The grey horse jumping HUGE over a jump, free schooling

Kadastorm

Visit site
I haven’t linked it, but those with Facebook may well have seen it. The dealers have also removed their advert and YouTube video.
It’s a 3 year old grey stallion, making a huge leap over a fence. In the original YouTube vid, it was obviously being wrapped/rapped. There are lots of people saying ‘wow’ and lots saying it’s wrong.
Personally, I don’t like the practise of wrapping and especially on such a young horse. I got told earlier by someone commenting that I had ‘little knowledge’. I soon put them to rights when I told them I had a relevant degree and knew of the dealers and the age of the horse.
But still, I know it’s only my opinion. Have you seen the video being shared? The original by the dealer has been taken down but others have copied and are sharing. I won’t reveal the dealer but I don’t agree with this method of training, especially on such a young horse who is still developing.

What do you guys think?

I’m not looking for an argument, I am just interested in people’s points of view!

LaurenBay

Visit site
I have seen it several times, I was amazed at the scope! However I did not realize it was previously rapped, so that changes things. But what a jump!

Last edited:

stormox

Visit site
I haven’t linked it, but those with Facebook may well have seen it. The dealers have also removed their advert and YouTube video.
It’s a 3 year old grey stallion, making a huge leap over a fence. In the original YouTube vid, it was obviously being wrapped/rapped. There are lots of people saying ‘wow’ and lots saying it’s wrong.
Personally, I don’t like the practise of wrapping and especially on such a young horse. I got told earlier by someone commenting that I had ‘little knowledge’. I soon put them to rights when I told them I had a relevant degree and knew of the dealers and the age of the horse.
But still, I know it’s only my opinion. Have you seen the video being shared? The original by the dealer has been taken down but others have copied and are sharing. I won’t reveal the dealer but I don’t agree with this method of training, especially on such a young horse who is still developing.

What do you guys think?

I’m not looking for an argument, I am just interested in people’s points of view!

I have seen it. I assumed it was on the continent? I think it may have been more than rapped- electric wire over a fence? Electric boots? Something to make it supersensitive rubbed onto its cannons? It does not look a natural jump, nor does the horse look happy.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I haven't seen it, but would be interested in what you mean by 'obviously rapped'....?

Personally I don't like rapping, I think it's unfair and almost always knocks their confidence. Ruining a young horse's confidence is the single worst thing you can do ime.

Kadastorm

Visit site
I have seen it several times, I was amazed at the scope! However I did not realize it was previously rapped, so that changes things. But what a jump!

I agree, it can jump! And I know these dealers are not beating it to do this. But I don’t like that such young horses are jumping this height. My little pony jumped like that (at 5yrs) without wrapping and if I hadn’t seen the woman wrapping this horse in the video I would have presumed it did just the same. The people who are selling this horse are very good but I just don’t like the thought of a 3 year old jumping like this because of his bone and soft tissue development.

Am I just being a pansy?

Kadastorm

Visit site
I have seen it. I assumed it was on the continent? I think it may have been more than rapped- electric wire over a fence? Electric boots? Something to make it supersensitive rubbed onto its cannons? It does not look a natural jump, nor does the horse look happy.

It was bought from the continent but is in Kent and these are the ones advertising xx

Kadastorm

Visit site
I haven't seen it, but would be interested in what you mean by 'obviously rapped'....?

Personally I don't like rapping, I think it's unfair and almost always knocks their confidence. Ruining a young horse's confidence is the single worst thing you can do ime.

In the video people were whipping him on the fetlock area to make him jump higher. He is only 3 years old so not really strong enough to be jumping that height. It really saddened me. Others may feel differently as there is a mixed reaction on Facebook but many of my friends and acquaintances feel the same as I do.

Visit site
No matter what has happened to it in the past by continuing to teach it to show 'scope' all they are doing are giving it joint and soft tissues damage by the time the poor critter is 10yo.

If it was a one off of someone loose schooling their horse who got a bit over enthusiastic once or twice I would probably laugh but this is ruining a young horse who would probably have had a decent future. Imo

Kadastorm

Visit site
No matter what has happened to it in the past by continuing to teach it to show 'scope' all they are doing are giving it joint and soft tissues damage by the time the poor critter is 10yo.

If it was a one off of someone loose schooling their horse who got a bit over enthusiastic once or twice I would probably laugh but this is ruining a young horse who would probably have had a decent future. Imo

My thoughts exactly! Thank you x

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
In the video people were whipping him on the fetlock area to make him jump higher. He is only 3 years old so not really strong enough to be jumping that height. It really saddened me. Others may feel differently as there is a mixed reaction on Facebook but many of my friends and acquaintances feel the same as I do.

Well that is a profoundly cruel thing to do - chasing a horse into a situation where it knows it's going to get hit...very horrible.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I didn’t know the horse had been rapped but I did think when I saw it that it was jumping unusually high which often happens when a horse has lost confidence. A young horse jumping that big is unlikely to stay sound with all that impact on joints and soft tissues. I felt quite uncomfortable watching it and it’s reassuring to know others saw the same thing.

Casey76

Visit site
I’ve seen the video, and I cringe every time. All I can think of is the horrific strain on the front legs upon landing. You can see the horse jerk his neck to try and balance before cantering off, because it’s such a sudden deceleration.

popsdosh

Visit site
Whatever your views on jumping horses at that age and its not comfortable viewing . The horse in the video is NOT being rapped.
To be honest I have seen a lot worse in sports horse classes at county shows, not that it excuses it.

Last edited:

Kadastorm

Visit site
Whatever your views on jumping horses at that age and its not comfortable viewing . The horse in the video is NOT being rapped.

Looks like the woman is hitting him with a lunge whip to me! But as I said, the YouTube video has been taken down so you can’t see it.

popsdosh

Visit site
Looks like the woman is hitting him with a lunge whip to me! But as I said, the YouTube video has been taken down so you can’t see it.
So are you saying the video link above is not what you saw? Sorry just edited that in if thats the case disregard the later comments.
To far away to make contact .You dont stand there to rap a horse. I have seen it done to many times. done by the right person it is a legitimate training aid with the emphasis on the right person and used for the right reason ie never to punish a horse.

Last edited:

lannerch

Visit site
I had a look at the other horses these dealers have for sale, although none of the others jump as extravagantly as the grey they all allow significant air over the fence, makes me very suspicious of rapping or possibly worse.

stormox

Visit site
To be honest I have seen a lot worse in sports horse classes at county shows, not that it excuses it.

It isnt being rapped in the video, I would think the video has been done for sales purposes. But I am pretty sure it has been rapped previously, or had electric wire above the fence, or special boots on. No horse gives that much air to a fence if it is jumping naturally and happily.

lannerch

Visit site
It isnt being rapped in the video, I would think the video has been done for sales purposes. But I am pretty sure it has been rapped previously, or had electric wire above the fence, or special boots on. No horse gives that much air to a fence if it is jumping naturally and happily.
Exactly it’s the methods employed previously to get their horses jumping so extravagantly that worry me.
No one would blatantly rap their horses actually on the sales video itself.

popsdosh

Visit site

I think you may have got a bit carried away. Why not go all the way barbed wire wrapped poles ,hedgehogs etc etc .I would back off a bit with unproven scenarios you never know what lawyers are watching. Young green horses can have a tendency to over do the clearance bit however that is no proof of wrong doing. The horse looks happy enough doing it!
As I say not sure what it achieves is uncertain as no experienced buyer would go near it for several reasons.

By the way I have seen a lot but how does the electric wire one work? Dont see it working myself or another one for folklore

Last edited:

Mule

Visit site
I'm surprised to see rapping being defended. I haven't seen the video of this horse. But in general, if a horse is making the effort to jump the fence it can't be right to cause it pain in order to get it to jump higher. I wonder if there's another way that perhaps hasn't been thought of or won't be thought of while rapping is considered acceptable. People tend to be very creative when they have no choice but to find new solutions.

Ladyinred

Visit site
I am old enough to remember a famous International showjumper being outed for rapping his horses with poles covered in hedgehog skins. I thought after the outcry the practice had been made illegal?

Mule

Visit site
I am old enough to remember a famous International showjumper being outed for rapping his horses with poles covered in hedgehog skins. I thought after the outcry the practice had been made illegal?

It is illegal, per fei rules. But it still seems to be a widely accepted method.

ManBearPig

Visit site
By the way I have seen a lot but how does the electric wire one work? Dont see it working myself or another one for folklore

I would have thought the horse would have to be grounded in order for it to cause a shock? So not really useful unless the horse touches the fence on take off or landing, so more likely to cause stopping/running out or bucking on landing rather than making it jump higher.