The HHO LGV (HGV) Info clinic

ROG

Visit site
Hi ROG, any idea how long the medical is valid for? I have my C1 Provisional licence that expires in 2026, but is the medical valid for that long or would I have to get another one done after a certain amount of time?
Thanks!

Until you are aged 45 or if over 40 then it is valid for 5 years

Theory pass only lasts for 2 years

ArcticFox

www.bryland.co.uk
Hi Rog,

can you advise?

I am thinking about upgrading my 7.5t horsebox to a 12t HGV. I already hold my HGV license, have had it for a few years and I have the animal transport competency cert.

I plan to use the lorry for my own horses, and for private use. I do compete (as an amateur rider) at international events, and will be heading to Ireland this year (maybe), and possibly france/portugal etc in the future. There is an outside chance I may take a friends horse along but not for reward - they may contribute to the diesel costs.

my questions are:

Do I need to change my license?
do I need to do some CPD or am I ok to just go ahead and drive the hgv once upgraded?
Do I need a CPC? or some thing - I have no idea what that involves but I thought that as its for private use I am ok, however I think this might change once upgraded to HGV??
do I need a tacho?
Does it make a difference if I take a friend along paying for half the diesel?
Anything else I haven't considered?

many thanks, hope you can help.

ArcticFox

www.bryland.co.uk
Also, sorry to be a pain, I work mon-fri 9-5. my journey time to work takes 25mins by car. does this make a difference to driving the HGV? I've read through your advice and just wanted clarification.

many thanks

ROG

Visit site
Hi Rog,

can you advise?

I am thinking about upgrading my 7.5t horsebox to a 12t HGV. I already hold my HGV license, have had it for a few years and I have the animal transport competency cert.

I plan to use the lorry for my own horses, and for private use. I do compete (as an amateur rider) at international events, and will be heading to Ireland this year (maybe), and possibly france/portugal etc in the future. There is an outside chance I may take a friends horse along but not for reward - they may contribute to the diesel costs.

my questions are:

Do I need to change my license?
do I need to do some CPD or am I ok to just go ahead and drive the hgv once upgraded?
Do I need a CPC? or some thing - I have no idea what that involves but I thought that as its for private use I am ok, however I think this might change once upgraded to HGV??
do I need a tacho?
Does it make a difference if I take a friend along paying for half the diesel?
Anything else I haven't considered?

many thanks, hope you can help.

Also, sorry to be a pain, I work mon-fri 9-5. my journey time to work takes 25mins by car. does this make a difference to driving the HGV? I've read through your advice and just wanted clarification.

many thanks
I assume you have LGV C ? - I ask because the old HGV terminology went out in 1991

No need to change licence as LGV means LGV whether commercial or private

No driver CPC needed if you mean that by CPD because driver CPC if for commercial LGV driving

Commercial would be to make or intend to make a profit so having a friend split the travel costs does not come under commercial
Friend could pay all the costs for travel in exchange for you transporting their horse as well as yours if you wanted to and that is still not commercial

YOU WILL BE SUBJECT TO THE FULL EU TACHO REGULATIONS so if you work during the week that time cannot be used as rest for the regs and must be recorded - a diary is deemed ok for the UK authorities but not for other EU countries who require those records to be officially manually recorded on separate daily analogue charts or digi print out paper

Generally, if you work mon to fri then you can only drive LGVs over 7.5 tonnes GVW privately for one day every other weekend

Commuting by car or driving private LGV under 7.5 tonnes does not need recording for EU regs

ROG

Visit site
Need to get my HGV license to gain a bit of independence.
Have gotten all the paper work and booked in for my medical but where do I go from there?!

Should I buy some HGV theory test books? If so does this look okay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LGV-HGV-P...298124?hash=item1c640782cc:g:akoAAOSwxp9W9~Pg

Also am I going to need to get my CPC? I am just going to be driving it for non-commercial uses but I do travel all over the country to compete. Does that have any bearing on what I need to do?
Any other tips and advice?!

No driver CPC needed for private/non commercial LGV driving

Commercial LGV means to intend to or to make a profit

free theory - try all 1000 = http://mocktheorytest.com/highway-code/heavy_vehicle/

HPT - cannot help with that but you might be able to find a couple of online free practice ones - same as the car HPT test but need to score more for LGV

chocolategirl

Visit site
VOSA do not deal with licence issues - the DVLA do

A C1 licence is the same whether you are using it for the UK or abroad

You will need to do the initial driver CPC modules 2 & 4 if you intend to use it for commercial purposes such as for your job

I would seriously consider doing the LGV C course instead of the C1 if intending to use LGV for commercial - more difficult gearbox but otherwise its virtually the same course and test

Would completely agree with this! I never understand why people bother with the C1 you may as well go straight for the C.

LCH611

Visit site
ROG I would be very grateful if you could point me in the direction of where I can find the answer to this...... we have a seasonal employee who comes in from New Zealand in april and leaves at the end of July (so is not resident for 185 days). He got all his HGV licences in NZ in 1990. Is he able to drive our 7.5 tonne horseboxes over here (to privately transport the boss' polo ponies)? And also the HGV lorry? Thanks v much - it seems v difficult to find the answer to this as I thought it was no, but when VOSA were stopping lorries on the way to polo last year, they didn't seem to have a problem with someone driving in exactly this situation.......

ROG

Visit site
ROG I would be very grateful if you could point me in the direction of where I can find the answer to this...... we have a seasonal employee who comes in from New Zealand in april and leaves at the end of July (so is not resident for 185 days). He got all his HGV licences in NZ in 1990. Is he able to drive our 7.5 tonne horseboxes over here (to privately transport the boss' polo ponies)? And also the HGV lorry? Thanks v much - it seems v difficult to find the answer to this as I thought it was no, but when VOSA were stopping lorries on the way to polo last year, they didn't seem to have a problem with someone driving in exactly this situation.......

I cannot find the definitive answer on the internet for LGVs so will call DVLA tomorrow

ROG

Visit site
These fellow members on another site found the answer - http://www.trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=146602&p=2317218#p2317176
If you’ve got a bus or lorry licence you can only drive buses or lorries that are registered outside Great Britain if you’ve actually driven the vehicle into Great Britain yourself.

Got that answer from following the Gov link provided by one of those members

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Hi ROG. Not a specific enquiry, just thinking ahead.

My horse weighs a tonne (literally - Suffolk Punch). When he was delivered this time last year he was in a modified sheep trailer (middle floor removed) being towed by a big range rover. When we moved yards we hired a company and they used a 7.5t lorry and put him across the lorry, over the back axel. He really didn't enjoy this at all.

I only have a regular licence at the moment and wanted to get some opinions on the best long term strategy for travelling my horse. Most 3.5t horse boxes have a 1200 capacity which doesn't leave much for tack, rider, fuel, driver and other essentials, after the weight of the horse has been taken into account.

We don't travel often but in future I'd like to do some occasional outings, likely not very far. What is the best strategy for a horse this size? Should I look at an LGV license or do you think a trailer and tow car is a better option? (I'll need to do a trailer test).

ROG

Visit site
Hi ROG. Not a specific enquiry, just thinking ahead.

My horse weighs a tonne (literally - Suffolk Punch). When he was delivered this time last year he was in a modified sheep trailer (middle floor removed) being towed by a big range rover. When we moved yards we hired a company and they used a 7.5t lorry and put him across the lorry, over the back axel. He really didn't enjoy this at all.

I only have a regular licence at the moment and wanted to get some opinions on the best long term strategy for travelling my horse. Most 3.5t horse boxes have a 1200 capacity which doesn't leave much for tack, rider, fuel, driver and other essentials, after the weight of the horse has been taken into account.

We don't travel often but in future I'd like to do some occasional outings, likely not very far. What is the best strategy for a horse this size? Should I look at an LGV license or do you think a trailer and tow car is a better option? (I'll need to do a trailer test).

Being as it will be occasional then I would go for a trailer if you can find one suitable for his size - weight should not be an issue because on a B+E set up with a tow vehicle capable of towing say 2200 then a trailer weighing 1000 empty with a MAM of 2200 or more will be legal and safe

B+E is likely to cost max £700 whereas LGV is going to be well over £1000 all in

Getting B+E can be much cheaper if you can get in some reversing and some on road experience under B+E L rules - those that do that can often do a little training with an instructor in the morning then test in the afternoon !

Farmer Chalk

Visit site
Mirrors mirrors mirrors.... hang back on the approach to any hazard and let it develop and give yourself thinking time... don’t go into the hazard without anticipating your next move...

ROG

Visit site
Mirrors mirrors mirrors.... hang back on the approach to any hazard and let it develop and give yourself thinking time... don’t go into the hazard without anticipating your next move...
That would be plan A
Now have plans B & C ready in case plan A is a no go

If you have 3 plans in your head then which is the SAFEST one ?