so sometime in the future when I could commit more energy to one....(kelpie ownership was emotionally draining, as lovely as he was)
Apart from that, I fancy a petit Bassett, a Pembrokeshire corgi and all the terriers 😁. I like a punky little dog!

I love cocker spaniels but couldn't own one - far too much chaos for me

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
I absolutely love GSD’s. Had a couple when I was a child at home with parents, and also a lab, and I do vaguely remember we had an Afghan Hound when I was really small. At the moment, we have a Border Collie, who isn’t a breed I would have chosen, but he came to us at 10 when an elderly relative passed away. I worship him, forgive him all his sins, but not sure I’d choose to have another. (I also very much prefer bitches, but he’s really got under my skin). We also have an 18 month old husky. Not a breed I’d ever thought about owning, OH really wanted her. She is fabulous, and when we lose the old boy, hopefully not for a long time yet, it will be a hard choice between the GSD, or another husky, or possibly look at a malamute.

If I could have lots of dogs, sadly I think 2 at the time is the limit, I do like the look of schnauzer’s as a smaller dog, and spaniels. Clodagh has put me off there a bit though. If she couldn’t cope, I’d have no chance!

vallin

Visit site
I have a GSP now and she's such an easy dog. Love her. I'd get another pointer for sure.

We get rescues so we'll get whatever with the personality/size/running capacity that fits our lifestyle, but one shelter nearby often has Australian sheepdogs and I'd love one. Lab crosses are another favourite. I think they would be good running breeds - our GSP runs up to 20k on the trail, so she's set the bar very high :)

We have inherited my MiL's GSP x Lab an drew are training her up for her (and our!) first half :)

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
We had old English sheepdogs when I was growing up and I'd love another one but they're totally impractical, we used to keep ours clipped all the time.
We've currently got a Westie who's a super little dog (having previously only wanted big dogs) and a border collie. I always swore I'd never have a border collie due to the energy levels, but ended up with Woolfie by accident and then got Juno as she was her niece. I'd never understood people who only want one breed of dog until we got the bc, but having said that, I'm not wedded to having only them as a breed.
On the whole, I simply love dogs. Big, small, hairy, floppy ears, pricked ears. There are some breeds/types I'm not keen on (slobbery dogs, bracycephalic, ones with droopy eyelids), but I'm sure if I had one I'd love it just the same.

On the Hoof

Visit site
Well my first post in this forum so here goes ..I grew up with Great Danes, Boxers, Basset Hounds and spaniels . I worked part time in Corgi kennels whilst at school and loved them but wouldn't want one now.
I always wanted a GSD and that was my first ever dog of my own after leaving home. OH and I have since had collie crosses and greyhounds. I volunteered as a dog walker for the local dogs home for quite a few years and actually started to like Staffies which my brother has always had. My heart is however wedded to BCs or BC crosses and as I will be retiring early next year this could be the time to make that dream come true...but I also want a whippet...oh so many dogs so little time left...

vallin

Visit site
I'd love a Doberman or a Rhodesian ridgeback (though OH would never let me have a ridgeback as lifespan is too short) but more practically would probably get a Weim/pointer/viz so that if could cope with long distances and be lifted over stiles. Wouldn't ever choose something with lab in or long coated - can't stand the fur everywhere!

rabatsa

Far from the madding crowd
Visit site
I was brought up with terriers, wire haired, border and lakeland. Then a couple of mongrels made their home with us until I got my own first dog which was a border collie. Two BC's later and I got the dog of my dreams a GSD, she was perfect. Circumstances change and parents decline so when I lost her I got a retired racing greyhound, who was the perfect dog for that time of my life. Now things have changed again and it is just me and the OH I have got another shepherd pup who has the makings of a good dog as long as I continue to put in the work. I will have to admit she may be my last puppy though as the pension years beckon.

We will always have a greyhound about the place now though as they are such relaxing, undemanding dogs and the OH loves them.

clydeviewequestrian

Visit site
I have always had chow chows, I was brought up with them and we are now on our fifth chow, I don't think I would ever get another breed of dog although I love all dogs! Some people may hear bad things about chows but that happens with a lot or breeds now, my current one is nine months old and has the most amazing nature! Trying to upload a photo but keeps saying that the files too large!

chaps89

Visit site
We had a Dalmatian growing up- they are absolutely my mums breed, she's desperate to have another.
For me should the time come for us to be in a position to have a dog, I'd like a cairn or a miniature poodle. Both not really suitable dogs for a first time owner though really! OH would love a staffy and prefers bigger dogs.
We're not likely to be able to get a dog for some time though (and I shouldn't really admit it in AAD, but I am a bit more of a cat person too) so for now I just steal doggy cuddles off the BC at the yard!

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I have always had chow chows, I was brought up with them and we are now on our fifth chow, I don't think I would ever get another breed of dog although I love all dogs! Some people may hear bad things about chows but that happens with a lot or breeds now, my current one is nine months old and has the most amazing nature! Trying to upload a photo but keeps saying that the files too large!

Oo, that's unusual, I've never met a chow!

minesadouble

Visit site
Previous dogs include a Sringer, GSP and a Lurcher (Deerhound x Saluki x Collie). When we lost the Lurcher I torn between an Irish Wolfhound, Scottish Deerhound or Hungarian Vizsla.
Opted for the Vizsla in light of the short lifespan of the first two breeds.
I’d still love one but not sure I could deal with the heartbreak of losing them so young.
I also have a soft spot for Braco Italionos.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Current dog is a Bichon Frise. She's just wonderful. A great companion and lap dog. But one who is happy and capable of walking several miles a day on most terrain.

At some point in the future I would love a BC. Long coat preferably.

And just because I can....

34383480_10156395041714264_6402067741632626688_n.jpg

jumbyjack

Visit site
I adore my insane screaming agoraphobic bonkers intelligent cute fluffy Parson Russell. Would add a Border Collie and a Shih tzu as a wish list!

Clodagh

Visit site

Try harder with the pic! I would love to see him. I'm not sure I would want one but they are amazing looking and always seem cheerful.