The fear has set in!

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
So baby horse arrives on Friday. I've crunched the numbers more times than I can count and know logically I can afford him and still put money aside for the unknown each month, yet now I've paid for him and his arrival is imminent I'm panicking I've bitten off more than I can chew. Probably not helped by his insurance and the transporter costs leaving my account today 😂

I've been like this with every horse I've ever bought so I know it'll be fine, but I still can't shake the fear. Please tell me I'm not alone?!

livethedream

Visit site
I've just bought a WB yearling & was exactly the same, give it a month it'll be fine! It's the cost of them, first jabs, wormer, transporter & insurance money vanishing in one lol. Photos please!!!!!

Northern

Visit site
I think this is completely normal! I am casually in the market for a second (have had two before). I know I can afford it but crunching the numbers in my head every day makes me cringe. But then, you only live once, right? You might need to learn to speak German to him though :p

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I've just bought a WB yearling & was exactly the same, give it a month it'll be fine! It's the cost of them, first jabs, wormer, transporter & insurance money vanishing in one lol. Photos please!!!!!

Ah snap, mines 7 months old though which I think is adding to the anxiety as he's my first proper baby. But yeah it was quite a shock watching all my money disappear at once! Will get proper pics once he arrives, but this was one of the ones from his advert.

hanoverian-stallion-foals-chestnut-red-dressagehorses-sulingen-1486506_4.jpg

livethedream

Visit site
Ah snap, mines 7 months old though which I think is adding to the anxiety as he's my first proper baby. But yeah it was quite a shock watching all my money disappear at once! Will get proper pics once he arrives, but this was one of the ones from his advert.

View attachment 27021

Oh wow he's beautiful!!! He's definitely worth a few weeks of anxiety lol. It'll all settle down quickly & you'll be busy enjoying your time with him

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I think this is completely normal! I am casually in the market for a second (have had two before). I know I can afford it but crunching the numbers in my head every day makes me cringe. But then, you only live once, right? You might need to learn to speak German to him though :p

🤣 I didn't realise that was part of the deal, I best start brushing up on my German!

I know in a month or two it'll be busy as usual but the crunching numbers part is the worst. But like you say, life's too short so you should definitely buy a second :p

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
He’s gorgeous 😍.

I’ve recently added a second horse to my menagerie and I’m avoiding thinking about the sums because my maths is rubbish and I’m sure it won’t add up 😱.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
He’s gorgeous 😍.

I’ve recently added a second horse to my menagerie and I’m avoiding thinking about the sums because my maths is rubbish and I’m sure it won’t add up 😱.

Haha I went full geek and put it all in a spreadsheet so hopefully the maths is right, otherwise we'll be eating beans on toast for the foreseeable!

Hollychops

Visit site
It cant even be blamed on the fear of the unknown!! :) I am the same, saving like mad and scouring all the sites for horses for sale so i know whats been on the market a long time, what i can expect for my money, whether to sit tight and save abit more etc but its still an anxious time and the whole, 'OMG! What if ive bought a fruit loop and its still being a tit in 3 months time' scenario!! Always told my daughters it wasnt nerves they were feeling but excited butterflies, think of it that way and it all seems so much better. Your new boy is gorgeous btw

Nasicus

Visit site
You're definitely not alone haha, I've had the fear with all three of my purchases!
1st was 'oh my god my first horse, how am I going to do this, what have I done?!'

2nd was 'oh my god what am I doing with a weanling, how am I going to do this, what have I done?!'

And the 3rd was 'oh my god why have I bought the 1st one back, I've got two horses now,
how am I going to do this, what have I done?!'

As long as you've crunched the numbers correctly, it'll work out financially. And after a week, you'll wonder what you ever did without him :)

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
He’s gorgeous 😍.

Ha! it definitely doesn't for me o_O I don't count the retired girls, who more or less cost zero. The 2 ridden ones are a big stretch but I find you can get by with a dash of self-delusion and crossed fingers :rolleyes:

Reactions: tda

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
It cant even be blamed on the fear of the unknown!! :) I am the same, saving like mad and scouring all the sites for horses for sale so i know whats been on the market a long time, what i can expect for my money, whether to sit tight and save abit more etc but its still an anxious time and the whole, 'OMG! What if ive bought a fruit loop and its still being a tit in 3 months time' scenario!! Always told my daughters it wasnt nerves they were feeling but excited butterflies, think of it that way and it all seems so much better. Your new boy is gorgeous btw

Aww thanks, I'm a sucker for a ginger! I think with him there is a slight element of the unknown as he's been bought unseen, is my first proper baby and I have no idea how big he might end up, which I think is adding to the "oh god what have I done" feeling. But we've had two before, and I'm genuinely excited about the idea of working with a completely blank canvas so I'm sure it'll be fine.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I have a new saddle, its an inanimate object and costs nothing to keep but I'm so very scared its a bad decision! It never ends. :D

Haha I know exactly what you mean. OH had to put up with me last night and declared "you just don't like spending money"... not that I'm tight, I just get a kick from watching my savings grow (and then watching M obliterate them with a vet bill!)

Alibear

Visit site
Haha I know exactly what you mean. OH had to put up with me last night and declared "you just don't like spending money"... not that I'm tight, I just get a kick from watching my savings grow (and then watching M obliterate them with a vet bill!)

And this is exactly what stunt the horse the saddle is for pulled on the day the new saddle arrived. It may be sitting there un-used for sometime...

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
And this is exactly what stunt the horse the saddle is for pulled on the day the new saddle arrived. It may be sitting there un-used for sometime...

Aww no...I know that feeling well. I dread to think what stunt M will pull when he realises he has a little brother to share me with.

MasterBenedict

Visit site
It's very exciting but also totally nerve wracking isn't it?!

I put down a deposit on a 2 week old foal a little while ago. She doesn't arrive until end of Jan/Feb so trying not to get too excited in case anything goes wrong (I am an eternal worrier), but I keep going from one extreme of being overjoyed at the thought of her arriving to wondering what the hell I'm getting myself into.

I think it helps calm me a bit when I remind myself that I bought my now 7yr old boy as a 13 month old colt, who is everything I ever wanted and more. I went through exactly the same thought process back then. Can't wait to see your updates OP.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
It's very exciting but also totally nerve wracking isn't it?!

I put down a deposit on a 2 week old foal a little while ago. She doesn't arrive until end of Jan/Feb so trying not to get too excited in case anything goes wrong (I am an eternal worrier), but I keep going from one extreme of being overjoyed at the thought of her arriving to wondering what the hell I'm getting myself into.

I think it helps calm me a bit when I remind myself that I bought my now 7yr old boy as a 13 month old colt, who is everything I ever wanted and more. I went through exactly the same thought process back then. Can't wait to see your updates OP.

Huge thanks for this from a fellow eternal worrier...I even held off on transferring the money until I knew he would be getting on the transporter just in case something happened in the meantime. I don't think it helps that things went so horribly wrong with Pops as it just has me worrying about every little thing, most of which is totally out of my control! But glad to hear I'm not alone. It's great to hear about your 7yo too, as hopefully I'll be saying similar things about D in 7 years time, assuming he doesn't grow like a weed! But yes, the whole thing is most definitely a mix of pure excitement and utter fear right now!

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I was thinking of you today as I know the little fella was arriving, I hope his settling in well :)

Unfortunately the transporter had a few delays so it looks like he won't arrive til the morning now. They did send me this of him settling in at their base though and said he's really sweet ☺️IMG-20181109-WA0002.jpg